ONTD Book Club discussion

Best and Worst of 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Since it is somehow already December, let us know your favorites and total disasters of the year.

message 2: by home (new)

home | 1 comments A Little Life https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

and an Untamed State https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I didn't realize I would be reading such depressing books this year but they were both so good!

message 3: by Thania (new)

Thania (misha4ever) | 23 comments Mod
Well, I read 2 books that people in an ONTD book post recommended me and both sucked really bad: The Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Magicians. SOOOOOOO BAD! I'm trying to finish The Magicians but it's painfully bad.

But no all things are lost, I read 2 great books also recommended in ONTD: Never Let Me Go and Rebecca <3

message 4: by Amira (last edited Dec 04, 2015 05:13AM) (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Will post my list soon! It's been a decent year.

Anita wrote: "A Little Life https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

and an Untamed State https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I didn't realize I would be reading suc..."

I bought it recently! Really looking forward to reading it sometime soon. Apparently the writing isn't great, but the story is worth it which isn't the worst thing ever for your first novel.

message 5: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Copying and pasting my other post here. Oops!

My favorite book this year is Dark Places. It was just so disturbing and lingered with me for days.

The most disappointing book for me is Uprooted. Started off interesting and then I couldn't wait for it to end.

I'm currently reading The Night Circus and it is beautifully written. We'll see what my final verdict is when I finish it.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Misha wrote: "Well, I read 2 books that people in an ONTD book post recommended me and both sucked really bad: The Forest of Hands and Teeth"

I read this book simply because of the bad reviews, okay, mostly because of . Wigs's.

These are my status updates while reading it:
9.0% "Oh, jesus. The story had better be good, because the punctuation is terrible."
42.0% "This book is the equivalent of a CW show." 85.0% "Not much left. These people are all morons."

It is on my "never again" shelf. I did read the rest of the series for lulz and it never got better. I think one had an amusement park?

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 10 comments Best for me this year was Station Eleven - It really stuck with me and I loved it. Tied for first is probably All the Light We Cannot See. Most disappointing was probably Uprooted - I enjoyed it but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting and I felt like I was just waiting for it to get better and it never really did.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Brittany wrote: "Best for me this year was Station Eleven - It really stuck with me and I loved it."

Yes, such a great book. I want to graphic novel they talk about all throughout the novel so badly!!!

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Lauren (littledeer) | 7 comments Lynda wrote: "Copying and pasting my other post here. Oops!

My favorite book this year is Dark Places. It was just so disturbing and lingered with me for days.

The most disappointing book for me is Uprooted. S..."

I was disappointed with Uprooted as well.

I loved The Night Circus however, it was one of those books that I didn't want to end. You'll have to let me/us know how you end up liking it, because I have no one to talk about it with!

message 10: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Jess wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Best for me this year was Station Eleven - It really stuck with me and I loved it."

Yes, such a great book. I want to graphic novel they talk about all throughout..."

I read an AMA by Emily SJM (the author) that she is possibly going to write that graphic novel! I am excited if that will come to fruition.

Apparently since this is my first post I am supposed to say my username. I'm corduroyskirt.

message 11: by Thania (new)

Thania (misha4ever) | 23 comments Mod
Elissa wrote:
Welcome!

message 12: by Wigs (last edited Dec 09, 2015 10:29AM) (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
The Forest of Hands and Teeth was garbage, yasss drag it!!!

Best for me was The Secret History and I really liked The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I also think I really liked Dance with Dragons but I read that in January and it's hard to remember. Also Hyperbole and a Half!

Worst was The Snow Child. Avoid at all costs. Book where a ton of animals die yay .... :(

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:42PM) (new)

Michelle | 45 comments I started on The Buried Giant The Buried Giant and it killed any ability I had to enjoy any book. So slow and plodding and I've read almost nothing else after March.

I loved The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration and Wench, but as for books published this year, Modern Romance was the best but The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks was a cute book for early teens that my niece liked.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Wigs wrote: Best for me was The Secret History..."

That will probably end up on my Best of list, which I didn't expect, but it has stuck in my head.

message 15: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments my favs were So Much Pretty and The Handmaid's Tale.
Least favs were Damned and Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality.

I long for the days when i enjoyed reading Palahniuk.

message 16: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 31 comments I read mostly romance (they're fun, what can I say?) and this might've been the worst year I've ever had, with a quarter of my reads coming in at 1 star, and another quarter or so being rated a 2. Either I've just had really bad luck with books or I've just become super unforgiving.

I quite liked the Soul Eater series (Cracked, being the first) by Eliza Crewe and found the main character to be really fun (and references like TMNT also helped in making me like the book). How to Capture a Countess was probably my favourite romance (it features a manwhore H but I liked the love/hate aspect and the one-upmanship between the two).

Hard to pick a most disliked...could it be the books with the sexist elements? The second chance romances in which the "hero" gets to move on while the heroine doesn't (even when spending 15 years apart)? The abuse passed off as "domestic discipline"? The one with the slut-shaming and rape? That other one with the slut-shaming?

It's been a fun year.

(Sorry about the super long comment. I tend to be long-winded. I haven't posted before so this is my first post here! And I've been a member of ONTD for a number of years but I've never posted so I don't know if it'll matter if I give my username or not??)

message 17: by Wigs (new)

Welcome to the club, sraxe!! :D And don't worry, long winded comments are awesome. I love reading a lot of discussion!

message 18: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments MNLO wrote: "I finally read On The Road this year and was surprised that I could understand the appeal."

It took me two years to finish this *sigh*

@sraxe

Maybe it's genre fatigue? I'm quite forgiving on romances (chick-lit falls under this right??), but probably wouldn't be if I read it a lot.

message 19: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 31 comments Wigs wrote: "Welcome to the club, sraxe!! :D And don't worry, long winded comments are awesome. I love reading a lot of discussion!"

Thanks! And that's a relief...I just look at some of the reviews I've written and they're just so damn long. If only I had that kind of inspiration when writing papers for school.

Amira wrote: "Maybe it's genre fatigue? I'm quite forgiving on romances (chick-lit falls under this right??), but probably wouldn't be if I read it a lot."

Hmmm maybe that's it. I do try and read a variety of stuff (PNR, UF, YA, etc), but I like having a good romance in there somewhere usually. The only stuff that doesn't appeal to me under romance is erotica (so much terrible written, barely edited, self-pubbed erotica these days). And what the heck is with the rise of step sibling and victim/bully (read: abuser) romances?? Ugh. I avoid that and the dark "romance" stuff.

And as for chick lit...I dunno if that falls under romance? Romance usually means that there's a guaranteed HEA and that the romantic relationship is the main aspect of the book, while chick lit usually concentrates on other relationships (family, friends, etc) and doesn't necessarily have an HEA (in the sense that the main characters end up together in a romantic relationship).

message 20: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments MHJ wrote: "Welcome!"

Thanks!

My favorites that I read this year...
1. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
3. The Lunar Chronicles series (I read the entire series this year)
4. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
5. 11/22/63 by Stephen King

Least favorites:
1. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (mehh)
2. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (MEHHHH)
3. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (it was okay, but I expected more? or better? too hyped IMO)

message 21: by Jess (new)

My worst of the year so far is Less Than Zero. I finished it this afternoon and was ready to burn my kindle afterwards. Yuck, what a waste of time to read this crap.

message 22: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Vanessa wrote: "Lynda wrote: "Copying and pasting my other post here. Oops!

The most disappointing book for me ..."

Vanessa, I just finished the book! It was so beautiful. The writing is perfect, the imagery was amazing, and I really liked all the characters. I did have to say that not a lot happens (in terms of action sequences or the competition), but I still enjoyed the book. What did you think of the book? What's your favorite part? I really liked it when Marcos and Celia started talking to each other, and when the midnight dinners began and they were forming the circus.

message 23: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Elissa wrote: "MHJ wrote: "Welcome!"

Thanks!

My favorites that I read this year...
1. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
3. The Lunar Chronicles series (I read the entire seri..."

Elisa, I also thought The Goldfinch wasn't that great. Started off really good, and then it just got really long. I read Station Eleven and didn't have any strong feelings about that one. What did you like most about it? =)

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments Worst was by far the secret history, ugh. Worst book I've ever forced myself to finish (and that shit was LONG).

Most of the books I read this year I really enjoyed, specifically tell the wolves I'm home, a tale for the time being, and I just finished everything I never told you and it was also really good. Weirdly enough all three of these books center around death or a dead loved one in some way or another, dunno what that says about me lol.

message 25: by Wigs (last edited Dec 24, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Aw the Secret History was my fave book this year lol. I mean even if you didn't like it at least she knows how to write a book.

I read /such/ a shitty incohesive unfishined PIECE OF CRAP book I have to make sure everyone knows. DO NOT READ HORRORSTOR. It was almost an ontd book club read and I read it because it was in the poll.
DO
NOT
READ
THAT PIECE OF SHIT

Proof that connections are everything to get get a publishing deal. Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

I can't decide if that was worse or the Snow Child was worse for me.

On the one hand we have a poorly written book. On the other hand, we have a book full of animal deaths.

What is worse for me I don't know I don't know....

All I know is that tbh this was a pretty shitty year for reading for me.

I enjoyed Secret History and A Dance with Dragons but most everything else was mediocre and I am still looking for my next Song of Achilles (eg a book that I care about more than anything)

message 26: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Wigs wrote: "Aw the Secret History was my fave book this year lol. I mean even if you didn't like it at least she knows how to write a book.

I read /such/ a shitty incohesive unfishined PIECE OF CRAP book I ha..."

Thanks for the warning! I will avoid at all costs.

message 27: by Wigs (new)

Lol re: Horrorstor also I didn't put this in my review but I felt like there was some slightly uncomfortable ingrained racism in it as well. The main character (who is a white girl), out of her coworkers hates the two POC most of all and in regards to the Asian girl there was a comment like "all she had to do was act like a Japanese schoolgirl and she could have any man she wanted," even though she's introduced as Korean.

I was just like hm okay...

message 28: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Wigs wrote: "Lol re: Horrorstor also I didn't put this in my review but I felt like there was some slightly uncomfortable ingrained racism in it as well. The main character (who is a white girl), out of her cow..."

Wow... and it was a Goodreads' horror nominee?

I find it really sad that it's hard for me to trust ratings and reviews anymore because people get paid to promote crappy crap. What is even real anymore!

message 29: by Wigs (last edited Dec 24, 2015 11:32AM) (new)

Omg I'm so sorry I was trying to edit my comment and I accidentally removed the MHJ's comment above me I'm so sorry MHJ please repost your comment I fucked up

damn UI spacing makes the edit/delete of the above comment looks like it goes with the comment below it

message 30: by Wigs (new)

Lynda wrote: "Wigs wrote: "Lol re: Horrorstor also I didn't put this in my review but I felt like there was some slightly uncomfortable ingrained racism in it as well. The main character (who is a white girl), o..."

No no, I just checked it's not a nominee. I meant it was a nominee for the ontd club read at one point.

(Also as an aside let me tell you that I don't believe the Goodreads best books of the year are worth jack. People vote for what they've heard of, not necessarily for what they've had a chance to read. And nobody ever reads all the nominees so it's a skewed popularity contest. Bad books certainly win top prizes.

Case in point right here: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

Sigh.)

Anyway though, I wanted to throw in that I did enjoy reading Hunchback of Notre Dame so if any of you out there are like trying to read old classics every now and then like me I'd say it's def a good one.

Lastly, I'm kinda begging for recommendations. I'm looking for honestly your best book ever ride or die emotionally invested stuff (like how I feel about Song of Achilles.) So if you have any you can rec right now I'd like to know!

message 31: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 31 comments Lynda wrote: "I find it really sad that it's hard for me to trust ratings and reviews anymore because people get paid to promote crappy crap. What is even real anymore!"

See, that's exactly why I usually go look at the 1 and 2 star reviews because they tend to be far more honest about the book (and generally tend to be more free with providing spoilers). And I never even go by the overall rating anymore because many, many of these books are so insanely overrated.

Wigs wrote: "(Also as an aside let me tell you that I don't believe the Goodreads best books of the year are worth jack. People vote for what they've heard of, not necessarily for what they've had a chance to r..."

Seriously. Or it's a book with a gigantic fanbase that gets it voted in (like this year's YA Fantasy win going to that crap book Queen of Shadows).

(And, looking at the other nominees there, GR legit needs to make another category for erotica and stop lumping it together with romance.)

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments @ wigs lmao I thought that Donna Tart was a terrible storyteller TBH, it was sf meandering and there were so many pointless repetitive scenes I wanted to die, that woman needs a better editor IMO!!

message 33: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Lynda wrote: "I read Station Eleven and didn't have any strong feelings about that one. What did you like most about it? =) "

I'm not sure. I feel like dystopian novels always write about it immediately and don't talk about the long-aftermath. Visiting the people who were part of the "apocalypse" 20 years after the fact was so interesting. The way that society fell apart and tried to refabricate itself was fascinating. It was so tightly written, too, that I was just in awe of the author's talent. And there were little bits that made me think about how good I have it, like kids not understanding how planes fly, and how one guy reminisced about the last time he had tasted an orange. I loved it so much.

message 34: by Wigs (new)

Sounds good, Elissa! I just read the plot summary after reading this and considering that I'm a slave to Fallout right now, sounds right up my alley :) Thanks for the rec!

message 35: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Wigs wrote: "Sounds good, Elissa! I just read the plot summary after reading this and considering that I'm a slave to Fallout right now, sounds right up my alley :) Thanks for the rec!"

I hope you love it! I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Wigs wrote: "...and I am still looking for my next Song of Achilles (eg a book that I care about more than anything) "

That book. So fucking great. I know exactly what you are talking about. I only rated one (new) book 5 stars this year. I have read a lot of good 4+ star books, but nothing that was a full 5. (I also really wish Goodreads would swap to a 1-10 system. I need more room for grading them.)

message 37: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Elissa wrote: "Lynda wrote: "I read Station Eleven and didn't have any strong feelings about that one. What did you like most about it? =) "

I'm not sure. I feel like dystopian novels always write about it immed..."

Yeah, those scenes were really powerful. Thanks for reminding me.

message 38: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments Best: Dietland by Sarai Walker

Worst: honestly, I have too many to list. I read a lot of bad books this year. A couple that come to mind is Wild Justice by Kelley Armstrong and Symbiont by Mira Grant. I love Mira Grant and I wanted to like her Parasite books so much... but they're so eye roll worthy.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather (dangerousbeans) Favorites:
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
- The Tallulah Casey series
- The Secret History
- Heap House
- The Phantom Tollbooth

Disappointments:
- Landline (this was such a bad book it actually compelled me to review it)
- The Snow Child
- The Magician's Land (wish I never started this series tbh)
- Shadowplay
- The Jennifer Morgue

message 40: by Jess (new)

Heather wrote: "

Disappointments:
- Landline "

Ugh. I couldn't make it beyond page 50 in this shitshow... It was awful in every way.

message 41: by Jess (last edited Dec 30, 2015 09:56PM) (new)

After reading this thread, I deleted the Snow Child from my Kindle. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

Maybe we should have a "trigger warning" thread with all the terrible books we've read. I had to add a "graphic sexual violence" shelf this year and I didn't like having to do that, but if it keeps another person who is bothered by it away from the book, then that's worth it.
(Less Than Zero has not only the gang rape of a drugged 12-year-old, but also a snuff film of a teenaged boy and girl being raped and then murdered...)

message 42: by Wigs (last edited Dec 31, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Yes in all honesty, not that I've gotten a chance to be warned because I've read them, but I've been considering like making a list of all the books that have horrible pet deaths because that for me is my own personal thing I wish I had had a warning for.

(And wth I haven't heard of Less Than Zero but that's uh...wow)

And yes you made a really good choice removing The Snow Child from your to read.

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather (dangerousbeans) Jess wrote: "Ugh. I couldn't make it beyond page 50 in this shitshow... It was awful in every way."

You didn't miss anything except another 350 pages that could've been resolved in a paragraph if Georgie bothered to get herself together and talk to her damn husband.

A trigger warning thread is a really good idea and I would try my best to contribute to it.

Yikes @ Less Than Zero . . .

message 44: by Wigs (new)

hey guys! don't forget to go to the goodreads front page and sign up for the 2016 challenge!

I've started a thread to discuss 2016 nonsense here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 45: by Michelle (last edited Jan 21, 2016 03:30PM) (new)

Michelle | 45 comments Wigs wrote: "HORROSTOR

I read /such/ a shitty incohesive unfishined PIECE OF CRAP book I ha..."

I got an ARC of that book and still haven't read it. Thanks for the warning.

message 46: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments It's taking me forever to finish Frankenstein - started in December - and I refuse to do my best/worst of list without finishing it hahah.

So happy to see The Secret History on so many best of lists! It's definitely making mine.

message 47: by Erika (new)

Erika Sorocco Jess wrote: "Maybe we should have a "trigger warning" thread with all the terrible books we've read. I had ..."

I second that emotion. Some of the stuff you happen upon while reading is just shock-factor fodder, but it stays with you; there are some things you just can't un-see - or un-imagine. A forewarning would be much appreciated in those cases.

xx

message 48: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 31 comments I think we really should have a "trigger warning" thread, and maybe even include things that some authors do. I just came across this and just...wtf. (I didn't know where else to post it but I thought I should mention it since some ONTDers have the series on their to-read lists.)

The narrator for the Fever series is a guy named Phil Gigante, and he was charged with (and pleaded guilty to) accosting a child for immoral purposes, possession of child sexually abusive material. If the author has no say in the narrator for her audiobooks, fine...but then she was actively supporting him on FB, downplaying his crimes, and also saying that "there's more to the story" (of him soliciting a 14 y/o for nude pics). You can read it here or at to her FB (you'll have change the comment viewing options to "Top Comments (Unfiltered)").

I guess it's not too surprising considering her 6th book in the Fever series had two older men in a love triangle with a 15 y/o child.

message 49: by Wigs (new)

omg what in the fucking hell I had to read that twice.

wow.

message 50: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 31 comments Yup, seriously what the fuck. And apparently we all just need to chill because "there's more to the story."

And there was a comment on there from a fan that said:

4 months in prison for a crime that has 10-25 years as the usual sentence should tell you right then and there that there is far more to the story than is public knowledge.

Do y'all really think Karen would let a pedo narrate her books? Pull your heads out, people.

Because we all know that the justice system is super fair and always gives 10-25 years to perpetrators of sex crimes.

Oh, and my bad. The heroine for the 6th book wasn't 15, she was 14.

And as for if she'd have a pedo narrate her books...well, look at an excerpt from her response to the criticism for the 14 y/o being perved on by two older men in her Iced book:

I was 13 when I first noticed a man looking at me like he wanted to have sex with me. How old were you? Although I didn’t act on it for a long time after that, I remember to this day being thrilled by it. Exhilarated. I was becoming a woman.

The rest is here if you want to read. Go down to "Q. Do you write about pedophiles?" to read the full response.

« previous 1