The Book Vipers discussion

2016 Reading Intentions > Paul's Reading Intentions for 2016

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Nov 29, 2015 01:13PM) (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Some of my aims for next year:

Still want to work my way through books by classic and modern authors, so Graham Greene, George Orwell, Saul Bellow, John Steinbeck, Julian Barnes, Sebastian Faulks, John le Carré, and Iain Banks.

Managed a fair number of travel books in 2015, but there are always more! Will still be working my way through the Summersdale travel catalogue, and also discovered the Stanford Travel Writing awards

Aiming to read a lot more natural history again, in particular the longlist from the the Wainwright Prize

Managed three from the Arthur C Clarke Award nominees and winners lists. Have sorted out the books I have at home and intend to read those in 2016.

Did really badly on the Steampunk ones, so as long as I read a couple more I will be happy with that.

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Great ambitions. I love classics so a challenge with more classics would be great. My ambition for 2016 is to complete the 2015 challenges. Haha.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Pat wrote: "Great ambitions. I love classics so a challenge with more classics would be great. My ambition for 2016 is to complete the 2015 challenges. Haha."

I know that feeling

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like an interesting set of goals for next year.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Thank you Charlotte

message 6: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 84 comments Paul wrote: "Some of my aims for next year:

Still want to work my way through books by classic and modern authors, so Graham Greene, George Orwell, Saul Bellow, [autho..."

How about some women to supplement your list? ;)

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Yes. Virginia Woolf :)

message 8: by Paul (new)

Anetq wrote: "Paul wrote: "Some of my aims for next year:

Still want to work my way through books by classic and modern authors, so Graham Greene, George Orwell, [author:Saul Bellow|..."

Ignoring Jason... Any suggestions Anteq?

message 9: by Anetq (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:35PM) (new)

Anetq | 84 comments Oh I tried Virginia this year, interesting, but won't be a fan... I am just searching out books for reading af century of women over here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... (hence the obviousness of the all male list :)
Also people keep recommending 500 great books by women, which is also a GR group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/.... As so much else here slanted towards the english speaking world, but hey it's a place to start. Also one can always go with the nobel prize winners: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prize...

I guess my reading intention should be "more Women"...

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments You could read Women :)

message 11: by Gisela (last edited Dec 08, 2015 05:10AM) (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments ]Might be too late, but how about the brilliant George Eliott and Elizabeht Gaskell. Could recommend North and South. Recently read [book:North and South|156538 by Carson McCullers, and really enjoyed it. Have to admit I find Virginia hard to take.

message 12: by Paul (new)

may choose some from here:
http://www.womensprizeforfiction.co.uk/

message 13: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Thanks Paul and Anetq. My intention for next year perhaps. What about Margaret Atwood? Not her later ones, can be difficult, but her earlier ones.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Update as we reach the latter part of the year. I have managed to read 30 travel books so far this year, 24 natural history books but have done really poorly on the classic authors and the Arthur C Clarke award shortlisted books

message 15: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Can't do everything. Next year?

message 16: by Paul (new)

Quite! :-)

message 17: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments Paul wrote: "Update as we reach the latter part of the year. I have managed to read 30 travel books so far this year, 24 natural history books but have done really poorly on the classic authors and the Arthur C..."
Not bad though. I guess natural inclination wins out often. I am also trying to widen my reading scope, especially classical authors I have never read, is to listen to Audible. Hoping to try Wispersinc soon too, to combine reading and listening. Often classics which seem a bit unapproachable for a comfortable read, are a great story to listen to, always depending who reads them.

message 18: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I love to listen to Dickens. Can't finish a book

message 19: by Paul (new)

Managed 27 natural history book so far, and 35 travel books. As well as a pile of other things

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 358 comments Paul wrote: "Managed 27 natural history book so far, and 35 travel books. As well as a pile of other things"

Including the steampunk?

message 21: by Paul (new)

Nope, sadly not got to those this year. Just setting up the threads for next year at the moment

message 22: by Paul (last edited Nov 26, 2016 01:05AM) (new)

As well as the longest for the Wainwright Prize I did manage to read the entire shortlists for the Royal Society Prize and the Baillie Gifford Non Fiction award too

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Well done Paul..