Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Book market > Open for wisdom

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Finally done with my manuscript and now the partner and I working on phase one on marketing. What I have now
1. website: That's complete up and running.
Ran into a but of bump. When it comes to sample chapters I don't want to sound like play list on repeat. Specifically when it comes to spreading word about my work. Currently I want to have a different chapter sample and direct people who don't like amazon or kindle to purchase my book. I put myself in a persons shoes who wants to read repetitive sample on another website? So do you any of you think switching gears is a good idea?

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 55 comments Amazon has the biggest market share. Embrace Amazon. They will bring you fat cash.

message 3: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Martin wrote: "Amazon has the biggest market share. Embrace Amazon. They will bring you fat cash."

Martin wrote: "Amazon has the biggest market share. Embrace Amazon. They will bring you fat cash."

So I have heard thanks for the advice.

message 4: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Martin wrote: "Amazon has the biggest market share. Embrace Amazon. They will bring you fat cash."

Martin wrote: "Amazon has the biggest market share. Embrace Amazon. They will bring you fat cash."

So I have heard thanks for the advice.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Well, lo-fat cash is more typical. Sorta semi-skimmed.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments General wisdom: if you have a couple of k available, pay for cover design and for a spelling-and-grammar edit. Don't pay for reviews. Establish a presence on FB and Twitter, but don't spam them. Make a print version available through Createspace. If you choose Amazon-exclusive you get royalties from their subscription channel Kindle Unlimited. If you go wide, use Smashwords, but be prepared for their very grumpy book-formatting service. That gets you Kobo, Apple and a bunch of other outlets. Don't bother with Google Play, nobody buys books that way and they mess with your prices. If your market is European (and they don't buy much sci-fi) use Lulu as your print provider, as they ship from UK addresses. Make sure your blurb is good - apart from the cover, it's the biggest factor in selling your book. Good people on Goodreads have been known to provide help on blurb wording, there's a special group for it. Good luck!

message 7: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Richard wrote: "Well, lo-fat cash is more typical. Sorta semi-skimmed."

I paid for a good editor already and the editor is now my partner. Furthermore my partner/editor and I have a contract agreement. In one of the clauses person remains secret and the partner is not taking no authors anymore. What that means we hit it off well and the partner acknowledges my nature of not sharing in this competitive field.
Artist:
Designed my own cover already. From being a former artist which I developed adverse behavior towards them. Majority of them have nasty habits such as drugs, drinking and greed. Also don't trust them right of the bat ( experience.).
Facebook and twitter: I have pages for my book on both. Unfortunately due to the 'flood' of independent writers that don't have their books edited betwixt authors copy catting each other. Unfortunately my pages on both is not getting love as it should. I was against social media all together but the end of the day that was business call. There's some edited work on fbi book but I am in the minority of Authors that have their work edited.
Lulu:
Bad customer service experience sales guy got mad when I told him I would be designing the book cover and did not want to pay for some else designing the books cover. Let's say I got the guy fired by writing a letter to his manager ( no cuss words though.)

Cover: This is the problem in this field judging a book by its cover. Book blurb already taken care of partner and I came up with a lot of them. I wanted my book to stand out betwixt have curvy girl on the cover instead of a female on the water and cocaine diet.
Website works better than social media any day of the week. Thanks for responding.
Seasons of Pain

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Nice. Not sure enormous bazongas get you 'curvy' credits, but of course it depends on the audience ;-)

message 9: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Richard wrote: "Nice. Not sure enormous bazongas get you 'curvy' credits, but of course it depends on the audience ;-)"

I made the cover myself, it stands out and that's how the character looks too.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments No crit intended. The 'curvy' word sometimes gets you points in certain circles for not using unrealistically skinny women. But they prefer a... more even... distribution of the extra weight, I think.

message 11: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Richard wrote: "No crit intended. The 'curvy' word sometimes gets you points in certain circles for not using unrealistically skinny women. But they prefer a... more even... distribution of the extra weight, I think."

Wasn't crit my friend just stating a fact about the character. You do have a valid point on curvy. With me not that picky when it comes to curvy women bigger up top the better she is to me lol.

message 12: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Connecting with other authors is also good to help get word out. And, if you're on FB, there's a huge event shaping up for October over there. I participated last year, and did OK - wasn't able to give it the attention it needed, so it quite as much of a promotion as it could have been, but it did help me expand the network.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/17422...

Also, if you've got a media kit together yet, I'm a blogger and wouldn't mind setting up a spotlight post for you. That will also include a week of tweets on my feed. I'm not a huge presence, but my following is growing. Feel free to PM me, and we can discuss details if you want.

message 13: by Imowen (new)

Imowen Lodestone (lodestonethedawnofhope) | 123 comments Imowen wrote: "Richard wrote: "No crit intended. The 'curvy' word sometimes gets you points in certain circles for not using unrealistically skinny women. But they prefer a... more even... distribution of the ext..."

Sure I will be interested in setting up a spotlight with you. Unfortunately crappy Fakebook locked me out of my books account. So we can only contact each other through my email imowen@seasonsofpainseries.com My other alternative social media is tsu.co ( they pay you loot for being on there.)
http://www.tsu.co/Lodehammer On tsu you have to make an account. 'However' it's not crowded and it doesn't have the rift raft stuff like facebook. Also when I am able to log back in I am going to terminate the account anyway. It's flooded with Authors like me doing the same thing.
Also I do have a twitter account ( my partners suggestion)
: https://twitter.com/ImowenLodestone
No one has friended me on there either. Back to what I am agreeing to, the spot light I am interested in. More spotlight I get the better just send me email and set up an account on tsu.co or whichever your heart desires. Again I am all in for the spotlight and look forward to working with you.

Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Seasons of Pain (other topics)