Reader's Paradise discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Archive > December BR : Sohel and Gorab - the perks of reading with a buddy!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments What should we read Sohel?
I'm mostly into science fiction, mythological fiction, and books which are adapted as films. But I'm open to any new genre as well.

Are you willing to read perks of being a wallpaper?
If not suggest something.

message 2: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jarvis  | 2591 comments Mod
Reading anything guys? :P

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments :( Nothing decided so far.
U there Sohel?

message 4: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PM him. I hope he gets here soon :D

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments PMed him. Me too hopes he joins soon...
Will wait for him till a couple of days or else I'll have to find somebody else.
Would have joined your BR 'Trip to Galaxy' but I've already read that.

message 6: by Sohel (last edited Dec 05, 2015 11:11AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments

Ohh.. Gehna.. You just found my kind of guy..

Hey Gorab..few days back I was thinking about starting the Novel... I was occupied with work and 'A little Life '

Did not finish it yet.. but I like to read two or three books at a time.

So.. When should we start ?

message 7: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, there you are.... happy reading you two :D

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Cool! Lets start Monday :)
And now I realise its not wallpaper but wallflower :P
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments A Little Life looks interesting too. But quite huge! How do you find it so far?
I'm also currently occupied with Asura: Tale Of The Vanquished but its gonna take a while to finish it.
SO then we're both going to start wallflower as a second reading :D Sounds awesome! Hopefully the book turns out good.
Happy reading.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Ready to start today Sohel?

message 11: by Meera (new) - added it

Meera | 880 comments u both starting perks?

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments yes yes yes :) come join us!

message 13: by Meera (new) - added it

Meera | 880 comments will join if i get the paperback:)

message 14: by Sohel (last edited Dec 07, 2015 05:22AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments I'm reading it on my Android :p

message 15: by Sohel (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments Who changed th Subject line !! Is it you Gorab ? Or is it Gehna..

message 16: by Sohel (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments I'm starting The Perks of being a wallflower today, will update you tomorrow at this time.

message 17: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sohel wrote: "Who changed th Subject line !! Is it you Gorab ? Or is it Gehna.."

It wasn't me :)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Yes I've changed the subject line :)
Started a couple of hours back. The book has four parts and I thought of reading one part every week.
But it so happened that while immersed in reading, I suddenly hit the page saying "part 2" :P
Depending on how much you read today Sohel, would like to discuss a couple of points. And would read further only when you are done with part 1.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments And I didn't realise earlier that changing the subject line resulted in change of the link to this page.
Apologise for that - no more modifications.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Where have you reached Sohel?

message 21: by Sohel (last edited Dec 10, 2015 09:31AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments
I've finished the first chapter... last night.. Liked the Storytelling style.. Will finish at least first part by tomorrow. :-) :-)

No need to apologize Gorab.. Nice choice of words !!

message 22: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sohel, check the short story wala thread.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Even I like the simplistic narration in forms of letters. Made me chuckle many times while reading. So far liking Charlie for his innocence and open heart.
Will probably read part 2 during this weekend.

message 24: by Sohel (last edited Dec 13, 2015 06:58AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments I don't like, what is happening with the boy.. You should not judge someone by one mere act of resentment , because he got angry and hit somebody one time does not mean he should not be given a chance to prove himself as a better person..

I don't know if the parents are doing this because it is a right thing to do, or they are doing this so that they can hold their pride in front of Bill(Charlie's teacher) and the society.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments I haven't reached the part that you are describing Sohel. Story wise I've reached the part where all the friends play Secret Santa. Absolutely loved that part. Very touchy. And icing on the cake was the poem that Charlie gifted to Patrick!! What an awesome poem that was!
So far loving it :)
I'm still at Part2, somewhere around 40% of the book.
Where have you reached?

message 26: by Gorab (last edited Dec 16, 2015 03:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments This is turning out to be an emotional rollercoaster! I feel empathetic to Charlie. Makes me sad at times.... and yet makes me chuckle while being sad :)
Beautifully written!
Planning to finish it within this week.
Where are you Sohel?

message 27: by Sohel (last edited Dec 16, 2015 07:22AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments I have reached just page 60... I was saying those things regarding the boy whom Charlie's sister was dating i.e. 'Going out with' :-p

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Okays! Now I get what you were talking.
Earlier I thought you meant "Charlie" as the boy in "he got angry and hit somebody"
I am reading it atleast an hour daily... and in that one hour I feel infinite :D

message 29: by Sohel (last edited Dec 16, 2015 09:46AM) (new) - added it

Sohel Alam | 38 comments

Actually to be very true...the things the characters are doing in the story and the things they are going through are very much different than what happened in my life ( I meant to say lives of the boys like mine.. here ) .. But,
the feelings and the way the author described them are very much alike the way I felt( I meant experienced.. ) at that time of my life and still do sometimes ..

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments If you dont mind my asking, how different and similar were the events in your own life?
For me.... similarity wise, I used to prefer writing letters instead of phone calls and emails. Though the letters in the book are more like a personal diary. Playing Secret Santa, Truth and Dare, mixing audio tapes of fav songs and gifting to others are some of the other similarities I've indulged in.
Difference wise, I've never tried smoking cigarette or hash. And I wasn't an introvert in my college days.

Based on their obsession with "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" I figured the characters are based in America and the things they do is all American.

Would have enjoyed reading this much more if I was still in college. Wish I could go back in time and recommend this to my younger self :P

Do you write (or used to write) letters or diary?

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments U there buddy? I hate talking to walls :P :P