The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best of the Fall 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
What were your favorite books of the Fall 2015 Challenge?

message 2: by Donna (last edited Nov 30, 2015 08:00PM) (new)

Donna | 1110 comments I had (2) 5-star ratings.

Freak Show Without A Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations
----this one was so hilarious. The author did a great job.

Fuzzy Nation
----which I loved. It was a fun sci-fi.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1323 comments I had five 5-star ratings

New to me:

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Rereads:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) by Mercedes Lackey

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments I'm glad you liked Six of Crows and Uprooted.

They are on my TBR pile and I hope to get to them soon.

Deborah wrote: "I had five 5-star ratings

New to me:

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh BardugoCareer of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert GalbraithUprooted by Naomi Novik

Rereads:
[bookcover:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaba..."

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments I read a nice selection of books in this reading season and although I am very sparing of allocating 5 and 4 star ratings these are new reads which were particularly excellent.

5 star
Uncle Silas
Our Mutual Friend

4 star
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Mating Season
Becoming Queen
Rendezvous with Rama
The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe

message 6: by Trish (last edited Dec 01, 2015 12:28AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments My favourite discovery was The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend - perfect for curling up with a glass of wine.

I also loved The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays and Homeless Cats - which proves that cats really are trying to take over the world.

message 7: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments My favourites were Gilead(now perhaps my favourite book ever) and Gaudy Night.

message 8: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) | 395 comments I read four really good books during the fall:
The Song of Achilles
Odd and the Frost Giants
Song of Susannah (reread)
Small Gods (reread)

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 653 comments I read my favorite book of the year this season. In Bears In The Caviar, Charles W. Thayer tells about his experiences as a diplomat in Russia, Germany, and Afghanistan from the 1930s - 1950s. He is an excellent storyteller who takes the reader through a range of emotions. In one chapter he comically teaches the Red Guard polo. In the next chapter, he describes how it felt to be forced to turn away a group of German Jews seeking asylum during World War II. He knew that he was their last hope. When they left his office, they would immediately commit suicide.

As a side note: Thayer was a victim of McCarthy's witch hunt and removed from office after decades of service.

I'll be reading everything this man wrote if I can get my hands on it.

message 13: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 375 comments A few of stupendous 5 star reads this seasons!

Written in Red - <3333 One of my new favorite books. I've already reread it! I also read and loved the second book but am holding off on reading the third. I want to savor it more than I did the first two :P
The Mysterious Affair at Styles - I've read this before but I listened to it on audio this time... IT WAS SO PERFECT!! The actor who plays Hastings (BBC) preformed it and his character is the narrator for the book too.

Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling #4) by Nalini Singh The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 678 comments I had four 5-stars this challenge:
Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas The Orange Lilies (The Forensic Genealogist #2.5) by Nathan Dylan Goodwin The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11) by Jennifer Chiaverini The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

I had a number of 4-stars so I'll list a few that stood out:
Bound (Fire on Ice, #1) by Brenda Rothert The Lost Ancestor by Nathan Dylan Goodwin Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin The One & Only by Emily Giffin Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) by Jeffrey Archer

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Five Stars

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children The Graphic Novel by Ransom Riggs Anne Frank Remembered The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family by Miep Gies Grace (Sisters of the Heart, #4) by Shelley Shepard Gray Forgiven (Sisters of the Heart, #3) by Shelley Shepard Gray Reality Boy by A.S. King The Faraway Horses The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen by Buck Brannaman

Four Stars

The Old Brown Suitcase A Teenager's Story of War and Peace by Lillian Boraks-Nemetz Two Crosses (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #1) by Elizabeth Musser Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs The Midwife by Jolina Petersheim The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

There were a couple of others that I gave four stars to but these were the favorites.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2387 comments Two 5-Star surprises for me last fall:

The Floor of Heaven: A True Tale of the Last Frontier & the Yukon Gold Rush by Howard Blum, and

Planet of Exile by Ursula K. Le Guin -- having been a LeGuin groupie for 40 years, I had never before read this early gem of hers.