The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2015 December Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 801 comments Mod
Can you believe it's December already? I can't! December's reading challenge is to read a kids book. It can be a chapter book, a picture book, an information book that's marketed for kids. If you want, you can even read a book to a child, if you know one. Remember, books are for everyone.

"Those of us who are blamed when old for reading childish books were blamed when children for reading books too old for us. No reader worth his salt trots along in obedience to a time-table." --C. S. Lewis

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments By kids, do you have an age group in mind? Young children's book (under 12 years), or do YA books count too? Sorry, maybe I'm splitting hairs, just want to choose correctly. :)

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I will probably read all of the options. I read a Christmas picture book to my children every day in December, I read a lot to children's books myself and I just heard about a couple of nonfiction titles I want to read. Children's books are my favorites so this is right up my alley.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Becky, teen books count too!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments Just as I'm getting close to finishing the final book of the Prydain Chronicles! Perfection! BTW, I love the quote. I was around in the time when children were not allowed to read adult books. I stopped reading because I'd read all I was interested in in the children's collection and the librarian would not let me go to the adult section (which was on another floor) unless one of my parents came into the library and gave specific approval. Which was really stupid because the libraran lived 3 doors down and across the road from us. I was saved by the school's Scholastic Books program.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Jenny, yay for reading to kids!

Debbie, I'm glad you had the school's Scholastic Books program.

I love the quote too. :D

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Jenny wrote: "I will probably read all of the options. I read a Christmas picture book to my children every day in December, I read a lot to children's books myself and I just heard about a couple of nonfiction ..."

Jenny, I thought of you when I read what the challenge was...How easy this one will be for you, you lucky duck. Of course, anyone can fit a picture book into their life, so the entries this month should be staggering.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments HA! This challenge is SUPER easy, so I am making it harder on myself by adding the fact that I have to read a Christmas book to my grandson. For most of you who cannot understand why that makes it a "challenge", I dare you to try to get my Landon to sit for more than 30 seconds, while you read "T'was the Night Before Christmas" to him. :) Triple dog dare ya!

message 9: by Tiffinie (new)

Tiffinie Adams | 18 comments This will be an easy one. Every year we find 25 used Christmas themed children's books, wrap them and put under the tree December 1st. My kids get to take turns choosing and unwrapping one book each night that we read together before bed. In January I let the kids pick one book each to keep then donate the rest. Better than candy calenders.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Jackie wrote: "HA! This challenge is SUPER easy, so I am making it harder on myself by adding the fact that I have to read a Christmas book to my grandson. For most of you who cannot understand why that makes it ..."

Haha! Jackie, send him on down and I will get him to sit for long enough to read a book (Although I won't promise it will be a long book. :)) Yeah, this challenge is right up my alley...we read our first Christmas book yesterday (my children and I), plus of course, I read to my students daily, plus I am in the middle of a children's book right now and just ordered two more. We had an assembly at school yesterday where a children's book reviewer came and shared her favorite reads from the past year...and I had only read 1 of them and only heard of about 6. So I just added a bunch of books to my "to read" list.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Tiffinie wrote: "This will be an easy one. Every year we find 25 used Christmas themed children's books, wrap them and put under the tree December 1st. My kids get to take turns choosing and unwrapping one book eac..."

I do the same thing, Tiffinie. We own about 25 or so Christmas books, but I also check out a few new ones each year from the library. (Then I label the books with library so I know we need to open them early in the month. I also label the books as short or long so on especially busy days, I can tell my kids to grab one labeled short.) We love this tradition!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Debbie wrote: "Just as I'm getting close to finishing the final book of the Prydain Chronicles! Perfection! BTW, I love the quote. I was around in the time when children were not allowed to read adult books. I st..."

I love the Prydain Chronicles. That's one I should read to my kids one of these days.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Since YA counts, I am going to read two books my fourteen year old daughter recommends: We Are All Made of Molecules and Goodbye Stranger.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 174 comments Becky wrote: "By kids, do you have an age group in mind? Young children's book (under 12 years), or do YA books count too? Sorry, maybe I'm splitting hairs, just want to choose correctly. :)"

There is no such thing as an incorrect choice (in this matter!).

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Greg wrote: "Becky wrote: "By kids, do you have an age group in mind? Young children's book (under 12 years), or do YA books count too? Sorry, maybe I'm splitting hairs, just want to choose correctly. :)"

Thanks, Greg! :)

Ther..."

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments I have finished The High King by Lloyd Alexander, the last book in the Prydain Chronicles. What and grand adventure the series was!

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 111 comments I re-read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" every year. Finished my 2015 read while out and about waiting for something.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments While waiting at the Dr's. there was a copy of "Get Ready for Second Grade Amber Brown" so I picked it up and read it. I'm sue it won't be the only Children's book I read this month.

message 19: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments I just read "The Nutcracker Comes to America: How Three Ballet-Loving Brothers Created a Holiday Tradition." The three brothers were from Brigham City, and the whole story was interesting (even if you're not into ballet)!

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments Alyson wrote: "I just read "The Nutcracker Comes to America: How Three Ballet-Loving Brothers Created a Holiday Tradition." The three brothers were from Brigham City, and the whole story was interesting (even if ..."

Just out of curiosity, Alyson, who were the 3 brothers?

message 21: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments Debbie wrote: "Alyson wrote: "I just read "The Nutcracker Comes to America: How Three Ballet-Loving Brothers Created a Holiday Tradition." The three brothers were from Brigham City, and the whole story was intere..."

Christensens from Brigham City--William (changed to Willam), Harold, and Lew (short for Lewellyn).

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 13 comments What a nice Challenge. I have been reading a lot of picture books and Junior Fiction books to remind me what to buy to grandchildren for Christmas. The Penderwicks by Jeannie Birdsall is an older book, but new to me. I enjoyed it a lot and bought it for a 8 year old and 10 year old girls. I have read The Dog called Homeless by Sarah LeAnn and The Crooked kind of Perfect by Linda Urban for same age group.They too are on my favorite list. The Christmas Wish and the Reindeer Wish by Lory Evert are new picture books with wonderful pictures

message 23: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 109 comments I've begun reading picture books to my newborn,noting on Goodreads the ones I liked best and where I found the book. Thomas is six weeks old, so he really doesn't have àn opinion.

Richard Scarry's Bedtime Storiesis one I enjoyed when I was small, so I was pleased to find a ebook copy through Salt Lake City Library. It was still fun.

message 24: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments So far I've read Frosty the Snowman, Little Red Riding Hood, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and Here Comes Santa Claus to my granddaughter.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

I love that so many people are reading multiple books for this challenge. And that wrapping Christmas books up idea is FANTASTIC. I shared it with a local book club and a couple of them are going to do it for their grandkids for the last few days before Christmas, so thanks for the idea.

message 26: by Debbie (last edited Dec 14, 2015 01:32PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments I just finished listening to the audiobook of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I don't know if it counts, but I already finished one that did. But I think of this as a book for all ages. I enjoyed listening to it so much I may just buy my own copy.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie, who was the narrator? I'm a sucker for the Patrick Stewart version.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I read Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead, a YA book that my daughter recommended. It was really good with some wonderful characters. Recommended for middle schoolers and adults, as well.

message 29: by Debbie (last edited Dec 16, 2015 09:41AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Debbie, who was the narrator? I'm a sucker for the Patrick Stewart version."

It was read by Simon Prebble, who is very good. Actually, the one read by Patrick Stewart is an abridged version, so I won't be getting that. Consider getting the one from the Library's Overdrive collection for an unabridged version.

In fact on the Blackstone Audio web page, except for the one done by Jonathan Winters, the versions done by actors are all abridged versions.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments I read a Christmas Carol.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I also read We Are All Made of Molecules, recommended by my 14 year old daughter. A good read, funny, but also addresses some serious issues. Gave us a few things to talk about.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

I know it's a busy time of year, so I wanted to remind everyone there's only one more week to finish this challenge!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments I also read Fablehaven #4 Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 393 comments We had our annual Christmas Eve storytime brunch yesterday, so I read several Christmas picture books aloud. Who Will Guide my Sleigh Tonight has possibly been the most popular one this year. I have read that SO. MANY. TIMES. lol

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Here are a few of the books I read for this challenge:

Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans during World War II (nonfiction, VERY good)

Adam of the Road. (Newbery winner)
Half a World Away (very good although the ending is not very realistic)
The Turtle of Oman. (Loved the relationship between the boy and his grandfather)

Picture books: God Bless Your Way: A Christmas Journey
Sam's Christmas Wish
Little Bear's Christmas
How Santa Got His Job
and many, many others

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I read a Winnie the Pooh Christmas story. Love how gentle and kind Pooh Bear is. :)

message 37: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I read the Mysterious Benedict Society and Frozen- a Junior novelization. Plus many children's books to a few children including Skippy Jon Jones (I love those books!)

message 38: by Tiffinie (new)

Tiffinie Adams | 18 comments My kids favorite this year was Katie the candy cane fairy. We read it many times over ;)

message 39: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments i re-read From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankwhiler (sp?). it was just as I remembered it. What a fun way to run away!

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Do we have a winner for December?

message 41: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 05, 2016 09:57AM) (new)

Tammy is our prize drawing winner for December’s reading challenge. She read The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall.

Tammy, since your profile is set to private, I sent you a friend request with an attached message so that you can find out how to claim your prize. Please message me with the library you go to most often, so I can let them know you'll be needing a book prize. Thank you, Elizabeth

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Congrats, Tammy!

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 924 comments Hooray for Tammy!