All About Books discussion

General Archive > GREATEST CHAPTERS: What are the greatest chapters from your favorite books?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Apr 07, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Greg | 3 comments In many years of reading, I often find that I remember specific chapters (or just passages) from books that I read long ago. And will sometimes go back to re-read that chapter from time to time.

Or sometimes I tell people to read this chapter (or passage) first, if they want to "try on" a book, before buying it.

And I just like lists. So this is where I plan to keep mine, on an ongoing and "running" basis.

Ch 11 - Cold Mountain - The Doing of It - why Inman and other poor Southern men fought for Confederacy
Ch 12 - Cold Mountain Freewill Savages - music transforms a character's life.
Ch 12 - Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck portrays Route 66 as the migrant trail, and it comes to life almost as much as a character
Ch 01- Hawaii - say what you will of Michener's writing style, but this chapter about the geologic birth of the islands is one that I can't forget.
Ch 3 - The Reivers - Lucius the narrator explains the mechanics and traps of lying
Ch 20 - Across the river into legend - "Boone" by Daniel Morgan. Final chapter, linking the 18th century American "hero" archetypes, and the literature and poetry of the 19th century Transcendentalism is fantastic.

...more to come...

What are some of yours?

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13213 comments Mod
The last three of Moby-Dick; or, The Whale: breath taking!

message 3: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments With no doubts The Grand Inquisitor, part of The Brothers Karamazov. In fact it's possible to find it also as a stand-alone. Plot: Jesus turns back on the earth and the inquisitor tells him to go away because people aren't ready for it, they would kill him again. It's a deep religious and philosophical pamphlet. It's wonderful.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 3 comments LauraT wrote: "The last three of Moby-Dick; or, The Whale: breath taking!"

Yes indeed. It's been a while. May have to give the ending another peruse.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

Yes Greg. The whole book is a masterpiece, but the last three chapters, the ones of the actual chase and "battle" are in my opinion one of the best specimen of western literature

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7488 comments Mod
I see we have another Greg :) Welcome Greg!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 3 comments Greg wrote: "I see we have another Greg :) Welcome Greg!"

Thanks Greg.
Been around a while, but just don't come on the site often enough. Usually when I finish my last book :)

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Greg wrote: "I see we have another Greg :) Welcome Greg!"

Oh, and I was thinking Greg (mod) had changed his icon picture! Welcome Greg! I like the idea of your list.

message 9: by LauraT (new)

Leslie wrote: "Greg wrote: "I see we have another Greg :) Welcome Greg!"

Oh, and I was thinking Greg (mod) had changed his icon picture! Welcome Greg! I like the idea of your list."

I thoght so too!

message 10: by Nefeli (new)

Nefeli (galacticon) | 52 comments The Return of the King: the last chapter (Grey Havens). It's just so awesome.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Nefeli wrote: "The Return of the King: the last chapter (Grey Havens). It's just so awesome."

It makes me weepy just thinking about this chapter!