Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Additional Nominee Read Schedule & Results - 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Alongside the group's monthly reads of the award winners, we also have a Monthly Additional Nominee Read.

Group members will vote on each the awards category nominees (minus the winner of course!) throughout the year to decide which runner up will be the additional group read.

The poll voting is always scheduled so members will have approximately a month's notice before the read is scheduled to start. The schedule and results will be posted below.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
x

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments No January? :(

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
No, it was more about wanting enough time to inform all the members about the changes, followed by enough time to vote and leave space to organise getting the book.
Decided to start the reads in Febraury because of this.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "No, it was more about wanting enough time to inform all the members about the changes, followed by enough time to vote and leave space to organise getting the book.
Decided to start the reads in F..."

Makes sense

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Our first nominee additional read poll of the year can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

It will go live Dec 27, 2015 12:00AM PST

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lynn wrote: "Our first nominee additional read poll of the year can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

It will go live Dec 27, 2015 12:00AM PST"

Woooo! Scifi!!

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
The winner of the Science Fiction Poll was .......

The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood The Heart Goes Last

We will be reading this at the beginning of February.

message 10: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I found Oryx and Crake so boring I dont know if I want to try another Atwood. :(

message 11: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I found Oryx and Crake so boring I dont know if I want to try another Atwood. :("

Ditto

message 12: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm not sure about it either. I loved Oryx & Crake, but the summary of this one doesn't interest me at all. I'm probably going to read Beacon or Armada instead.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
The Heart Goes Last doesn't really appeal to me either. I plan to skip that one. I wonder if it got more votes for the author or the story? Just curious if there are a lot of Atwood fans that want to read it just because she wrote it. (Nothing wrong with that - I read books based on the author sometimes too.) I hope the voters read and discuss.

message 14: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Janina wrote: "I'm not sure about it either. I loved Oryx & Crake, but the summary of this one doesn't interest me at all. I'm probably going to read Beacon or Armada instead."

My vote was for Armada .... which did come in second.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I thought Beacon looked interesting. That would have been my first choice. I also would have been interested in The Fold, but neither came really close.

message 16: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I voted for Beacon too, Kristie. Seveneves and The Water Knife are also on my tbr. The Fold looks interesting as well.

message 17: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lynn wrote: "My vote was for Armada .... which did come in second. ."

I read Armada last year. I liked it. Regardless of what the Ready Player One fanatics say, it was still a good book.

message 18: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I haven't really read a lot in this category, ever. I am looking forward to The Heart Goes Last. I actually haven't read anything by this author yet so crossing fingers. I did think Beacon 23: The Complete Novel also looked good so I want to fit it in somewhere at sometime.

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz I think Seveneves sounds really good. The description makes me think of the tv show The 100, which I absolutely love.

message 20: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
Liz wrote: "I think Seveneves sounds really good. The description makes me think of the tv show The 100, which I absolutely love."

Me too Liz, I think I will propose it as a buddy read.

message 21: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Savanes wrote: "Liz wrote: "I think Seveneves sounds really good. The description makes me think of the tv show The 100, which I absolutely love."

Me too Liz, I think I will propose it as a buddy ..."

I would join this

message 22: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'd like to read it as well, but I'm not sure when I'd find the time. Sounds like a rather long read ...

message 23: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I made the buddy read request ally!

message 24: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Next additional read poll is up - poetry this time.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Poll will close on Sunday 17th

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 19 comments ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I found Oryx and Crake so boring I dont know if I want to try another Atwood. :("

Boring? *shakes head in disbelief*

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 19 comments Not a big fan of poetry - I just never have gotten the hang of reading it. But the Shakesperean one looks fun.

message 27: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
The winner of the poetry additional read poll was:

Pop Sonnets Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs by Erik Didriksen Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs

We will be reading it from the 15th of February

message 28: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
The YA Fantasy additional read poll is now open for voting.

message 29: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Does anyone know if An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir is a duology, trilogy, series? If it's a duology, then I'd read it because book two is set to come out in April. If its a trilogy (or more) I'm going to pass.

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "Does anyone know if An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir is a duology, trilogy, series? If it's a duology, then I'd read it because book two is set to come out in April. If its a trilogy (or ..."

Obviously they could be incorrect but according to this, there will be 4 books.

message 31: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Jan 25, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

I read the Q&A and that's one of he answer:
"Penguin originally bought just 'An Ember in the Ashes' as a standalone book. The end wasn't exactly a huge cliff hanger, it just left room for a second story if there ever was going to be one and now that there is I'm super excited about it! I believe the first one ends fine, some people really want to find out what happens and others don't. It can be left just where it ended I don't think it matters too much but I definitely know that when the second book comes out I'm definitely going to read it. So basically it just depends on the person. Hope that helped!"

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I like that you can read it as a standalone, if you choose.

message 33: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I like that you can read it as a standalone, if you choose."

Every review I've read has complained about the ending and calling for a second book ..... I'm not sure many would agree about the standalone theory lol

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 25, 2016 10:31AM) (new)

Ahhh...well that stinks. lol

message 35: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Thanks ladies :)

So I'm out. LOL! Unless the books follow different characters...

I'm always so hesitant to go looking for info like this because I don't want to read spoilers!

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Well, it hasn't won the poll yet, but most of the other nominees are parts of series too.

message 37: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Actually, that makes it more intriguing to me as I love open ended books.

In a way, I wish there were more standalone books in the fantasy genre, but I also always want more if it's a good world ...

message 38: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "Thanks ladies :)

So I'm out. LOL! Unless the books follow different characters...

I'm always so hesitant to go looking for info like this because I don't want to read spoilers!"

Nope, it's the same characters

message 39: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
So the YA Fantasy poll ended up in a tie between two books.

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1 and Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)

We are having a quick tie breaker poll which can be found at:

Only two days for voting, ending tomorrow (2nd Feb)

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
So at the end of a close run poll and a tie breaker, our winner for YA Fantasy additional read is .......

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir An Ember in the Ashes

message 41: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

YES!!!!

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ooooh, looking forward to this one!

message 43: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Me too! I've been wanting to read this anyways.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

lol, Savanes! Hooray for you!! *\o/*

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Next additional read poll for Food & Cookbooks is currently open until Sunday 14th, 11.59pm GMT

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Another close poll, the winner for Food & Cookbooks additional read is:

The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook Sweet Treats for the Geek in All of Us by Rosanna Pansino

message 47: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Mystery & Thriller additional read poll is up and waiting for your votes. You can find it at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Poll will close Feb 27th, 11.59pm GMT

message 48: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "Mystery & Thriller additional read poll is up and waiting for your votes. You can find it at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Poll will close Feb 27th, 11.59pm GMT"

And the winner was ........

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll Luckiest Girl Alive

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Hurray! My library hold came in quickly for Luckiest Girl Alive! I will get to discuss it in the correct month.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

That's great, Valerie!

« previous 1 3