Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in December 2015?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I'm trying to finish up The Return of the King, and then I think that I'm going to tackle a whole lot of short books and graphic novels so that I can hit my goal, which currently stands at 30 books needing to be read this month.

1 per day. I can do this. LOL

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Becky wrote: "I'm going to tackle a whole lot of short books and graphic novels so that I can hit my goal, which currently stands at 30 books needing to be read this month.

1 per day. I can do this. LOL "

o_O

message 3: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Heh. I just lowered my goal.

I'm still working on Dogsbody from last month. Enjoying it, just got a late start.

Also working on a re-read of Leviathan Wakes before continuing with that series.

I have lots of things I intend to jump into once I have free space. Which means I'll probably read something other than those when the time actually comes.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I also plan on reading some GNs and stuff, but mostly because I figure some light reading is due for end of the year.

That and I'm worried enough about getting through Doctor Sleep...

Just started The Unmapped Sea, of the Incorrigible Children from Ashton place series.

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments I did a low ball number for my 2015 goal and am not even close. *sigh* My reading in 2015 was terrible.

But I'm re-reading Harry Potter so that's a plus!

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "But I'm re-reading Harry Potter so that's a plus!"

And I'm wearing a Harry Potter dress!

(That's relevant, right?)

Yay Harry Potter!

message 7: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I think Harry Potter is going to be the first thing that I read next year. I haven't read it in a while and I miss it. But I don't want to rush through it to try to squeeze it in this year, so next year, for sure.

message 8: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 123 comments Just started The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5), and that's my main focus at the moment, but I'm also continuing Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle, #4), as well as the odd manga here and there.

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments As opposed to manga that isn't odd. Heh

message 10: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'd be thrilled just to read the back of a cereal box at this point!

message 11: by Becky, Modderific (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:50PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I just got an email asking me to blog about a book which is described thusly: "[Author]'s stunning NA debut is a fiercely imaginative, multilayered contemporary fantasy where Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus meets Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles in a story about a girl caught between two societies . . . two sides . . . and two loves."

Oh god. Could there possibly be a book more tailored to be everything I hate? I cannot stand Anne Rice and her stupid whiny ass existentialist waaaaaaaaaaaaaaampires. I fucking detested The Night Circus - every single thing about it, and the very thought of NA, and not just NA, but LOVE TRIANGLE NA makes me stabby. So stabby.

Where do I sign???

Shame that it's this combination of awfulhorribleshit, because the cover is pretty.

message 12: by Chris , cookie guilt (last edited Dec 01, 2015 07:19PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Hey, I would SO read that blog entry/review.

message 13: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:15PM) (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 119 comments I'm currently listening to Coma by Robin Cook. I have just over 2 hours left and will finish tomorrow because now it's all coming to a head. The narrator is Donada Peters, but I noticed Audible issued a new version. Debating whether to get it or not. This is a book I would listen to again.

I have started both Gods of War (edited by Christopher Stasheff) and Dragon's Eye by Christopher Stasheff and just not getting into either. Both came from a Baen bundle, so I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for either.

I also plan a relisten to Harry Potter series for next year. I cut, pieced and tied quilts listening to the series the first time around. This time I plan to knit socks to use up all my accumulated sock yarn.

My goal for the rest of the month is to finish books started AND try to finish a series of mysteries. Then fresh into some fantasy - not sure what yet, I have so many in my TBR.

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:53AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Becky wrote: "I just got an email asking me to blog about a book which is described thusly: "[Author]'s stunning NA debut is a fiercely imaginative, multilayered contemporary fantasy where Erin Morgenstern's The..."

Sounds something more up my alley... except for the whole love triangle thing. ;P

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "I just got an email asking me to blog about a book which is described thusly: "[Author]'s stunning NA debut is a fiercely imaginative, multilayered contemporary fantasy where Erin Morgenstern's The..."

O_O

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I started Red Rising last night. It's okay so far. A little distracted with the world building and language used though.

message 17: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) I'm starting The Rabbit Back Literature Society today. Then I'll be in a mad dash to fit in all the books I wanted to read for 2015 challenges but haven't yet - eek!

American Gods
The House of the Spirits
The Golem
Briar Rose
Love in the Time of Cholera

If all goes well and I stay on target, I'll take a short break from fiction to read Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale. Then I'll resume my annual re-reading of Harry Potter.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Jackie wrote: "I started Red Rising last night. It's okay so far. A little distracted with the world building and language used though."

Pierce Brown is kinda cute! I was surprised.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) MrsJoseph wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I started Red Rising last night. It's okay so far. A little distracted with the world building and language used though."

Pierce Brown is kinda cute! I was surprised."

He is! Those eyes! Wouldn't mind meeting him in person :P

message 20: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Oh wow.

Ummm... So, Leah. That's a big stack of books you're working on there.

message 21: by Leah (last edited Dec 02, 2015 01:23PM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) Chris wrote: "Oh wow.

Ummm... So, Leah. That's a big stack of books you're working on there."

lol Yeah, I was distracted from my planned list many times this year and now I'm playing catch up.

message 22: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Story of my reading life, Leah...

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Hi folks! Long time, no checking in. As Chris knows, I haven't been reading much this year. I would say it's due to graduating and starting a full time job, but really it's that I have too many hobbies and I've been spending my time watching TV and playing video games. Also I've been hanging out with friends a lot- gasp! Anyways, now that winter is around the corner I'm feeling more in the mood to read a lot. I won't get anywhere near by challenge goal, but it is what it is.

So what am I reading now? Hogfather (hardcover), Professional Integrity (audio), & Cinder (Kindle).

I'm enjoying Hogfather a lot and I'm surprised at how different it feels from Douglas Adams' writing despite such a similar style. I was very excited to download Professional Integrity for free on Audible. I didn't realize that the next book in the series came out so I'll be reading that soon, too! I'm only a few chapters in with Cinder but wow- it's already so different than what I expected in a very cool way.

This is the one group that I really want to stay active in, so I hope to check back in soon! Hope everyone is having a good week.

message 24: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Hey Jenny! Great books to get you back into things...

I need to get to Hogfather, but I'm trying to read Discworld in order and it's a way in. Damn, I've failed so badly at reading those this year.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Chris wrote: "I need to get to Hogfather, but I'm trying to read Discworld in order and it's a way in. Damn, I've failed so badly at reading those this year."

Mmmmhmmm....<_<

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I never did read Hogfather last year like I was going to. Ended up watching it instead.

message 27: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Jackie wrote: "Chris wrote: "I need to get to Hogfather, but I'm trying to read Discworld in order and it's a way in. Damn, I've failed so badly at reading those this year."

Mmmmhmmm....<_<"

Me three. =\

message 28: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Well, I did read (view spoiler) this year!

message 29: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Ooh - that reminds me... me and Jer are meant to start our Discworld read through next year. One a month for a billion years...

message 30: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Chris wrote: "Well, I did read [spoilers removed] this year!"

Me too. Exactly one.

message 31: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "Ooh - that reminds me... me and Jer are meant to start our Discworld read through next year. One a month for a billion years..."

Good luck! That was a kind of goal that I had this year, to read one or two every month or so. I failed. Horribly. Maybe I'll retry next year.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Chris wrote: "Well, I did read [spoilers removed] this year!"

That's further than me. Just checked to see the last one I read...it was in October 2014. Eep! I have to take my side eye back. :)

Colleen, I had a similar goal of reading 1 or 2 a month, but obviously I failed.

message 33: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Well, the new year is a good time to start again!

message 34: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Well, Jackie. In your defense, you were waiting for me to catch up to you.

message 35: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'd be thrilled just to read the back of a cereal box at this point!"

Well, the good news... My reading drought seems to be over! (Yay!) I have just started Hood via the King Raven Trilogy omnibus.
The bitter-sweet news, I'll have less time to enjoy reading as hobby during the next 2 or 3 years!

1. My long-term subbing assignment has been extended through the end of the school year!
2. I'm officially a college student again, and will start classes in January. I need 5 classes to complete my associates and then on to my Bachelors of Education.

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Chris wrote: "Well, Jackie. In your defense, you were waiting for me to catch up to you."

This is true. <_<

I might try to pick it up again at some point next year, so you still have time. hehe. My list is set for this month and next January might be taken up by Harry Potter. J wants to get through the series this year and I told him I would re-read them with him.

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments I forgot that there's a Hogfather movie! & it's on Youtube- yay! This is my first Discworld but I definitely want to read more.

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Nyssa wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "I'd be thrilled just to read the back of a cereal box at this point!"

Well, the good news... My reading drought seems to be over! (Yay!) I have just started Hood via the..."

Congrats on your job & schooling!

message 39: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Good job, Nyssa! :D

message 40: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Good luck and have fun, Nyssa.

message 41: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Thank you, so much everyone, for the love and support. It means a lot to me!

message 42: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Congrats and stuff, Nyssa!

message 43: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments Nyssa wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "I'd be thrilled just to read the back of a cereal box at this point!"

Well, the good news... My reading drought seems to be over! (Yay!) I have just started Hood via the..."

Congratulations and best of luck!

message 44: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Sinistmer wrote: "Congratulations and best of luck! "

Chris wrote: "Congrats and stuff, Nyssa!"

Thank you! :)

message 45: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I am finishing up The Traitor Baru Cormorant; I was supposed to read it for After Earth this past month, but my free time got eaten up by NaNoWriMo. Not sure what I'll read next, maybe The Fifth Season?

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "I'd be thrilled just to read the back of a cereal box at this point!"

Congrats!!

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Sinistmer wrote: "I am finishing up The Traitor Baru Cormorant; I was supposed to read it for After Earth this past month, but my free time got eaten up by NaNoWriMo. Not sure what I'll read next, ma..."

The The Fifth Season is so good! It's one of the best books I've read all year. Wonderful story & great characters that are well developed.

message 48: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments Jenny wrote: "Sinistmer wrote: "I am finishing up The Traitor Baru Cormorant; I was supposed to read it for After Earth this past month, but my free time got eaten up by NaNoWriMo. Not sure what ..."

Thanks for your comment, Jenny! I may have to read that one next then!

message 49: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Over the weekend I read Justice League Dark volumes 1 & 2 and started 3.

This morning I started Shadow Scale, follow up to Seraphina. I kinda liked how it started. It had an excerpt from a 'history text' which sort of summarized the first book. I thought this was kind of a cool way to remind us what happened without oddly cramming it into the narrative.

message 50: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I'm reading (or listening to) Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson. It's book 7 of my 30 in 30 December reading challenge.

Right on target. Now if only I could be this focused all the time and in the rest of my life... like, with work. :P

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.