Predictions! discussion

82 views
Upcoming > The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
What are your predictions for Book 2 of the Magnus Chase series? Especially after that mini-cliffhanger in the epilogue?
Remember to invite all your friends to this group so we can get discussion going!


message 2: by Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ (last edited Dec 14, 2015 03:40PM) (new)

Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments I think that Magnus is going to try to find Thor's Hammer before Loki does because Loki is going to try to use the hammer to invoke Ragnarok. No idea if that matchs up with Norse Mythology but that's what it seems like to me!! Can't wait!!


message 3: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "I think that Magnus is going to try to find Thor's Hammer before Loki does because Loki is going to try to use the hammer to invoke Ragnarok. No idea if that matchs up with Norse Mythology but that..."

Yeah, I don't actually know much about Norse mythos. So it's all a surprise for me!
I actually thought Loki was going to get the hammer and Magnus would have to recover it... hmm... you idea does make sense though...


message 4: by Babhravi (new)

Babhravi I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor's hammer.


message 5: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor's hammer."

I really hope that happens! The author did say Annabeth would play a minor but important role in the series... that could be it!
Do you think any other demigods will feature?


message 6: by Babhravi (new)

Babhravi Arch wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor's hammer."

I really hope that happens! The ..."


Maybe some other demigods which we know will appear, but there will probably be ones that we don't know who are children of the Nordic gods.
What might happen is that there could be a kid at camp half blood who was never claimed, because although they were a demigod, they weren't a Greek or Roman demigod, and instead they could be a Nordic demigod, and they might meet Magnus.
Also, the person that Annabeth might tell Magnus to go to could be someone related to Chiron, or maybe even Chiron himself, or Magnus might meet someone related to Sadie and Carter in The Kane Chronicles, since Annabeth and Percy meet Sadie and Carter in the short ebook stories.


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Babhravi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor's hammer."

I really hope that ..."


That'd be pretty awesome. Maybe all his series can lead up to one big crossover. Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus/Trials of Apollo, The Kane Chronicles, and Magnus Chase all could come together to save the world! I'd read that in a moment!


message 8: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor's hammer."

I ..."


I sincerely hope that is what it is leading up to, because I would really like to read that! I think it would be really fitting if that was Rick's final send off to all the series...
But I also think that currently not too many characters from the other series will be in Magnus Chase, because Rick's made it clear he wants it to be his own series.


message 9: by Babhravi (new)

Babhravi Arch wrote: "Reyna wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll help find Thor'..."

Yeah, that's probably right, but maybe when Rick Riordan has finished with Magnus Chase and the Trials of Apollo, he'll make a big series with all of our favourite characters from all of the books in it.


message 10: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Babhravi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Reyna wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Babhravi wrote: "I think that Annabeth will appear again and offer some useful information about someone Magnus can go and talk to who'll he..."

Definitely a possibility!
I don't know if it will happen though... I want it too, but Rick has already done some crossovers, and already placed them in the same universe. I'm not sure if he's willing to do an ultimate crossover, but if he did it would be very cool!


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Does anyone have any predictions for what Samirah's special job is going to be that Odin gave her? Personally I have no idea but does anyone have any thoughts?


message 12: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "Does anyone have any predictions for what Samirah's special job is going to be that Odin gave her? Personally I have no idea but does anyone have any thoughts?"

To be honest, I really don't know. We didn't get many clues... I'm hoping it will be something to do with the fight against Loki. Since Samirah is Loki's daughter, and yet trusted by Odin, she's in the perfect place to be a double agent. I think that would be awesome to see, though how she would pull it off, I'm not sure. But I don't know... there are so many possibilities...


message 13: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Have you guys seen the new cover and read the first chapter?
Here's the link if you haven't:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/28/...

I like the chapter, though it is a little fast-paced, and the cover is very nice! It's official, by the way: Magnus knows about the greek gods! How do you think that will affect him? And will we be seeing Annabeth in this book?

Also, any ideas as to where Hearth and Blitzstone are? And who killed Otis? I'm guessing some sort of servant of Loki, but I honestly don't know about Hearth and Blitzstone.


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments I haven't read the chapter yet but I've seen the cover and I like it for the most part. I really like the coloring, the hammer, and Magnus on it but I don't know if I care much for the faces of what I'm assuming are Thor and Loki. It would just look better without them in my opinion. Great but I still like the first cover more :)


message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments Well I finally read Magnus Chase so I can finally read this thread.
On the topic of Norse Mythology - I probably know more Norse mythology going into this series than I did Greek mythology going into the PJO series - so I am in some ways excited.
Obviously the second book is going to be about finding Thor's hammer but I also think that there will of course be the threat that Ragnarok will occur if people come to know that Thor's hammer is missing.
I think that Sam's mission is simply to find the hammer leading a group of people - but I think that as part of that she will not doubt have to try to stop her father as Loki becomes the mainstream villain.


message 16: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
The Bookworm wrote: "Well I finally read Magnus Chase so I can finally read this thread.
On the topic of Norse Mythology - I probably know more Norse mythology going into this series than I did Greek mythology going in..."


I actually didn't know much about Norse mythology, I knew way way way more about Greek (and Egyptian) mythology. So it was quite interesting to find out more, I knew the basics and I'd read a couple of myths and books with Loki etc. but none with the nine worlds and elves and dwarves. And most of the minor gods. So it was pretty interesting, I found!

Loki's very interesting, definitely. Not entirely sure what you meant about him being a mainstream villain, though? He's sort of been established as the guy behind the scenes in the first book, with Surt and the Wolf (can't remember his name) being the main villains in that book.

If Sam's mission is to find the hammer, what about Magnus? Also, Annabeth will be in the second book, no? What do you think?


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Maybe Sam will go missing looking for the hammer and Magnus has to pick off where Sam left off? I agree Sam probably has the mission but Magnus will have to be involved so to me this makes sense.
And does anyone think this series will be just preventing Rangarok, or will we see Rangarok actually play out since it's already inevitable. Any thoughts??


message 18: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "Maybe Sam will go missing looking for the hammer and Magnus has to pick off where Sam left off? I agree Sam probably has the mission but Magnus will have to be involved so to me this makes sense.
A..."


Yeah that makes sense! Sam going missing would actually be a pretty Rick thing to do (Sally missing in the TLT, Grover missing in SoM, Annabeth missing in TTC etc.) so I actually think that could happen. In a way I kind of don't want to though because I like Sam a lot and it would be a shame if she wasn't in a portion of the book!
Plus, Blitz and Hearthstone are apparently missing (according to the extract). I wonder what they're doing... I'm guessing it's probably something to do with what Sam was going to talk to Magnus about (if you haven't read the extract probably none of this makes sense, sorry!)
As for Ragnarok, I think we'll see it happen, because otherwise there'll always that 'well it's going to happen anyway'. It might not, but I think Rick would write it in as an epic finale. If it did happen though, I'm not sure how Magnus would deal with it...


message 19: by Kittycatcp (new)

Kittycatcp | 12 comments I don't have many predictions about this book yet but I do believe that Annabeth is going to have a bigger part in this book than SoS.

On the topic of Norse mythology, I read this series a while back about it, The Blackwell Pages. It was a fun, quick, and easy but interesting trilogy and it has a load of Norse mythology things in it, and it is kind of a long the same plot line - Ragnorok is coming, however the person who wrote it went about it a bit differently but certainly has similar aspects. In fact one of those aspects was that the boy had to go looking for Thor's hammer.

I do have a feeling that we are going to meet the Midgard serpent sometime in the future though.


message 20: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
I haven't actually read that series, but it sounds good!
As for the Midgard serpent, are you referring to the world serpent? Because I think that was in The Sword of Summer. I'm really bad with Norse mythology, so you might not be!


message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments I think maybe the world serpent will reappear because that scene was not hugely important - considering that was meant I be one of the biggest monsters in Norse mythology, it would nice to see Magnus having to face an awake world serpent.

Sam going missing would be a very rick thing to do, but I would prefer for the not to because I like her character better than pretty much anybody else in the series so it would be a shame to miss that - plus Blitz and Hearth have already gone missing - I think it would be a bit boring for everyone to suddenly go missing and it's more fun when there are multiple people on a quest, not just magnus.
so yeah for those reasons I think and hope sam does not I missing.


message 22: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Good points... but somehow I get a feeling Blitz and Hearth aren't actually missing. I feel like we'll meet them again soon! I have no actual reason as to why I believe that though, so you can pretty much ignore it...
Does anyone have an idea which gods we'll meet? Obviously we'll be learning even more about Thor, but who else? I can't remember what Odin's wife was called (Frigga I think)... maybe her?


message 23: by Kittycatcp (new)

Kittycatcp | 12 comments My bad its been a while since I read it, but I agree with The Bookworm that the Midgard serpent will play a much bigger role in the future, I am pretty sure that it is a big piece in Ragnarok.

On the point of Blitz and Hearth missing, I've got a feeling that they were called to some urgent Godly matters and haven't yet had time to get Magnus involved. However I also feel that they would've told, or at least have left a note for Magnus and Sam because of how they called each other family in the end.

Also, does anyone have an idea how old Blitz and Hearth are? I don't think it's important but I'm just curious.


message 24: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Kittycatcp wrote: "My bad its been a while since I read it, but I agree with The Bookworm that the Midgard serpent will play a much bigger role in the future, I am pretty sure that it is a big piece in Ragnarok.

On ..."


Sorry, I don't know how old they are! I'm not sure if it said. They're probably reasonably old?
And I agree that Blitz and Hearth have probably gone on some quest/godly thing. Looks like everyone's involved in the action but Magnus, so far!


message 25: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) I know! Seems everyone is involved before even the book starts. Any suggestions for that goat-assassin at the end of the chapter?


message 26: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Paridhi wrote: "I know! Seems everyone is involved before even the book starts. Any suggestions for that goat-assassin at the end of the chapter?"

I have no clue who the goat assassin is and I really want to know :p
Honestly, I feel like it's connected to Loki. In the last books, it was Fenris wolf (that was his name right) and Surt that played the main roles of villains, if I remember correctly, but it seems like Loki will be the main villain, pulling everything together, behind all actions... or at least, that's what it seemed like from the epilogue, when Loki teased he was going for the hammer. So I'm looking forward to seeing more Loki; it's probably one of his minions. Does anyone know much about Loki, and if he had any servants (like Thor has the goats... though I'm not sure that's actually in Norse mythology. Probably not :p)

Also, now I'm talking about the epilogue in the Sword of the Summer... is Randolph working for Loki now? Will we see him again? Does he even know Magnus is alive/undead? Truthfully I can't remember, but hopefully we see him play a big role?


message 27: by Kittycatcp (new)

Kittycatcp | 12 comments I don't think Randolph knows Magnus is alive, I might be wrong though. I have a feeling that Loki will be a bad character but there might be something or someone who is behind him that is the ultimate bad character.


message 28: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Kittycatcp wrote: "I don't think Randolph knows Magnus is alive, I might be wrong though. I have a feeling that Loki will be a bad character but there might be something or someone who is behind him that is the ultim..."

Thanks, I just didn't remember to be honest :D And I think I agree, if you've read the Kane Chronicles, perhaps Loki could be something like Set? So not the main villain of the series, but not good. Simply a complex character. So I think what you said is actually very likely. I think Magnus having to work with Loki could be very interesting...


message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments I would assume that Blitzed and Hearthstone could be of any age since they are from dwarven and elven worlds in which everyone lives to different ages (wasn't that Junior guy like 400?)
Also I think that Loki will be the main villain for the series, personally, as he is an extreme trickster and is extremely devious in general. I reckon he is living for Ragnarok to occur, which I think will occur in the final book.
In general Loki has some servants of his own, but as a character his main skill is being a liar and devious god, thus I suspect he will talk other gods/giants into being his minions.
As to what gods we will meet, I assume Thor, Loki, Oden, Freya and others. Hopefully we will meet some new and interesting gods which I dont know about :)


message 30: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
The Bookworm wrote: "I would assume that Blitzed and Hearthstone could be of any age since they are from dwarven and elven worlds in which everyone lives to different ages (wasn't that Junior guy like 400?)
Also I thi..."


I have to say in part I disagree with you! While you may be right, I hope Loki isn't the main villain of the series. He's the trickster, so I think he should change between sides etc. I think Ragnarok will be the ultimate thing, and I know Loki is trying to make that happen maybe he helps the gods in the end?

Obviously the more I think about it, you're probably right, but I hope it's not Loki. However I definitely agree meeting more gods will be interesting. I also hope in this book maybe Annabeth has to help him in a fight or something? We can expect to see her again in the series, so there is hope!


message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments I guess Ragnarok is the ultimate villain as such but it is an event after all - personally I think Loki will change sides consistently because he is very fickle. However in the end he too will fight Ragnarok.
I would love to see some more of Annabeth because she would be a great addition to the story! :)


message 32: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
The Bookworm wrote: "I guess Ragnarok is the ultimate villain as such but it is an event after all - personally I think Loki will change sides consistently because he is very fickle. However in the end he too will figh..."

Yup, definitely, in the myths Loki is fickle so I hope to see that in the books as well. Knowing Rick, I'm sure we'll get that, because we've seen him write such villains. (Set and Setne come to mind from Kane Chronicles).
But, I wonder what will cause Ragnarok...


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments So do we all agree that Ragnarok is going I actually happen in the series? Cause if it does, I find it hard to believe that demigods and magicians since they're in the same universe as this series to not sense when it happens so do we think that MAYBE there will be either help from the demigods and/or magicians or at least they will all be exposed to each other's worlds a little? Just a thought...


message 34: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "So do we all agree that Ragnarok is going I actually happen in the series? Cause if it does, I find it hard to believe that demigods and magicians since they're in the same universe as this series ..."

That would be awesome!! I think it's unlikely though, however there are points for and against it. Obviously Annabeth knows about the Norse world now, and she's met the Egyptians, so links have been established, so theoretically they could help. It would also make sense that they would be able to feel something was wrong...

However, the only reason I doubt it may happen, is not because of the logic (it's very logical) but because of Rick himself: he probably won't want too many others to enter Magnus' series, especially not to fight, since they might end up dominating the series, and he's been very clear this is Magnus' series... whether he's stuck to that or not!

So that's why I think it might not happen, but logically, yes, if Ragnarok happens others should be exposed. It'd be awesome if it did happen though, so I can always hope. Or do we think there may be another crossover book with all three series now?


message 35: by hannah (new)

hannah pachet | 21 comments Yeah I think it's unlikely that the characters from other stories will come. Because not only is Rick making it clear that this is Magnus's story, but the Greeks/Romans have their own stuff going on (trials of Apollo). Annabeth is supposed to have a "small but significant role" and Magnus's dad said he'd "need her help before all this is done" so she's obviously going to be there at some point, but I think it will be more of her giving vital information or something, not being in the final battle.

As far as we know the Egyptians don't have anything huge going on, but since they have no relation to Magnus and them and Percy and Annabeth decided they should try to stay their separate ways, they probably won't even know Norse gods exist.

On a total side note, did anyone else picture Thor as Chris Hemsworth even after Magnus specifically said he didn't look like that? Because once Thor was mentioned that's automatically where my mind went and now it's impossible to go back.


message 36: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Yeah I think it's unlikely that the characters from other stories will come. Because not only is Rick making it clear that this is Magnus's story, but the Greeks/Romans have their own stuff going o..."

Yeah, I think you're right in that. I think Annabeth is (probably) the only character we'll see crossover into Magnus Chase, at least at this stage. And even then, I don't think she'll be fighting Magnus' battles, like you said. Perhaps after the series ends we'll see some crossovers but till then, no.

I pictured Chris Hemsworth at first but after a while I forced myself to think of the description given in the back, which was pretty different eg. red hair and stuff. I had the same problem for Loki...


message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments I think it's unlikely that any of the other of Rick's universes will be dragged into this other than the aforementioned Annabeth. I actually don't want any of them to be dragged into it. I actually preferred the Magnus Chase book to the first Trials of Apollo, although the they were both good, and I really love it's originality, humor and new discoveries. I love finding out about Norse mythology via this book and honestly I don't think either the Romans, Greeks or Egyptians need be dragged into it.

I do, however, want Annabeth in the book, although only as a minor character, as I think having just her is a nice, nostalgic touch without taking away any of the story from Magnus and co, but also provides a connection to the rest of the Riordaverse.

What do I think Rick will do? He definitely won't bring in the Magicians - I don't think so cos he doesn't really seem to like them as much and I don't think they'd work in that world. I think he may bring in a tiny bit of PJO with Annabeth, but he might only have Annabeth. Either way I don't think he'll overpower Magnus. He was being genuine, I think, when he said that this was Magnus' story.


message 38: by The (new)

The Reader (goodreadscomthereader) | 108 comments The Bookworm wrote: "I think it's unlikely that any of the other of Rick's universes will be dragged into this other than the aforementioned Annabeth. I actually don't want any of them to be dragged into it. I actually..."

I agree with you that there shouldn't be a crossover between the other worlds that Rick Riordan has written for the Hammer of Thor (besides Annabeth). I think it would be different than something along the lines of "Demigods and Magicians". Because here, this is only Magnus's world and I think Annabeth should just be that character to come in the story once in a while and contribute to the story.
As you all probably know, there's the trials of Apollo going on at the same time so I don't think there would be a link between Magnus Chase and TOA to be needed a crossover.


message 39: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Magnus Chase has come out today! When are you guys reading it? Any last predictions before you start? :)


message 40: by The (new)

The Reader (goodreadscomthereader) | 108 comments Dunno, I'll read it soon enough!


message 41: by hannah (new)

hannah pachet | 21 comments I just got it, so I'm officially staying off the internet until I finish it to avoid spoilers at all costs xD


message 42: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "I just got it, so I'm officially staying off the internet until I finish it to avoid spoilers at all costs xD"

Good idea xD I've already got spoiled, but I probably won't read it for a week and it doesn't seem like too big a spoiler, it sort of just made me more excited :)


message 43: by The (new)

The Reader (goodreadscomthereader) | 108 comments Yeah I got spoiled too...I'm going to read the book slowly so I don't have to wait longer for the TDP and the next MC book.


message 44: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
The wrote: "Yeah I got spoiled too...I'm going to read the book slowly so I don't have to wait longer for the TDP and the next MC book."

I probably won't wait too long, it never seems to work out that way haha. I've been spoiled quite a bit, though a lot of it was due to my own curiousity so I guess I'm to blame! What I've heard sounds great...


back to top