Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > Do you listen to audiobooks in car? if yes what apps do you use and what do you like/dislike about them

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Barkan (new)

Barkan Saeed | 5 comments I listen to audio books in car. I am using audible most of the time. however, i don't like its interface when using inside car. You have to go to separate screen to use features like swipe for forward or back. Plus i would really want a feature where i can tag audio so i can listen to the highlighted tag audio parts later.

What are you using for listening to books in car?

Looking forward to your replies

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 28 comments I use Audible (on my phone) and OneClick Digital (on my ipod). I prefer Audible because of the playspeed options. I usually listen to most audiobooks on 1.5-2.0 playback which OneClick does not provide.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments I have listened to several apps through bluetooth in my car including Overdrive and Hoopla from my library and Audible. I find them all of equal caliber but of course it is always nice when I can get books for free from my library so prefer Hoopla and Overdrive simply because of that reason. I don't really use any features like you do though.

message 4: by HJ (new)

HJ I use Audible in my car, which is fine unless I want to rewind a little way which never seems to work. I also occasionally borrow audiobooks on CD from the library and listen to them in the car. I was going to say that's how I started, but in fact I think I originally listened to audiobooks in the car using cassette tapes!

I am completely hooked on listening to audiobooks while driving. I couldn't contemplate a long journey without checking first that I have more than enough books. Listening to music just doesn't occupy enough (and it makes me drive too fast, something about the rhythm). Occasionally I'll listen to cricket on Test Match Special if it's on, but it isn't on the right channel and I lose coverage in places.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 129 comments I use cassettes, CD's, Overdrive and Audible when driving. Some of our CD's and all of the cassettes are older and not available elsewhere and we have hundreds from a sale a couple years ago. We take a cassette player with us for those but the vehicles accept the CD's. For personal use I have my phone, download to it and listen away.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I listen to all audio books via my Sansa Clip MP3 player. I do listen to Audible books occasionally, but prefer not to. I don't like anything with DRM on it. Luckily, my library has a great selection of MP3 books. They used to have DRM locked WMAs, but have done away from them, thankfully.

No audio tagging, but it's easy enough to FF or back. I can play audios faster, but rarely do.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 265 comments I'm old school - CDs. Free from the library no less. I have never figured out how to use Audible or Overdrive or any other "high tech stuff" :-)

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments I use Smart Audiobook Player on my smartphone normally, so that's what I use in the car. I prefer it to Audible or OneClick or Overdrive because of the versatility of the app.

message 9: by Kristie (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:48PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I use Smart Audiobook Player and Audible from my phone. Both work just fine for me.

message 10: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 705 comments Imma let you finish, but Smart Audiobook Player is the greatest app of all time.

Of all time.

Though I think it's only available on android.

message 11: by Kristie (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:28PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments J. wrote: "Imma let you finish, but Smart Audiobook Player is the greatest app of all time.

Of all time.

Though I think it's only available on android."

Ha! I see what you did there. And I agree.

message 12: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 544 comments Audible app from my phone. Easy peasy.

message 13: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 21 comments I use either audible on my phone or my iPod classic. nothing fancy for me

message 14: by Bill (Just a) (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:34PM) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 698 comments Yes. It turns out that scion has an IPOD hookup so I just plug in my IPOD. I can use the controls of the stereo to go back and forward although mostly I just start the engine, rewind about 4 seconds, and take off.

On my wife's car, it is still an IPOD plugged into auxiliary jack from the IPOD's headphone jack. Then one controls the backward and forward with the IPOD.

IPODs seem to work well and I have heard the same about Iphones.

message 15: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 705 comments The Smart Audiobook Player has a similar feature, Bill. It will automatically back up a number of seconds depending on how long you've had the book stopped, giving you a chance to get back in the groove.

message 16: by Robin P (last edited Nov 30, 2015 07:13PM) (new)

Robin P | 1017 comments Since leaving cassettes, I have always used an iPod,either with a transmitter or direct into an aux port. It is possible to rewind, fast forward, etc but I rarely bother. I don't even remember how to use the radio in the car since I always have it on the aux port.

Had a crisis today, as the tiny square nano I use for this fell into a toilet ("clean" but still . .) I didn't know that I shouldn't turn it on so I did that and it was working! Of course the next day it was dead, probably shorted out. I since found out you should never turn it on when it is wet. ! I own several other devices but they are all bulkier and I couldn't stand being without my constant companion, so I got a replacement. You can still get those 5th gen nano iPods as replacements for $59 from Apple stores. (I knew this from when I ran over a previous one with my car!) Perhaps I should go on eBay and stockpile them.

message 17: by Vishakha (new)

Vishakha Motwani (vimo) | 57 comments I usually use Audible or Smarter Player or iBooks.. I feel Audible and iBooks are very similar, Smarter Player has more variations in speed I don't like the interface much but who cares. I'm growing more and more comfortable with iBooks.

message 18: by Bill (Just a) (last edited Nov 30, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 698 comments Robin,

I have a IPOD classic but I love the little square ones. That's the one I use most.

J, mine isn't automatic. That's a cool feature you have. For me the #4 station button in the car stereo goes backwards a few ticks with every punch. The #5 station button goes forward. Like you, I like to go back just a bit to find that groove.

message 19: by Marilee (last edited Dec 07, 2015 02:40PM) (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments I listen to books on my iPod Nano 6th generation. I download books onto my computer, using iTunes, then load books onto the Nano… it's so easy, the tiny rectangle can hold a dozen or more books, plus music, easily. I can carry it in my purse, in a pocket or use it in the car, where I just prop it in the drink holder and put on my Apple earpods… which allow ambient noise in so I can hear important road noises, for safety. I've used other devices in the past, but for me, the Nano is most convenient and has a long battery life. Some cars have an outlet where you can plug in your device and run the sound through your speakers… I don't.

Obviously, when driving, whatever one uses should be easy to silence. The Nano as a simple side button for pausing. For any more complicated set up or a hard off or on, I do that while parked.

message 20: by Robin P (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:08PM) (new)

Robin P | 1017 comments Marilee wrote: "I listen to books on my iPod Nano 6th generation. I download books onto my computer, using iTunes, then load books onto the Nano… it's so easy, the tiny rectangle can hold a dozen or more books, pl..."

Interesting, I've wondered whether there's a law against having earbuds in while driving (even if other noise can be heard). I used to do that occasionally when I had trouble with my adapter. My current car has a built-in port into the speakers, but I found the FM adapter (which you can buy for $20-$40) worked fine in my previous car to get the sound over the radio.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments I use Overdrive on my home. I like it mostly cause it's free. All the books are through your local library collection. It's nice that it has play speed options and that you can recommend books that they don't have. My library has purchased most of the books I recommended. Occasionally there is a glitch where it skips ahead. But it's only happened a maybe 3 or 4 times and I've been using it almost daily for several months.

message 22: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Robin wrote: "Interesting, I've wondered whether there's a law against having earbuds in while driving (even if other noise can be heard)."

Most U.S. states have some sort of law about not driving with both headphones in your ears. The idea behind it is that it creates an immersive environment, and you would have difficulty distinguishing the noises of your music from the noises of the road; and you might miss things like trains, or ambulances, or people shouting.

It is recommended that if you need to use headphones (earbuds, etc) in the car- only use them in one ear. That leaves the other ear open to ambient noises.

message 23: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 536 comments That's the law in California, as I understand it.

I listen to audiobooks in the car all the time, and love it. It used to be a bit cumbersome connecting my iPhone to cables and such, until I got a Bluetooth to FM transmitter so I could listen to them through the cars radio.

message 24: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 108 comments I use my iPod (audiobooks via iTunes) via a connection so it charges as the same time, i.e. not bluetooth. I can control my iPod as I would my music from the panel on my steering wheel.

I have also used the Audible app without issue.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Carpenter | 3 comments I use Audible app. I have a 40 min drive each way. I can finish a book sometimes in one week. It's great.

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean Fate | 3 comments I use overdrive on my iPhone. When I start up the car my Bluetooth automatically starts the book exactly where I left off thru my car's stereo system. I get all my audiobooks from the library.

message 27: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 108 comments Jennifer wrote: "I use Audible app. I have a 40 min drive each way. I can finish a book sometimes in one week. It's great."

My commute is an hour and a bit each way, so, like you, I can get through a book a week, if I don't use that time to study Gaelic, or listen to podcasts. :D

message 28: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 19 comments I'm at the end of my free trial for Bookmobile audiobook player on my iPhone. It has great features and it's fairly easy to pull books from my dropbox account to load into the app. I have had a couple of glithchy moments when loading a new book, but overall it's easy to use. I looked into the Smart Audiobook player, but it is not iPhone compatible.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate_schechter) | 3 comments I use iTunes & Audible for books we own, and OverDrive & OneClick for library books. I primarily use my iPhone, but I sometimes use my iPod nano. We have aux input on both our cars, so audiobooks play through the audio system.

I feel so last century: I have steering wheel volume but not playback controls, so I still have to touch my device. Siri and my Apple Watch offer voice controls though, so that helps a bit. :-)

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3 comments I use Audible for my books. I use both my Ipod and Kindle Fire. My only problem with iTunes is their policies on banning several types of books (This may have changed now that Jobs is no longer there).

message 31: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments Computer and iPhone

message 32: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tmitche2) | 1 comments I used to plug my ipod into the car, but now I use mortplayer audiobook through the Bluetooth connection in my car.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments I use Audible and OneClick and play via iPod through the car radio. Bit old fashioned, but works well for me, so if it ain't broke why change it!

message 34: by Riz (new)

Riz Ainuddin | 1 comments No issues with Audible's interface. That's the only one I use. It also plays my iTunes files as well. :thumbs_up:

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Sandra wrote: "I use Audible for my books. I use both my Ipod and Kindle Fire. My only problem with iTunes is their policies on banning several types of books (This may have changed now that Jobs is no longer the..."

You use your Kindle Fire to listen to audiobooks in the car?

message 36: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments I use audible and kindle fire via the radio by connecting with an auxiliary cord. Works just fine for me.

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Craig wrote: "I use audible and kindle fire via the radio by connecting with an auxiliary cord. Works just fine for me."

I wasn't doubting that it was possible, just expressing surprise. I will have to consider that as I also own a Kindle Fire!

message 38: by Jean (new)

Jean Fate | 3 comments I use overdrive which automatically connects to my car thru Bluetooth.

message 39: by Cat (new)

Cat (crookedcat) | 8 comments I use Audible app (which needs many new features) on iPhone connected via USB to car stereo.

I would use BT but my stereo will auto answer phone calls. I don't want to answer every call. I haven't been able to figure out how to turn this feature off. Plus BT uses up battery.

message 40: by Marilee (last edited Jan 19, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments I find it easiest to just download books onto iTunes and then transfer them to my iPod Nano and listen via ear buds. This way, I have a dedicated listening device that holds a lot of books and with a lengthy charge.

The law here in Florida says you can't have two earphones in while driving. I understand this but the Apple ear buds allow me to hear ambient noises, so generally, I wear both in while driving.

There is the occasional issue, however. I was stopped at a red light and fiddling with my Nano, trying to go back a track or two in my book when an angry pedestrian knocked on my window, scolding me for "texting" while driving. Well, obviously, I wasn't doing that but that person didn't know… and I wasn't about to get into a road rage argument with them, so I just put my player down until the light changed and then drove to a safe place to stop and find my track. I sympathize with their concern about distractions, even if they made a wrongful assumption.

message 41: by Andy (new)

Andy Ribaudo | 1 comments It has been a few years since I've owned a car (living in London there's no point), but I used to get books from the library and run them through Audacity to change the speed, and just stick them on an mp3 player that I could plug into the head unit in my car. No fancy app needed!

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments
The law here in Florida says you can't have two earphones in while driving."

This seems weird to me. Here in Arizona you can use headphones unless you are transporting children (like on a school bus). If deaf people are allowed to drive, why would headphones be a no-no?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) I use mostly Audible and Overdrive, which I listen to while driving through bluetooth from my iPhone. Occasionally, I use iBooks too.

A problem I've had with Audible, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered, is if I hit pause in the middle of a chapter, it starts again from the beginning of the chapter when I press play again. It is super annoying, especially since I'm usually driving when this happens and really shouldn't be fiddling with my phone!

message 44: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jan 22, 2016 04:24AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) Also, I'm so happy to have found others who sometimes change the speed when listening. My friends all laughed at me when I said I did this! I don't usually, but for some longer books, like A Game of Thrones series, I've done it.

message 45: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments Allison wrote: "I use mostly Audible and Overdrive, which I listen to while driving through bluetooth from my iPhone. Occasionally, I use iBooks too.

A problem I've had with Audible, and I'm wondering if anyone e..."

I haven't experienced that but the bookmark function should solve it. I usually wear my headphones in the car so if I get an incoming telephone call I can answer and when the call is over, Audible starts back up where I left off.

message 46: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments I don't listen in the car as much as I used to, but if my office moves where they threaten to my commute will double. Then I'll get out my iPod again; that's what I do use when I listen while driving. If I can connect it to the radio I haven't figured it out yet, so it's the earbuds for me ... and the cord ending up wrapped around the steering column, or me, or both. I don't think the cd player will read a burned disc - I need to find out, and go that route if I can.

message 47: by Marilee (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments Janet wrote: "
The law here in Florida says you can't have two earphones in while driving."

This seems weird to me. Here in Arizona you can use headphones unless you are transporting children (like on a school ..."

I suspect the rule came about as a theoretical way for preventing distractions and to hear ambient noises on the road. But…

There were some state laws in the past which forbade the deaf from driving, but I think most of those unfair laws have been repealed because as far as I know, the deaf can drive. And even if a hearing person is wearing even one earphone or ear bud, they could still be distracted, as could someone listening to music or books through their car speakers or speaking and listening to passengers.

Rules don't always make sense.

message 48: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 19 comments it seems to me that if you use headphones, you would not be able to hear the sirens on emergency vehicles. I usually hear them before I see the lights.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) And many accidents have been prevented by car horns....

message 50: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Tracey wrote: "I don't listen in the car as much as I used to, but if my office moves where they threaten to my commute will double. Then I'll get out my iPod again; that's what I do use when I listen while drivi..."

there are FM adapters to get your ipod to play through your car radio. I used to use one and it was easy to use and worked nicely. Just plug it into the headphone jack, set it to one of the unused frequencies on the adapter, set the radio to that frequency and there you go :D

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

« previous 1