Brain Pain discussion

Mulligan Stew
This topic is about Mulligan Stew
Mulligan Stew - Spine 2015 > Discussion - Week Two - Mulligan Stew - Chapter 5 - 7

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
This discussion covers Chapter 5 – 7, page 100 – 225

Mkfs | 210 comments I keep waiting for some payoff to the Daisy/Tom Buchanan thing. The abrupt back-handed breaking of a lover's nose? The vehicular homicide of a romantic rival?

Lamont is justly proud of Chapter 5. It feels like there's finally a story here -- not like the first four miserable chapters.

Mkfs | 210 comments
Somehow, in its own crazed, dark, peculiar way, this is -- literature!

Zadignose | 444 comments ^I agree with the above^

I'm still carrying on and enjoying it well, though doing so rather slowly.

I don't know if it's just my own association of ideas, or if there's something to it, but because I've been rereading Kafka's Castle lately, it struck me that Chapter 6 had something in common with Kafka. When Halpin is wondering why the police haven't arrived yet, and he mentions in a seemingly off-hand manner that, perhaps, the police were delayed by a fallen rock, the natural assumption is that he'll move on to a more credible deduction, or mention some other alternatives, but... instead he reiterates, becomes obsessed with the notion, and adds tons of unnecessary elaboration to this merely imagined wrinkle on his story... anyway, it felt a little like some of Kafka's absurd anxiety driven obsessive digressions.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
Zadignose wrote: "^I agree with the above^

I'm still carrying on and enjoying it well, though doing so rather slowly.

I don't know if it's just my own association of ideas, or if there's something to it, but becau..."

Yes, I see what you mean about Kafka in that chapter.