Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book that is becoming a movie this year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A book that is becoming a movie this year ... wow, this one is pretty specific. Give us some ideas! What's being released in 2016?

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I already did some searching and I'm leaning towards either The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith (which is already on my reading list!) or The Silver Chair by CS Lewis (which IMDB claims will be released in 2016!). There's also Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I was also going to use The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

Here's a list of other books that are going to be movies this year: http://kindleaddicts.com/20-books-bec...

message 4: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I will most likely read Me Before You. I am going to try to do most of these with books I already own.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Belinda wrote: "I will most likely read Me Before You. I am going to try to do most of these with books I already own."

Me Before You is a great book! I read it this year.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments Have read the Statistical Probability... it's a good fairly quick read

message 7: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Sara wrote: "Me Before You is a great book! I read it this year."

I did too. Jojo Moyes is an author I discovered this year and moved through quite a few of her books in 2015.

message 8: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Here's another blog post with recommendations ... lots of crossovers from the list above.

http://www.alannaandcompany.com/2015/...

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I discovered this article on this subject:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment...

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I discovered this article on this subject:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment..."

That's a helpful list, Kirsten. I may add The Light Between Oceans to my short list. I've heard mixed reviews on that book, but I'm curious enough to want to find out for myself.

message 11: by Melody (new)

Melody | 203 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I discovered this article on this subject:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment..."

Oh man! They are making a movie of The Circle!?!?!?! Welp, I will probably be reading that book for the prompt then! Thanks for the super helpful list, Kirsten!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments Sara wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I discovered this article on this subject:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment......"

The Light Between Oceans is one of the most emotionally intense books I have ever read. I hated it as I was reading it, but it's one of those books you hate because you hate what is happening to the characters, not because the book is bad. I recommend it.

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments The girl on the train is at the top of my tbr list so I'll go with that!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily A. | 15 comments I read The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman in 2015 because I heard it was being filmed by Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander.

message 15: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I really wish these threads had "like" buttons. There are so many times I want to just hit "like" rather than copying and pasting the entire message. /rant

I read The Light Between Oceans when it was first published. It really stuck with me for a long time. Even to today. I'll be very excited to see it as a film.

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments Especially with Michael Fassbender.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Juanita wrote: "I really wish these threads had "like" buttons. There are so many times I want to just hit "like" rather than copying and pasting the entire message. /rant

I read [book:The Light Between Oceans|13..."

I "like" your message, Juanita!

message 18: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is coming out in 2016

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments I was just coming on here to ask about Me Before You, so I'm happy to see some good reviews. I've always though JoJo Moyes had ugly book covers, but Moyes is my maiden name, so I feel this obligation to read at least one of her books.

message 20: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Me Before You is amazing. The sequel is OK but not needed. Of course, I did read it the week it was released so that shows you something.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 5 comments If you like Dan Brown, Inferno is becoming a movie in 2016

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments I'll be reading Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll.

message 23: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments The girl on the train is a stand alone book right? It is not part of a series?

message 24: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5907 comments Mod
Right, Girl on the Train is standalone

message 25: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Thank you! That is the one I will be reading for this one :)

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily Fantastic beasts and where to find them:)

message 27: by Britt (new)

Britt | 25 comments Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

message 28: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments The BFG

message 29: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Emily wrote: "Fantastic beasts and where to find them:)"

Just saw a trailer for it; it looks like fun!

message 30: by Annisa Nurul (new)

Annisa Nurul Aziza (azizanurul) | 8 comments Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

message 31: by Fabiana (new)

Fabiana Acosta (fabi_ad) | 14 comments Fantastic beasts and where to find them

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I'm going for A Monster Calls. I've seen it recommended many times on GoodReads and on Youtube, and it looks really interesting.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Tack | 31 comments I plan on reading The 5th Wave

message 34: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 8 comments I just finished The 5th Wave and it was such a great book! Would totally recommend it for this task, although I am normally not the one for dystopian/alien stuff! Can't wait for the movie now!

message 35: by Nadine in NY (new)

I loved The 5th Wave too!! 5 stars!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Tack | 31 comments Kiki wrote: "I just finished The 5th Wave and it was such a great book! Would totally recommend it for this task, although I am normally not the one for dystopian/alien stuff! Can't wait for the..."

Glad to have the thumbs-up!! The movie trailer looked incredible, so I've been eager to tackle the book!

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalder...

Buzzfeed posted this today. I think we mentioned some of them but maybe there's a new idea or two on the list we didn't think of!

message 38: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Megan wrote: "http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalder......"

Haha I just came on here to post this same article!

message 39: by Leigh Ann Jones (new)

Leigh Ann Jones | 23 comments I didn't realize that How to Be Single was based on a book! I'm glad I checked the article before I broke my personal rule of reading the book first.

message 40: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lrclark83) I'm reading The Girl on the Train which is supposed to be released in September.

message 42: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm reading The Girl on the Train which is supposed to be released in September."

I recently read this book and it is AMAZING!! It was hard to read at times but, I couldn't put it down. Such a good book!!

message 43: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm stretching this one a bit, as I'm gonna read 22/11/63 by Stephen King. Hulu is going to air it as a TV-series with James Franco starring, and because I've had it in my TBR pile for a while I thought "moving pictures are moving pictures" :)

message 44: by Nadine in NY (new)

Marianne wrote: "The movie won't be released until sometime late next year, but filming has apparently started on the movie adaptation of The Snowman by Jo Nesbø. Michael Fassbender as the main character Harry Hole..."

I'm reading Nesbo's "Nemesis right now for either "set in Europe" or "translated"!! It's my first Nordic mystery novel. Other than being set in Oslo, it's not much different from other mystery novels.

message 45: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments I am so reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for this prompt!

message 46: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Marianne wrote: "The movie won't be released until sometime late next year, but filming has apparently started on the movie adaptation of The Snowman by Jo Nesbø. Michael Fassbender as the main character Harry Hole..."

Interesting...I am planning to read The Bat later in the year for another group challenge...if they were going to make a movie I would think they'd start with the first book, but since I've only heard about them and not read any yet maybe there's a reason for that? My uncle recommended the series to me but I am not that familiar with it.

message 47: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I am going to read A Monster Calls for this category.

message 48: by Steven (new)

Steven Perry | 47 comments I read Silence and was a good book, fairly short and will star Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson in this drama by Scorsese

message 49: by Nadine in NY (new)

Ellen wrote: "Marianne wrote: "The movie won't be released until sometime late next year, but filming has apparently started on the movie adaptation of The Snowman by Jo Nesbø. Michael Fassbender as the main cha..."

Nemesis was the first book I read, but I think the third in the series - they were translated all out of order from when they were published in Norwegian, I don't know why, because there is an underlying story arc that should probably be read in order. It was explained well enough that I was able to completely enjoy the book, but I suspect it would be even better if I had read them in order.

message 50: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) If you like nonfiction, the book The Finest Hours: The True Story of a Heroic Sea Rescue by Michael Tougias was turned into a film this year.

« previous 1