The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Least Favorite Books of the Fall 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
What were your least favorite books of the Fall 2015 Challenge? Which books didn't meet your expectations?

message 2: by Donna (last edited Nov 30, 2015 07:44PM) (new)

Donna | 1110 comments Thankfully, I only had (1) 1-star rating. I know a lot of people liked this book, but I found it so annoying.

Pines by Blake Crouch

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments 1-star
Touch by Gayleen Froese I finally get the book and read it, and the synopsis and cover are a lot better than the book

message 4: by Nicola (last edited Nov 30, 2015 11:55PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments 1 star reads (or less in the case of LCL)
The Drowned World
Lady Chatterley's Lover
The Castle of Otranto

message 5: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing--I know loads of people loved this, but I was very definitely not one of them!

message 6: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) | 403 comments There was only one book I didn't like at all: Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni. Lately it's been hard for me to find really good Finnish literature and Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni is one of the worst ones I've read this year.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments NO question ... The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness ... ZERO stars!

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) Only 2 books that I thoroughly disliked this time around!

2 Stars:
Portnoy's Complaint
Go Tell It on the Mountain

message 9: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 375 comments 2 one star reads for me this season.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 - Not for me, bleg. I'm calling it quits on this series.
The Dog Who Wouldn't Be - I expected this to be light and humorous but so many horrific things happened to animals that I couldn't enjoy the mildly fun parts.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 by Alan Moore The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments I just had one Penpal by Dathan Auerbach

message 11: by Kristen (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments I had only one that I couldn't finish
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel
I enjoyed the subject matter, but I listened to the audio and found it hard to follow when it was difficult to distinguish who was who because the author doesn't identify who "he" is most of the time and the narrator didn't differentiate the voices enough for me to be able to tell either. I probably would have enjoyed it more to read it, but after getting through 43% on audio, I just couldn't make myself try to pick it up again.

I had a couple of two stars:
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

I really wanted to like both of these. I read a later in the series Chicago Stars book about 10 years ago, I'd guess, and really liked it but I wonder if I'm older and wiser now and noticed things about this book that I wouldn't have been bothered by when I was a decade younger.

As for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, I like the bakery concept, but just couldn't figure out what Bill was so busy with that it became necessary for Hannah to do his job in addition to her own. Not to mention, she did things that weren't legal and were a quite stupid. Nevertheless, it was a light read and I looked forward to picking it up to read so I think I will give this series another chance...because I really want to like it.

message 12: by Christine (last edited Dec 11, 2015 03:18PM) (new)

Christine | 712 comments Candide got two stars from me. Struggled to finish it, and it is a short book.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments Kristen wrote: "I had only one that I couldn't finish
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel
I enjoyed the subject matter, but I listened to the audio and found it hard to follow when it was difficult to distinguish who wa..."

I really liked Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1 comments I had several one star reads this season and a few 2 & 3 star reads. Although, these were by far the worst.

One Star

March by Geraldine Brooks La Perdida by Jessica Abel Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk Eureka A Prose Poem by Edgar Allan Poe Royce (The Hunter Series, #1) by Kathi S. Barton The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1) by Ray Bradbury

message 15: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments I always find this thread very interesting, as it shows how widely tastes in books differ. E.g., The Knife of Never Letting Go was a four-star read for me.

I had only two one-star reads this fall, The Silence and Uhri, but many two-star reads, meaning that they weren't really enjoyable but not quite bad enough to earn only one star.

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments I only had one two-star read Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi and no one-star reads.