Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)
This topic is about The Sword of Summer
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) → Start Date: December 7th, 2015

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allison Steadman Please feel free to join Clementine and I in reading The Sword of Summer.

Clementine | 901 comments Thanks for making the thread, Allison :)

Allison Steadman No problem!

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) Can I join you guys?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I want to join but I just ordered the book and I am 16th in the queue, so unless a miracle occurs I guess I can't join at this time. So disappointed. :o(

Allison Steadman @Brooke Yeah of course you can join!!

@Vicki I'm sorry you'll miss out, but I hope you like the book. You could always come back to this thread and I would love to hear what you thought of it.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks, Allison. :)

Allison Steadman I was wondering if you guys wanted to follow a schedule with this book or not.

Clementine | 901 comments Usually, I read as much as I want for as long as I want for my buddy reads. Otherwise, I feel like it's a chore. :P

Allison Steadman That's cool I just wanted to make sure since some people do enjoy scheduling.

Clementine | 901 comments No problem, Allison. :)

Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Clementine | 901 comments Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

Allison Steadman I will start reading the book tomorrow. So sorry for not having any insights on the book at the moment schools just got me so crammed right now. I promise to start reading it first thing tomorrow.

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I might be a few more days I over scheduled myself :\

Allison Steadman Brooke wrote: "I might be a few more days I over scheduled myself :\"
That's okay, Brooke. I'm probably going to be slow with reading this book.

I would also like to say that I am in love with the chapter titles. They are just so perfect and make me feel as if I am reading Percy Jackson over again. Magnus's personality from what I've read so far is a lot like Percy's. I can't wait to read more. I am currently at school and going to some sort of field trip so I won't be able to read when I get home but I promised myself that I would at least read a few chapters today.

Clementine | 901 comments @Brooke: Don't worry! Even if I finish it before you, I'll still hang out around the thread to discuss it with you. ^_^ Anyway, I won't have much time to read it until Friday, so I shouldn't be too far off. :)

@Allison: So I'm not the only one who saw Magnus as Percy?? I was hoping Riordan would finally write something else than Percy-like... And not set in the US, I mean why does he always consider the US the centrr of the world?? Bla bla bla centre of power, but that isn't even true anymore. Anyway.

Allison Steadman @Clementine: Yeah I do wish he would write a book in a different country, but I love Percy Jackson too much to hate that their personalities are similar.

Allison Steadman Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Pauline Anne (polankasag) | 8 comments Just finished. Enjoyed it like I always do. Need to brush up on my Norse mythology.did study it at school but that was a long ,long time ago !!! Much easier with Percy Jackson as they are familiar characters and stories.Could do with a companion book like RR did for Percy Jackson (Greek Gods and Heroes)

Clementine | 901 comments Glad you enjoyed it Pauline! :)

Chapter 27: (view spoiler)

Allison Steadman I don't really know what to think of it right now. Though I do wonder how the Greek and Norse Gods can coexist with each other. I'm at that point where everything is confusing and I'm kind of hoping that it will get interesting soon. I really had high hopes for this series and am still hoping that it'll get better.

Clementine | 901 comments Allison wrote: "I don't really know what to think of it right now. Though I do wonder how the Greek and Norse Gods can coexist with each other. I'm at that point where everything is confusing and I'm kind of hopin..."

^^ Same. I expected more from this book. :/

Allison Steadman I feel like this is almost like a repeat of the Percy Jackson series and I hope that some of the confusion that I'm facing will be cleared up by the end of the book. I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series and I think I'll still enjoy reading this series, but I really wanted to read something different.

Clementine | 901 comments Exactly! I keep telling myself that if I wanted to read Percy again, I'd just read it again, you know? Magnus feels pointless right now.

Allison Steadman To be honest though. I'm still hopefully though, but I feel like I'm going to be disappointed. Even though I may not like it I'm still going to read the next books in the series because I must. This is just one series that I feel I must read.

message 26: by Clementine (last edited Dec 15, 2015 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Clementine | 901 comments I'm about to DNF this, in fact... It's just too boring. Plus, it feels too Middle Grade for me even though Magnus is 16. How far are you in the book, Allison?

Allison Steadman I'm at chapter 29. I know I'm a little slow, but it is also because of school and all the pointless work they make me do. I refuse to give up on it so I'm going to finish it and maybe by the end it will have been worth my time.

Clementine | 901 comments I'm slow too, but only because I'm bored. I'm at chapter 30.

Allison Steadman I know! I read Graceling in a day and a half which was only because classes delayed me. This book is taking much longer for me to finish.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I am down to 8th in the queue. ugh...I'll probably have to read it another time and hope for buddy readers.

Clementine | 901 comments Vicki wrote: "I am down to 8th in the queue. ugh...I'll probably have to read it another time and hope for buddy readers."

At the pace I'm reading it, Vicki, you could get it in a year and I would still be here ready to discuss it. LOL

Clementine | 901 comments Allison wrote: "I know! I read Graceling in a day and a half which was only because classes delayed me. This book is taking much longer for me to finish."

LOL me too. I can usually read 500 pages in my sleep! :P

Allison Steadman @Vicki same with me. I'm probably going to be very, very slow.

I also totally did not start reading another book that I've been meaning to reread. *uneasy laughter*

Clementine | 901 comments ^^ I'm also guilty of that, Allison. LOL

Allison Steadman I think I'm going to take a little break from Magnus Chase to finish my other buddy reads, but I will for sure read some chapters here and there to be able to continue discussing.

Allison Steadman I did end up finishing this book and I did like it. I also read the Lightning Thief and thought that there were many similarities, but ultimately they were different. It was not the best book, but it still was a good book in the end.