Sacramento Public Library discussion

Reading Challenges > December 2015 Reading Challenge: Books that give You a Chill

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (katielady_librarian) | 62 comments Mod
Welcome to our last reading challenge of 2015! This month, I challenge you to read a book that gives you the chills. Whether those chills come from suspense, a cold setting, fear, or excitement!

The book I will be reading gives me chills from both anticipation AND excitement...Winter by Marissa Meyer, the fourth and final book of her wildly popular teen fantasy series "The Lunar Chronicles." A modern twist on classic fairytale characters set in the industrial future where Earth and Luna struggle with each other to fight a deadly disease that affects nearly half of the population. Chilling stuff!

If you're in need of some titles to get you started, be sure to check out our December 2015 Reading Challenge book shelf. Happy reading!

message 2: by Katie (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:20AM) (new)

If you look on the top right of this page, there are links to other SPL pages like "Group Home," "Events," or "Discussions." Select the Bookshelf option, and then scroll to the December 2015 Reading Challenge.

@Sarah - I'm so sorry! I deleted your question on accident!!!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (mrsclift) | 11 comments Found it! Thank you! I was on the app and couldn't find it from there.

message 4: by David (new)

David Henson | 57 comments Mod
I'll be reading Demon Hunts, it's winter and it's about as close to scary as I can get in all honesty! :) If I finish this one in time I may look at something else that's a bit of a better fit.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 105 comments On the list to read this month is "In the Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe: Classic Tales of Horror, 1816-1914." Among the authors represented in this collection are Lefcadio Hearn, Ambrose Bierce, Sarah Orne Jewett, Saki, and Theophile Gautier.

message 6: by John (new)

John | 105 comments Katie wrote: "Welcome to our last reading challenge of 2015! This month, I challenge you to read a book that gives you the chills. Whether those chills come from suspense, a cold setting, fear, or excitement!

T..."

I'm listening to the audiobook of "Winter." A former colleague at SPL recommended the Lunar Chronicles and I've enjoyed every book in the series.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I just finished reading "The Night Sister" and think that qualifies! It was a bit more on the horror side than I generally prefer. Too bad I read "Into Thin Air" last month. That certainly would have qualified on all criteria!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael | 8 comments Hi all...I'm new to the group. For the December 2015 reading challenge, I plan on reading "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson. I've absolutely LOVED his previous books, and I can't wait to read this one.

message 9: by Katie (new)

John wrote: "Katie wrote: "Welcome to our last reading challenge of 2015! This month, I challenge you to read a book that gives you the chills. Whether those chills come from suspense, a cold setting, fear, or ..."

Hi John, I never thought to listen to the audiobooks! Is it the same reader for each book? I too had a former colleague recommend this series to me, and I'm so grateful that she did!

message 10: by Katie (new)

Susan wrote: "I just finished reading "The Night Sister" and think that qualifies! It was a bit more on the horror side than I generally prefer. Too bad I read "Into Thin Air" last month. That certainly would ha..."

Hi Susan, I read the book's synopsis on Goodreads and it sounds extra chilling! You were prepared for this month's challenge :)

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments The funny part, Katie, is that if I had known, I probably wouldn't have read it! Some accidents are good ones!

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 68 comments Mod
Does a Stephen King count? I just finished "Mr Mercedes" for a book club and discussing it was even more unsettling than the book. He is a skilled writer and a tuning fork for the world of horror.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Michael wrote: "Hi all...I'm new to the group. For the December 2015 reading challenge, I plan on reading "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson. I've absolutely LOVED his previous books, and I can't wait to read this one."

Hi Michael, what an interesting choice! I checked out the synopsis from the SPL catalog and requested the book for my dad. He's a huge history buff and I think this will be right up his alley. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Teresa wrote: "Does a Stephen King count? I just finished "Mr Mercedes" for a book club and discussing it was even more unsettling than the book. He is a skilled writer and a tuning fork for the world of horror."

Of course Stephen King counts, Teresa! I added Misery to the bookshelf for this month because there are too many of his titles that would fit perfectly into this theme.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin M. | 28 comments NO horror books for me this time of year. I'll read my usual mysteries and sf/f since my tbr pile is growing every week. I might get around to A Christmas Carol by Dickens or a sappy holiday themed romance too. I haven't actually ever read that particular book by Dickens.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments @Robin A Christmas Carol has ghosts, lots of snow, and some fear. I think it counts. ;)

message 17: by Katie (new)

We're about halfway through the month... How are the chilling books everyone is reading?

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I just finished The Case of Lisandra P. It was suppose to be like Girl on the Train. I wouldn't say it was as riveting as that but it was a good book.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Rahimi | 2 comments Susan wrote: "I just finished reading "The Night Sister" and think that qualifies! It was a bit more on the horror side than I generally prefer. Too bad I read "Into Thin Air" last month. That certainly would ha..."

I just finished listening to the audiobook "into Thin Air", read by the author. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It definitely was chilling with all the descriptions of blizzards and frostbite as well as the questionable behavior of some of the participants in the disaster. I definitely want to watch the movie "Everest" now!

message 20: by Katie (new)

I hope everyone enjoyed their chilling books during this wondrous month of December. Our winner for this month is Michael!

Michael, let us know what you like to read (either here or through a message) and what library branch is your closest one. That way, we can send the goodies directly to you!

Happy reading everyone :)