A Good Thriller discussion

Group Read Archive > Readalong and Q&A with Robin Burcell - The Last Good Place - from Decenber 1st

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
Our December readalong is now underway. Be great to see members join in.

message 2: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9502 comments Mod
Members,

I personally asked Robin to join us for a read a long with her great book and I hope many people will join in.

Many have this book through Net Galley.

Thanks Robin for your time, and I hope you are feeling better.

Do enjoy the book members.

message 3: by Christine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Hi Robin, thanks for coming to A Good Thriller. And thanks for taking on the project of continuing Ms. Weston's work. I started The Last Good Place hoping to get just a bit of a head start, but ended up finishing it yesterday. Just couldn't control myself, lol. Will have to avoid spoilers for those who plan to read it later this month, but I just wanted to ask--are you going to continue this as a series? I would be excited to see more Al and Casey. I really love these guys.

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2060 comments Robin, what a fascinating pre-writing career you had! Now you get to dazzle us with some police detective fiction! I finished the book a couple days ago, and as Chris said, I don't want to make comments or ask questions ahead of others who may be just starting. Just one quick question: Are the hours, especially for homicide detectives, really as long and horrible as this book (as well as most others) make them seems?

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Christine wrote: "Hi Robin, thanks for coming to A Good Thriller. And thanks for taking on the project of continuing Ms. Weston's work. I started The Last Good Place hoping to get just a bit of a head start, but end..."

Hi Christine, (hope I'm doing this right. It's my first post, so forgive if something odd happens!)

So glad you enjoyed it. At the moment I'm finishing up my Clive Cussler co-writing project. After that, I will be looking at Al and Casey again. It would be fun to continue with these two--especially now that I seem to have a handle on their characters!

message 6: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Good News

1. That Christine and Jean enjoyed the book, as I have recommended the book so much.

2. Robin, Good News we will see the characters again.

I will like you ladies be enjoying comments on those reading the book.

While we are ahead of the game...LOL

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Jean wrote: "Robin, what a fascinating pre-writing career you had! Now you get to dazzle us with some police detective fiction! I finished the book a couple days ago, and as Chris said, I don't want to make com..."

Hi Jean,
I hate to say it, but it's more of a "it depends" answer. It depends on what's happened and when that initial call comes in. If it's a hot case (just happened), then yes, the hours can be long. Of course, that's true in other areas of law enforcement, not just homicide. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron's hot. I've received call outs in the middle of the night and worked through to the next night. I've also had the same where something happened during the day and you keep working until the next.

message 8: by Christine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:45PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Robin, where were you located when you were active in law enforcement--were you in California?

Also wondering if the offer to pick up the Al/Casey series from Ms. Weston was a no-brainer yes or if you had to give it a lot of consideration.

Have the movie studios approached yet? (-:

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Christine wrote: "Robin, where were you located when you were active in law enforcement--were you in California?

Also wondering if the offer to pick up the Al/Casey series from Ms. Weston was a no-brainer yes or if..."

The first 18 years I worked in Lodi (about 60 miles east of San Francisco as the crow flies, and about 2.25 hours as the car drives). The next 9 years were in Sacramento for the county as a criminal investigator.

And yes, it was a no-brainer when I was asked to continue the series. (Although I did think about it, but not for long!) I've heard that Paramount is considering bringing it back to TV. We were in negotiations with Paramount to be able to use the TV names, but couldn't get permission to do so before the book came out.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Sean wrote: "Members,

I personally asked Robin to join us for a read a long with her great book and I hope many people will join in.

Many have this book through Net Galley.

Thanks Robin for your time, and I ..."

Sean,
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to a month of fun! (And yes, feeling much better. Thanks!)

message 11: by Christine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:06PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Thanks for the great responses, Robin. So pleased you are going to be churning out more Al and Casey books! BTW, I like the original names more than the TV names. Will definitely check out the new TV version if it comes through.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Christine wrote: "Thanks for the great responses, Robin. So pleased you are going to be churning out more Al and Casey books! BTW, I like the original names more than the TV names. Will definitely check out the new ..."

You're welcome, Christine! And glad to hear it! :-)

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan | 258 comments Hi Robin, I'm a bit late to the party but will catch up in no time. I just started reading your book today, so I'm going to hold off on reading any of the comments already posted in here, unless someone can give me the all clear that there aren't any spoilers listed. Looking forward to this discussion!! :)

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Jan wrote: "Hi Robin, I'm a bit late to the party but will catch up in no time. I just started reading your book today, so I'm going to hold off on reading any of the comments already posted in here, unless so..."

Hi Jan! No worries! So far, no spoilers. More a bit of my law enforcement background and inquiry on continuing the series type thing. I hope you enjoy the book in the meantime, and I'm looking forward to answering questions on the books as they come up!

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan | 258 comments Robin wrote: "Jan wrote: "Hi Robin, I'm a bit late to the party but will catch up in no time. I just started reading your book today, so I'm going to hold off on reading any of the comments already posted in her..."

Thanks Robin, I'll catch up on the older posts then. Just have to tell you that I am really enjoying the repertoire between Al and Casey, as well as the rest of the team. I have been reading a lot of books with female protags lately, and finding the testosterone quite refreshing! ;)

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2060 comments Yeah - "College Boy!" I liked the teasing.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments :-)

message 18: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Robin, as a detective are there many cases that stand out for you, more than others.

Do you miss the work, or are you still involved in helping.

What genre of book to you like to read, and who are your favourite authors.

Do you listen to music, while writing.

I also loved the two main characters and their relationship.

But not saying to much about the book till others have read it.

I know quite a few are reading !

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Sean wrote: "Robin, as a detective are there many cases that stand out for you, more than others.

Do you miss the work, or are you still involved in helping.

What genre of book to you like to read, and who ar..."

So sorry for the delay! I was in Arizona and without internet access (except on my phone--too hard to do a longer answer like this!)

While I do miss police work, I'm VERY glad I'm retired from it. It's a very different world out there--and these recent high-profile shootings make it difficult for all the good cops. (And one hopes will start to make positive changes in various agencies where these have happened.)

I like to read all across the board. A good book is a good book! Mysteries and thriller, science fiction, fantasy, biographies, even some romance. Thrillers are probably my standout fave, but I don't tend to read them when I'm writing them, so I branch out to something else.

I love to listen to music while I write. It depends on what I'm writing as to what I listen to. I stay away from anything with vocals, as that is too distracting. I like soundtracks, but not just any soundtracks. Pretty much if Danny Elfman wrote the music, I own the soundtrack. (Wolfman, Mission Impossible, The Next Three Days, 9.) I look for something that is smooth, not too brash, and that will fade easily into the background.

And, last but not least, so glad you enjoyed the two main characters! Hoping others will, too!

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2060 comments So, Robin, College Boy and Al - are they based on any real cops that you know? Did you find "old school" guys when you were a cop who had a hard time accepting the new technologies, or at least who preferred the traditional ways and relied on the younger guys (perhaps reluctantly) to get them through the new computers and stuff like that?

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Jean wrote: "So, Robin, College Boy and Al - are they based on any real cops that you know? Did you find "old school" guys when you were a cop who had a hard time accepting the new technologies..."

I drew from old school officers I worked with and a bit of my memory of the TV show. Mostly my own witnessing, however. There was definitely a shift in thinking when I came on. Caught between the era where one could beat the snot out of someone to effect control, and no-we-don't-police-that-way-anymore. Also the advent of COP (community oriented policing) where one is supposed to get to know the community/beat where one polices. The intro of "Verbal Judo" (using your words v. your fists/weapons, or rather to avoid the use of fists/weapons--and isn't that the way it should be?) etc., etc., etc.

Remember "Big Brother" sci-fi themed story where there's a camera on every corner, and one must tell on everyone (harkens back to Nazi era, pointing to hidden Jews, or Russia, pointing to those practicing religion)? In a way, with a cell phone camera in everyone's hands, cops are living/working in that era. Add the body cameras, dash cams to that, and it is a whole new world for cops. I haven't really addressed that in this book, but for us, the public, it really is an interesting time. I think the cops who are old school (starting before everyone was born with a cell phone in hand) may have a harder time adjusting to this, while younger cops coming up are a bit more in tune. (But apparently not totally, after viewing some of these high profile incidents--even those that don't involve a shooting.)

So, a long way of saying, interesting times, and yes, we did stumble over new technology -- and we probably will for a while. (thinking about cops who got in trouble, sending messages over car computer to other cops, not realizing that if it goes electronically, it leaves a forever digital print!)

message 22: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Robin, I spend many hours listening to music(no vocals, chill out music)

You will see a list in the music folders.

Many that you can listen to while writing or reading.

Will add some here soon

message 23: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Clannad
Bonobo
Chicane
Goldfrapp
Deep Forest
Sacred Spirit
Anima Sound System
Achillea
Angus and Julia Stone (Australian)
B-Tribe
Lemonjelly
Lemongrass (really relaxing)
De Phazz
Orianthi
Schiller
Secret Garden
Special EFX
Spyro Gyro
Vangelis
Zero 7
Deuter
Acoustic Alchemy
Enigma
Fourplay
Govi
Peter White
Paul Brown
Jesse Cook

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Sean,
Thanks for the list! I'll have to check out some of them.

message 25: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2060 comments Hey, Robin, are you still with us? I can't say I was surprised by the outcome of The Last Good Place, as you left some good clues. I don't want to give away any spoilers, since there may be some people still reading, but did you know from the onset who your killer was and how he was going to be exposed, or did that just evolve as you wrote? How about your main characters, the cops? Did you have a clear picture of them in your head when you started?

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Hi Jean,
Still here! (I figure most everyone else is probably busy, considering the holiday season!)

Here's the scoop on TLGP. (No spoilers, so don't worry!) In actuality, the plot was taken from a real case, one that intrigued me for many years. (It occurred in southern California, however.) I knew the moment I read about it in the newspapers that I'd have to use it in a book one day. It was just too good to pass up. Naturally I had to change some of the circumstances to fictionalize it. And while most of my books tend to lean toward the more complicated plots, this one is definitely leaner.

message 27: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sadly I think you are right Robin.

My apologies, rather let down.

I do know many have this book through Net Galley.

But a busy time for us all.

I loved the book !

message 28: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 304 comments Robin wrote: "Hi Jean,
Still here! (I figure most everyone else is probably busy, considering the holiday season!)

Here's the scoop on TLGP. (No spoilers, so don't worry!) In actuality, the plot was taken from..."

I was wondering if this was a fact based case. It was very enjoyable and easy to read. I thought of Columbo when I finished it.

message 29: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 304 comments Will you continue the Al/Casey series?

message 30: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2060 comments Robin, thanks for being available for questions and for your patience. Al and Casey do indeed make a good team.

message 31: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 304 comments I didn't realize you were available from the beginning of the month Robin. I'm still getting used to how things run. I've been waiting for 'the day' you were answering questions. You have added to my must read pile. I'm from a line of cops. The stories are usually interesting. I loved the way you transformed your experience into a book with these to characters. I do hope their will be sequels. Thank you for sharing your life and time with us.

message 32: by Sean, Moderator (new)

No problem Diane.

Our Readalong means with us for the month

Our Q & A's means with us for a full day just answering questions.

message 33: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes two great characters, so different, and I always saw Michael Douglas and Karl Malden in the two roles.

A great memory.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Diane Lynch wrote: "Will you continue the Al/Casey series?"

I certainly hope to, if everything works out!

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Diane Lynch wrote: "I didn't realize you were available from the beginning of the month Robin. I'm still getting used to how things run. I've been waiting for 'the day' you were answering questions. You have added to ..."

You're very welcome, Diane!

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Hoping everyone is having a very merry Christmas! And that your future holds lots of great books to read!!!

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Robin

message 38: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Thanks for your time Robin.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin Burcell | 18 comments Thanks for inviting me, Sean! Happy New Year to everyone!