Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1)
This topic is about The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
Group Reads Archive > December 2015 Heroic Fantasy Read: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
Let's read and discuss a classic book this month: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard.

Thank you very much for all your participation with the group reads this year!

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Bell | 21 comments I was a non-reader up through the age of 12 or 13. Then my dad gave me a book of Conan stories--actually a collection of DeCamp/Carter pastiches--and I was hooked from then on. I credit REH for turning me away from television and onto books.

Some excellent dark and moody stories in this collection. REH could write of the crumbled vestiges of a long-dead civilization better than anyone, before or since.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 789 comments I'm another one who began reading because of Conan & those very same Lancer editions, mostly because of the cover art by Frank Frazetta. They were just too cool & I HAD to read them. This is definitely a collection of some of the best stories. "the Phoenix & the Sword" was redone by Carter & deCamp for the Kull book. I liked that version better.

I have no opinion on the poetry. I've never cared much for any. Even REH couldn't interest me.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Bell | 21 comments That's too true, Jim. Did Frazetta make Howard famous, or was it the other way around?

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 789 comments Perhaps a bit of both. Great match up, at any rate. I like most everything both did.

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I started this late... the audiobook is good. The "foreward" or "Preface" is worth reading too. Conan is great for quotes... "That which does not kill us does not kill us." ...