Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM December 16 to 31 - The Conqueror (Bodice Ripper)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 480 comments Mod

Discussion thread for December 16 to 31, 2015 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (please see "some html is ok" for instructions)

Happy reading! :)

Like a pagan god, Rolfe the Relentless rode into Castle Aelfgar to claim it as his prize--and Lady Alice as his bride. Lauded for his bravery in France, in England he was the hated enemy. Once ensconced in his new domain, Rolfe became determined to tame the Saxon beauty Ceidre, Alice's illegitimate sister, whose spirit and sensuality make him risk treason to have her--not Lady Alice--in his bed...

Mysterious and seductive, she was no lady but a spy for the rebel cause of her noble half brothers. Refusing to bow to this arrogant warrior who ignited her forbidden passion, Ceidre was swept into a dangerous liaison tied to the fate of England and kings. Yet with his kisses on her lips, his skillful hands on her body, she would have to struggle not to surrender to... The Conqueror.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Yay, I've had this on my TBR for what seems like forever.

message 3: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Me too! Haha

message 4: by Sawyer (new)

Sawyer Belle (sawyerbelle) | 21 comments Ha ha aw man - I've read both books for December! Ah well. Gives me time to do some Christmas shopping instead.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments This has been sitting on my tbr pile as well.

message 6: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Sawyer wrote: "Ha ha aw man - I've read both books for December! Ah well. Gives me time to do some Christmas shopping instead."

You had a headstart! ;)

You can still chime in!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I'm starting this a bit early because I can use it for another challenge which is time sensitive. I will use spoiler tags.

You know it's a bodice ripper when (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments It certainly is Lisa!

When I start reading this I'm going to look at the page count and compare to Stormfire's page count! Ha

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I'm up to Chapter 22 now.

Despite the (view spoiler) I'm wondering if this really falls into the category of a bodice ripper? Brutal times sure it is medieval and a time of conquest but I would classify this more of a historical romance typical of the style written in the 80's/90's. And the prose is only on the light side of purple too.

Rolfe is quite considerate for a "rampaging warrior" and Ceidre really does test him throughout the story.

message 10: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Dec 05, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I've finished. Quite enjoyed it although it did wrap up with all the loose ends completed rather abruptly. Definitely on the lighter side of the bodice ripper in comparison to some of the others I've read and the time period it is written about. Life was brutal in 1067!

(view spoiler)

3.5 stars.

message 11: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1098 comments I have found an ebook copy so it will be interesting to see if it has been "watered down" for modern consumption.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'm at the 50% point. It's official, (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 22 now.

Despite the [spoilers removed] I'm wondering if this really falls into the category of a bodice ripper? Brutal times sure it is medieval and a time of conquest but I wou..."

I haven't seen anything of a bodice ripper yet. This h/H are a very stupid pair! Even in Stormfire (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Dec 12, 2015 02:24PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I'm a lot more forgiving when I read books written 20+ years ago. They just feel dated to me in the style they are written. There are only a few which really stand the test of time. Nevertheless, I didn't mind this one. But not a good example of a real bodice ripper.

Rolf was a bit of a sap...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'm usually more forgiving of these "oldies" too, but Rolf (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Speaking of the quality of writing for these HR being dated, I've read 3 of Christine Monson's 6 old out of print titles and the writing did not feel at all dated.

Oh Christine! You left us too soon! And left us with so little to remember you by!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments YES. I really liked Christine Monson as well. I've read Stormfire and Rangoon both great examples of the genre.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Rangoon is one of the three I read. I really liked it. The third of her titles I read took place in India--the Sepoy Rebellion--I forgot the title, but I liked that too.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find that one.

Didn't the author die in a car accident? Very sad.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find that one.

Didn't the author die in a car accident? Very sad."

Christine M took her own life. I think she suffered from depression and left young children behind--how awful for those children.

I remember the title of the Sepoy Rebellion book--This Fiery Splendor.

message 21: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 12, 2015 03:59PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Well finally! (view spoiler)

EDIT: (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments That's awful about Christine Monson. I had no idea. Her books were certainly epic.

message 23: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Saw your review, Andrea. I hate TSTL heroines! Ughhhh

message 24: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

I should have trusted your review, Andrea!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Kat, the Hero was more TSTL than anyone else.

message 26: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

UGH YES, I HATED HIM.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments You really hated it that much. Wow. It was a mid level read for me. Not fantastic but readable.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I couldn't stand that hero. He didn't act as William the Bastard's top commander should behave.

He had the spine of a well-done noodle, I mean the hero.

message 29: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Unfortunately. I actually had high hopes for this one. I had a problem at first with the writing style and then I met the H/h and it went downhill from there.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I was very disappointed with this book.

When I started this book, I was ready for reading entertainment of no common order.

I've read some HR where the Hs were nasty customer, but never pathetic like this guy.

I was too through when (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments You ladies have made me rethink my star rating. All very valid points. I'm going to drop it to three stars because I didn't hate it like you but it definitely had characterisation problems.

message 32: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Martha wrote: "Well I finished that says a lot. I could not get into this book from the beginning it was slow and really didn't come together for me. Just didn't enjoy the characters or story line it was just odd..."

Haha. Sorry about that. Want a buddy read to make up for it?