Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > 2016 Group Read Calendar

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Dec 06, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
2016 Calendar

January
Winner - Debut Goodreads Author: Red Queen (Red Queen #1)

Winner - Non Fiction: Modern Romance

Series Read - Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)

Series Read - Saga, Volume 1

February
Winner - YA Fiction: All the Bright Places

Winner - Memoir & Autobiography: A Work in Progress

Series Read - Saga, Volume 2

Additional Nominee Read, Science Fiction - The Heart Goes Last

Additional Nominee Read, Poetry- Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs

March
Winner - Historical Fiction: The Nightingale

Winner - Science & Technology: Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish

Series Read - Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

Additional Nominee Read, YA Fantasy - An Ember in the Ashes

Additional Nominee Read, Food & Cookbooks - The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook: Sweet Treats for the Geek in All of Us

April
Winner - Middle Grade: The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1)

Series Read - To Kill a Mockingbird

Series Read - Saga, Volume 3

Additional Nominee Read - Mystery: Luckiest Girl Alive

Winner - Graphic Novels & Comics (15th of Month): Saga, Volume 4

May
Winner - Fiction: Go Set a Watchman

Winner - History & Biography: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania

Series Read - Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

Additional Nominee Read - Debut Goodreads Author: The Library at Mount Char

June
Winner - Humour: Why Not Me?

Series Read - Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)

Additional Nominee Read - Historical Fiction: A God in Ruins

Additional Nominee Read - Fantasy: A Darker Shade of Magic

July
Winner - Romance: Confess

Series Read: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)

Additional Nominee Read - Middle Grade & Children
Serafina and the Black Cloak

Additional Nominee Read - Non Fiction
Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town

August
Winner - Fantasy: Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

Series Read - Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
Note: The Odd Thomas series also has filler / side story books between books #4 and #5. As a group we will only be reading the primary works. If you wish to read them all, you will need to fit them in your own time.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4367...

Additional Nominee Read - Fiction
After You (Me Before You, #2)

Additional Nominee Read - Memoir & Autobiography
The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector’s Story

September
Winner - Science Fiction: Golden Son (Red Rising #2)
Note: As the group has already read book #1, we will not be reading it again this year.
Book #1 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Series Read - Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)

Additional Nominee Read - Humour
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Additional Nominee Read - Picture Books
Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh

October
Winner - Mystery & Thriller: The Girl on the Train

Winner - Food & Cookbooks: The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime: Comfort Classics, Freezer Food, 16-Minute Meals, and Other Delicious Ways to Solve Supper!

Series Read - Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)

Additional Nominee Read - Horror: The Ice Twins

Additional Nominee Read - History & Biography: The Witches: Salem, 1692

November
Winner - YA Fantasy: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)

Winner - Picture Books: The Day the Crayons Came Home (Crayons #2)
Note: As the group has already read book #1, we will not be reading it again this year.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Series Read - Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)

Additional Nominee Read - Romance
The Secret of Pembrooke Park

Additional Nominee Read (15th of Month) - Graphic Novels & Comics
Nimona

December
Winner - Horror: Saint Odd (Odd Thomas #7)

Winner - Poetry: The Dogs I Have Kissed

Additional Nominee Read - YA Fiction
Everything, Everything

Additional Nominee Read - Science & Technology
Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Whoop! Sorted within 24hrs :)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments BRAVO!

message 4: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments wow .. you're fast! Thank you! Looking good :)

message 5: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Great to have the calendar so quickly :), I'm starting preparing my reading plan :D

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments ok will be printing out this so I can keep track!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Thanks! My super nerdy spreadsheet has been updated!

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments I am going to try to read as many as I can even if they are not on my list.... I picked the books I really wanted to read. Maybe I will add a few more as we go along.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I have made myself a reading schedule for 2016... I swear the fun is in the planning and not the execution. Just because I've never stuck to one before, doesn't mean it isn't possible... right?

message 10: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Ally, definitely :), I usually plan some readings, and then adjust them to my mood, but I have managed to stick to the monthly plan a few times so far, so it is possible :)

message 11: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I have made myself a reading schedule for 2016... I swear the fun is in the planning and not the execution. Just because I've never stuck to one before, doesn't mean it isn't possible... right?"

Love the planning! Hence why I love doing it for this group :)

However for my own planning, I only do it a month at a time. The only thing I will do for the year is look at which series reads I want to start / finish.
Then about a week to 10 days prior to the month starting, I'll look at all the different group challenges I'm in and work out what I'm then going to read for the month.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments That is what I love about this group, that I CAN plan for it. Mind you, I tend to read ahead, since I use the library so much.

In month to month groups I rarely get the books in time to join in the discussion. So, I give myself flexibility of mood for those titles.

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
I take on too many challenges to make plans for anything other than them though :)

message 14: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Me too :) .. I use the group read calendar as the basic outline for my reading plan and add additional books as the year comes along. (I think I'm already set with my reading until the end of March .. might have some time to squeeze a book in in February. My husband thinks I'm insane.)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
lol, Janina. We understand you. :)

I start a reading plan with our group schedule, then add other BotM and challenge books as they come up. I don't generally have time to read according to my mood. I keep saying that I'm going to join less challenges and read less BotMs, but then I do it anyway. I just love them.

message 16: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I think I'm going to try this "Odd Thomas" series. I requested the first book from the library. I've never read a Dean Koontz book before.

My "schedule" includes new releases. I have A LOT of final books in a series coming out this year. I'm pumped to read the conclusion, and also get that series release monkey off my back!

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Ally - What are some of the final series books that you're looking forward to coming out this year? I often don't know when it's just another in the series and when it's a final book.

message 18: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I keep saying that I'm going to join less challenges and read less BotMs, but then I do it anyway. I just love them. "

I never say that lol
I just love challenges too much :)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I keep saying that I'm going to join less challenges and read less BotMs, but then I do it anyway. I just love them. "

I never say that lol
I just love challenges too much :)"

I recently have been thinking that I put too much pressure on myself to read certain books for challenges and when I see something I want to read, I have to wait for it to fit in somewhere. I also love my challenges though, so usually I just add another challenge so that the book fits. lol Then, I end up with so many challenges that I can't possibly complete them all. I've gotten a bit better at choosing books that fit multiple challenges though. :) Maybe I just need to get better about which challenges to do.

message 20: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I think I'm going to try this "Odd Thomas" series. I requested the first book from the library. I've never read a Dean Koontz book before.

My "schedule" includes new releases. I have A LOT of fina..."

I am going to try this one too. I like the schedule of "catching up" before the group read of the one that one.

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick (fire69) | 150 comments ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I think I'm going to try this "Odd Thomas" series. I requested the first book from the library. I've never read a Dean Koontz book before.

My "schedule" includes new releases. I have A LOT of fina..."

Ally, I've read about half of this series, being that Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors. For me, Dean Koontz is similar to Stephen King most of the time, but Koontz just seems to get to the horror faster than King.

This series though is more paranormal humor than horror. There are some scary-isa parts throughout, but I liked the humor of Odd Thomas. Hope you enjoy them!

message 22: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Kristie wrote: "Ally - What are some[bo[book:The Blood Mirror|17570538]ok:The Last Star|16131489] of the final series books that you're looking forward to coming out this year? I often don't know when it's just another in the series and when it's a final book."

I really don't ever know when its a final book either to be honest. I wish authors/publishers were more transparent with that.

The books I have on my radar as last in a series coming out this year are; The Last Starby Rick Yancey, End of Watch by Stephen King, The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley, The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks, Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. I think that's it :)

message 23: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Nick wrote: "ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I think I'm going to try this "Odd Thomas" series. I requested the first book from the library. I've never read a Dean Koontz book before.

My "schedule" includes new releases...."

Thanks Nick! I loooooooove SK, so hopefully I'll like Dean Koontz as well. The paranormal part scares me a bit, usually not a genre I like, but we shall see!

message 24: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Vicki wrote: "ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I think I'm going to try this "Odd Thomas" series. I requested the first book from the library. I've never read a Dean Koontz book before.

My "schedule" includes new releases...."

Awesome! Look forward to reading with ya!

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm going to try the Odd Thomas series, as well. It's been recommended to me a few times. I put in a request at the library for the first one.

Nick - Koontz's writing style sometimes reminds me of SK too. I typically like what I read by him.

Ally - I'm looking forward to End of Watch too. I'll probably pre-order it on Audible. :) I have a feeling that one is going to have quite a bit of paranormal stuff in it. King loves paranormal.

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick (fire69) | 150 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm going to try the Odd Thomas series, as well. It's been recommended to me a few times. I put in a request at the library for the first one.

Nick - Koontz's writing style sometimes reminds me o..."

I hope you guys like this one, I remember there were parts where i laughed out loud more than a few times. Odd is certainly not the typical character and I think thats why i liked the series so much.

message 27: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) I also plan on reading the Odd Thomas Series in 2016. I have heard many good things about it.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm glad we have so many members interested in reading the Odd Thomas series. Hopefully, there'll be some good discussion. :)

message 29: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) im.so excited to get started!! lol

message 30: by April (new)

April Craig I am also going to read Odd Thomas! I haven't read any Dean Koontz so I'm looking forward to it.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Me, too! I read book #1 and enjoyed it. Been looking for an excuse to move on in the series.

message 32: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I love when I start a new series. Hope I love it and have all the others to read. :)

message 33: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Loving the participation interest in the Odd Thomas series. Seems SO MUCH MORE PROMISING than some previous series winners.

message 34: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) I was going to try and follow along with your monthly schedule but select out from the nominees the book that most interest me as it is not always the winner ;) Is there a section for discussing the books in general rather than just the winner ?

message 35: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Hi Trudie, yes there are various places to discuss books that we not the winners.

Firstly there is the general link: what are you reading thread

We will also be voting as a group which nominee we want to read as an additional read. The schedule for the categories is included above or can be found here
Each winning book will have it's own discussion post.

Then we also have this folder, which we discuss all the other nominees that didn't become a group read. Each category will be opened when the group read for that category is happening.

message 36: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) Lynn wrote: "Hi Trudie, yes there are various places to discuss books that we not the winners.

Firstly there is the general link: what are you reading thread

We will also be voting as a group which nominee w..."

Ah ok, great thanks, just now deciding on what book from the Debut Author section to tackle.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.