PAWI Reads discussion

Book recommendations > What was the best book you read in 2015?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krislarsc) | 6 comments Mod
It's almost the end of the year. What was the best book you read in 2015? Can't wait to hear everyone's favorites!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Nadworny (KatrinkaSasha) | 1 comments Mod
Just off the top of my head, Istanbul Passage by Joseph Kanon. Couldn't put it down, it was so many things I love-- mystery, intrigue, thrill, Istanbul :-)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments My favorite fiction was probably The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. An "older" title, but beautifully written. For nonfiction, I found the memoir, It's What I Do: a photographer's life of love and war by Lynsey Addario, fascinating.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 2 comments Not the best I read in 2015, but I just finished Nell Zink's MISLAID and found it well-written and hilarious. You can read a detailed bio of her in an old New Yorker article (you can find it online).

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Haskin | 1 comments Unbroken was such a page-turner! I also learned a lot from portrait of a Turkish family and birds without wings, which also turned into a page turner after page 200 or so.

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krislarsc) | 6 comments Mod
Like Michelle, I really enjoyed A Portrait of a Turkish Family by Irfan Orga. I also just read The Girl with the Seven Names, the true story of a North Korean defector, and it really is an extraordinary story. For food-related stories (one of my fav genres), Life from Scratch and Kitchens of the Midwest were both great.

message 7: by K (new)

K | 4 comments Mod
One of the best nonfiction books I read in 2015 was "Just Mercy: a tale of justice and redemption" by Bryan Stevenson. Bryan Stevenson is a real-life Atticus Finch. What he has to say is so important this book was chosen the Best Nonfiction of the Year by the American Library Association, Publisher's Weekly said his speech was the finest book prize acceptance speech ever given, Starbucks chose his book to sell all across America, the Dayton Literary Peace Prize selected his title as the one that would contribute the most to world peace, the University of Wisconsin choose it as their "Big Read," and the MacArthur Foundation gave him a genius award. Along with these stellar groups, I recommend every single American read this book! It's so compelling, you will finish it in less than a week.

The second spectacular non-fiction book I read this year is one I believe Americans will still be reading 200 years from now. It is "Between the World and Me," by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Ta-Nehisi Coates' writing is so profound, I intend to read every word he ever writes. He makes me see myself as an American white person differently than I would on my own and spurs me to action on behalf of justice. This book is a masterpiece.

For fiction, the book that has haunted me is "The Good Life Elsewhere" by Moldovan author Vladimir Lorchenkov. I shouldn't have liked it as he uses magical realism, and I am not a fan of magical realism, but the book has stayed under my skin. He wrote this book as a comedy about Moldovans wanting to emigrate from their country, it could have been a tragedy, and I still think about it weekly. I think all of us currently seeing one of the world's great migrations of people would appreciate this book.