Literary Exploration discussion

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
This topic is about David and Goliath
The Book-Club Books > Dec 2015 - David and Goliath

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Groups decisions

Franky Finally found a copy of this at the library. Really liking it so far. I like how the author ties in the legend of David and Goliath with so many areas.

Kristin I don't really read nonfiction and now I understand why. I will give the author credit for the fact that he incorporated different situations with the bible story David and Goliath, but so far none that I can relate to. Hopefully the more I read, I may find something that will catch my interest.

Franky Kristin wrote: "I don't really read nonfiction and now I understand why. I will give the author credit for the fact that he incorporated different situations with the bible story David and Goliath, but so far none..."

Kristin, I know what you mean about nonfiction, don't read it that much, yet I've read 3 books in the past month. Not really my thing though

I just finished this one and thought it was okay. It seems a bit underresearched and a tad repetitive. The author doesn't seem to view much of the counterargument to his ideas, and some of his ideas were quite reaching. I don't think the title really embodies what the author describes in several of his anecdotes, as many don't really apply to the "underdog." I probably liked the first chapter about the girl's basketball team and their coach who found them success the best.

Kristin Franky wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I don't really read nonfiction and now I understand why. I will give the author credit for the fact that he incorporated different situations with the bible story David and Goliath,..."

I absolutely agree! I just finished it today and it was all I could do to not give up on it! There were many times where I felt like the author had ADD. He would jump from the main concept to some side story that didn't have anything to do with the main concept. I'm just proud of myself for getting through it because usually I would've have already given up on a book like this.