Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - December 2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (last edited Dec 16, 2015 11:59PM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Apart from The David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants what do you plan to read this month?

For me, I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov and not sure what else.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I am currently reading Numero zero by Umberto Eco. A bit of a disappointment. Subject matter was interesting -- manipulation of public opinion through news stories. I have always found this author to be fascinating. Book length is short. Problem is book reads more like a commentary than a story. I want to figure out story's message not be spoon fed it.

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I am currently reading Numero zero by Umberto Eco. A bit of a disappointment. Subject matter was interesting -- manipulation of public opinion through news stories. I ..."

Read that book a few weeks ago, I really enjoyed it. But I understand what you mean, there is a lot of information dumps happening in this book.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Great, Michael, I too have The Brothers Karamazov on my TBR, but I feel a bit intimidated by it.

I'm currently reading The Taming of the Shrew. After that I want to finish reading To My Children's Children, and I'd like to read A Christmas Carol (sounds crazy, but I'd never read it before), The Girl with All the Gifts and Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death.

message 5: by Kanishk (new)

Kanishk Singh | 22 comments The Kills by Richard House
The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence
Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence
The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk
The Kills (The Kills, #1-4) by Richard House The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence Women In Love by D.H. Lawrence The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

message 6: by Franky (last edited Dec 15, 2015 08:26PM) (new)

Franky Been a slow month, but I plan on catching up these last two weeks of the month (and year). Just finished a reread of one of my favorites, Fahrenheit 451. I also finished The International Bank of Bob: Connecting Our Worlds One $25 Kiva Loan at a Time. Currently, I'm reading the group read for this month and also plan on reading Welty's One Writer's Beginnings. After that, I want to try to get to a mystery and maybe a classic. Not sure which ones.

message 7: by Kathy (last edited Dec 16, 2015 04:42AM) (new)

Kathy Currently reading First Light by Peter Ackroyd. He is tackling metaphysical questions of time and space in a humorous way which is coming across as a bit sad and creepy. I loved Hawksmoor which did the same but in a dark way. Both books are worth reading just for the questions they raise about consciousness, life and the meaning of everything. Peter Ackroyd would be a cool person to spend an evening drinking with.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) Our Mutual Friend - Dickens - I try to read a Dickens novel every Winter
Against the Day - Pynchon - Reading this with a Goodreads Group
Gravity's Rainbow - Pynchon - I've ignored Pynchon for years. When invited Against the Day I investigated Pynchon and became interested in the challenge of Gravity's Rainbow. I've never read two books by the same author simultaneously but this is a interesting exercise since these two books are 40 years apart in publication.
Rabbit, Run - Updike - Never read Updike before either.

message 9: by Franky (new)

Franky Dave, I always love to read Dickens in December. Seems right to me. I read Our Mutual Friend last year.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Reading the Tudor series by Philippa Gregory. On the final book the Kings curse

message 11: by Kathy (last edited Dec 22, 2015 06:07PM) (new)

Kathy Ending the year with Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom. Very interesting story about the old pagan gods and the celebration of Yuletide. Plus a war between Krampus and Santa!