Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

The Mistress of Spices
This topic is about The Mistress of Spices
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Mistress of Spices > The Mistress of Spices - Who's Reading? / Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited Nov 30, 2015 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The December 2015 Endicott book is The Mistress of Spices, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.
Who's reading?

The Mistress of Spices Readers' Guide

This is an old favorite of mine, and I'm a fan of Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's books generally.
There was a romantic movie made of The Mistress of Spices as well - anyone see it? (I enjoyed the movie, but liked the book better).

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I'm reading it! And none of that "oh I plan to join the group soon" nonsense--I'm almost done with it! I'll probably finish it this afternoon, actually. Less than 100 pages to go.

I'd never heard of Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni before, nor any of her other books. Compared to Mistress of Spices, what are her other books like? Just as much magical realism/mythology? More information on second generation P.O.C. in the US?

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments Oh and I just now saw the reader's guide. Thank you for the link, Odette.

message 4: by Odette (last edited Dec 10, 2015 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Odette | 316 comments Mod
You're welcome, Anatha.
The books of her's that I've read bring together narratives of Indian women still in India with Indian women who have moved to the US. I especially liked Sister of my Heart and it's sequel, The Vine of Desire.
There's a strong feminist element in her novels, and also a serious examination of both the gifts and the costs of moving beyond one's community and traditions.
I don't remember as strong a mythic/magical theme as in The Mistress of Spices.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.