Beta Reader Group discussion

Just had this funny beta reading dream...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 3 comments Last night I dreamed I gave my manuscript to a beta reader for the first time. Like ever. Five minutes later, she gave it back to me and said, "I read the first chapter. It wasn't riveting. Not only was it not riveting, it kind of pissed me off."

:-O

Unfortunately, before I could ask her what about it made her mad, I woke up.

Nooooooooo!

It might be interesting to note that my brain placed this interaction in the idyllic setting of a beautiful beach. Maybe to soften the blow. Haha! I thought it was funny. Just thought I'd share.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This terrifies me. I just sent my MS to two betas yesterday. First people ever to look at my MS. I'm kind of crapping my pants with anxiety over here, lol.

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 3 comments Writing is baring your soul. Offering it for someone to read is giving them a piece of your soul. We can only hope they don't stomp on it. Constructively pointing out flaws is good. Stomping is bad.

message 4: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 13 comments ah the terror

message 5: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments May I agree with Zoe. Any critiquing should result in a win win situation.

Constructive criticism is invaluable. No one is perfect and our works will contain areas that could at least do with improvement.

Destructive criticism says more about the critic than what they are reading and critiquing. So up theirs! It's their problem, not yours.

However, I do agree that leaving our writing/offerings for some time before rereading is a good idea. We can then see our flaws separated by time from the emotion of achievement of finishing our work.

So, take heart! It's all good! And no one can take that away from us.