Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Stephanie D's Dusty Shelf Classics

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:48AM) (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I've read six from your list. Of the six I've read Ethan Frome and Cannery Row both stand out as truly excellent. Edith Wharton and John Steinbeck are two favorites. Good Luck!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read 6 from your list and have Emma and Memoirs of a Geisha on my list for this year. The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favourite books (and films) and I highly recommend it if you have time to squeeze it in :)

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments I've read 5 of your choices and am currently reading Cuckoo's Nest. You have some great choices and I hope you enjoy your challenge.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I've read a few on your list and want to read the others. Never enough time for all the good books in the world.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellevoorhees) | 111 comments I've read 5 on your list. Memoirs of a Geisha I've read twice and it was absolutely amazing the first time. The second time didn't wow me quite as much, though. Probably because I had seen the movie then....

message 6: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4561 comments Mod
Love your list. I have read 8 of them and loved them all. I read Memoirs of a Geisha before I saw the movie and was glad of that.

message 7: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 30, 2015 01:16PM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Great list of classics. If you like audio then you might really like Lady Windermere's Fan in the unabridged full cast version. It's very good. Happy Reading!

message 8: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I re-read Gone With the Wind a few years ago and loved it as much the second time around. I hope you are enjoying it too.

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Heidi is a book that I hope to read this year, glad to know it's good. As for Gone with the Wind, it is top notch, I enjoyed it very much.

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Finished Heidi yesterday. 4 stars. Still working on review.... Childhood favorite!

Currently reading Gone with the Wind with a buddy. Looking to complete in early February."

GwTW is a good read -- I've read it several times.

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Congrats on completing your first two books!

message 12: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Hope you enjoy all the books you read this year as much as GWTW.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Excellent. Fun is what it is supposed to be. Happy Reading.

message 14: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Stef, nice review of Black Beauty :) I really want to read it soon

Great progress with your challenge! Not dangerous, only indicates your amazing drive

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3579 comments I enjoyed your review of Black Beauty, Stephanie. I've never read it, and you pointed out some details that made me really want to, though I know parts will be tough.

Congrats on your progress!

message 16: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments And also, no, I don't think you're jinxing it! ;) keep up the great reading

message 17: by Susie (last edited Apr 01, 2016 07:29PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Stephanie wrote: "Finished Lady Windermere's Fan today -- so 3/12. A wonderful 5-star read!!

Also finished The Caine Mutiny yesterday (another 5-star read). Unfortunately, this one was ..."

Totally agree with your review of Lady Windermere's Fan...loved it! The characters were all great and each brought something to the story.

So many great lines!

message 18: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments No...this was my first, but I'll definitely be reading more!

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You are whipping along, Steph!

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Looks like you're having good luck with your book choices at the moment. Well done :)