Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Idiot
This topic is about Idiot
Language & Translation Issues > add almost all data

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments This book is Serbian editon, so language should be added.
Translator: Petar Mitropan
Author in Serbian: Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski
Cover: http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-F-Dostoev...
Publisher: Dereta
Pages: 768
Format: Hardcover
Description in Serbian: metnikova misao se u ovom romanu kreće na relacijama večnih pitanja: žeđi za životom i straha od smrti, zdravlja i bolesti, ljubavi i mržnje, prirode i etike, dobra i zla.Dostojevski u svom romanu "Idiot" daje anatomiju sredine sa vrha društvene lestvice. Radnja se održava u Pavlovsku-letovalištu petrogradske aristokratije. Junaci dela su porodice generala, kneževa, bogati trgovci i svet koji se kreće u njihovoj orbiti. U životu tog sveta Dostojevski je zapazio i naslikao dva fenomena: krizu porodice i izuzetnu vlast novca koji je postao mera svih vrednosti. Dosojevski stavlja svoje junake u takve životne okolnosti u kojima će se najintenzivnije osetiticena života.

message 2: by Annika (new)

Annika | 568 comments Updated.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14565 comments All translated authors should have the English/international version of their name as primary author.

Have added Fyodor Dostoyevsky as primary author. Changed Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski to Fjodor M. Dostojevski, as per the cover. All covers on the Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski profile have his name in Cyrillic, so they should have the Cyrillic version added instead.

Is this correct, Zoran? Фјодор Михајлович Достојевски

(Argh, a lot of work to be done on the different profiles...)

message 4: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments Yes, it is correct for cyrilic.
But I have to say that in my opinion it should stay in Latin, because if stays in cyrilic, then you could not find it you type in Serbian Latin,and Serbian Latin is most used for Internet browsers

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14565 comments That's a good point. I'll leave it for rivka to decide then whether to leave titles and author names in Serbian Latin.

Re the patronymic:
Searching for Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski only finds books with the full name
Searching for Fjodor M Dostojevski finds that name and Fjodors Dostojevskis (Latvian)
Searching for Fjodor Dostojevski finds all three (of course)
so I think it's OK to let it depend on the cover, or should we always put the full name, rivka?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
What does the LoC have as the primary author version of that author's name? That's usually what we use as an arbiter in such cases.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14565 comments The primary author version in LoC is Fyodor Dostoyevky, same as in GR. But this is about the name in Serbian.

message 8: by Zoran (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:40PM) (new)

Zoran | 247 comments Actually in Serbian, we all call him Dostojevski (or Достојевски in Serbian cyrilic) :)
Also some publishers put Fjodor Dostojevski, some of them Fjodor M. Dostojevski, some F.M. Dostojevski and someone put whole name.
For me, as someone who looking for book is most important that if I type name in Serbian, find editions in Serbian. I don't expect that GR have ability as google to autotransform cyrilic in latin when you search for something and vice versa.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

lethe wrote: "But this is about the name in Serbian."

Ah! Sorry, missed that.

Zoran wrote: "Also some publishers put Fjodor Dostojevski, some of them Fjodor M. Dostojevski, some F.M. Dostojevski and someone put whole name."

Then we would generally go with the one which includes all the others, the full name.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14565 comments rivka wrote: "Then we would generally go with the one which includes all the others, the full name. "

OK, but if the Serbian cover is in Cyrillic (title and author)? Zoran says "But I have to say that in my opinion it should stay in Latin, because if stays in cyrilic, then you could not find it you type in Serbian Latin,and Serbian Latin is most used for Internet browsers"

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Are you asking if it's ok to have a third version of their name added to that edition? It gets a bit crowded, but it's ok to add it.

message 12: by lethe (last edited Nov 30, 2015 03:25PM) (new)

lethe | 14565 comments No, I mean on the Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski profile most covers are in Cyrillic, so I thought they should have the Cyrillic version of his name (and the title) added instead (Фјодор Михајлович Достојевски).

But Zoran says it's better to leave it in Latin script, because Serbian Latin is more common for Internet browsers, and people using Serbian Latin wouldn't be able to find the book in GR if it was changed to Cyrillic. See f.e. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Or are you saying it's OK to have both Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski and Фјодор Михајлович Достојевски on one record (and in that case, what should be done with the title)?

message 13: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments Uh :)
Let's stay like it is, for now.
1. Cover is in Serbian latin
2. Edition is printed in Serbian Latin.

Now, I read this topic from begining, and lethe confused me. We start talking about cyrilic, but I didn't look book again.
In Serbia, books are printed in latin or cyrilic. 'Till now a lot of books on GR added in latin, even they are published in cyrilic. I'll look for examples if you need, but it's just because of practical motive for searching (as I said above).

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If the title is in Cyrillic on the cover, it should be here too. It can have a transliteration in brackets.

Yes, I am saying that after the two required versions of the name (Romanized as primary; as per the cover as secondary), another version of the name can be added -- if that really will be useful. Bit crowded, though.

message 15: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments well, a little bit to crowded.
Here is one example, I added it today:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

So, as you said rivka, and please correct me if I'm wrong
this should be:

(Беле ноћи) Bele noći
by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski, Фјодор Михајлович Достојевски, Nikola Ljuljka, Никола Љуљка

Only this is to crowded, and what is about publisher?
It is also typed Српска књижевна задруга in the book, etc...

Can't be changed everything and it would be real mess.
Some things should stay as it is. In case everything changing than even language shouldn't stay Serbian, it shuld be Srpski or Српски.

This is not such a big problem, because, everyone who find book which looking for, on base of cover can know is it published in Latin or Cyrilic ;)

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Фјодор Михајлович Достојевски would be second, not third, as that's what's on the cover.

Publisher is ok in either language.

message 17: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments Yes, second. Typed in a hurry, it's late and I'm tired, probably my posts are full of typing and gramatic mistakes, but I just wanted to say that all this about author typed several times is a little bit confused for ordinary user, who came here just to find book :)

And why is now publisher OK?
What if the name of publisher is on the cover?

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Zoran wrote: "What if the name of publisher is on the cover?"

Good question! I would say if it's actually on the cover, we should go with how it is written there.

message 19: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14565 comments Zoran, your book now looks like this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I've seen worse :)

message 20: by Zoran (new)

Zoran | 247 comments :)
Thanks lethe.
So from now, all next edition in Serbian cyrilic added by me will be full of data :)