Beginning Authors discussion

A hello!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hair | 29 comments Mod
Hello to everybody...well if anyone joins. My name is Kristen, and I live in Utah. I am a "beginning" author, so to speak, and I just thought I'd introduce myself. I started writing seriously last year. I've always had a knack for making up stories and I always loved to read. So, it was just natural that I would want to record them down. I don't think my parents think I'm serious about writing yet, but I'm fairly sure that is what I want to do with my life. Well, anyway, enough about me. *Hums* I really hope someone joins this group...

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Feb 24, 2008 07:38PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Hello, my name is Ashley and I live Walnut Creek, California. I am 21 years old and currently in college to become a teacher. I LOVE to read. I currently have one published book and it is called "My Written Thoughts". I plan on getting a rough draft mauscript of my very first novel done sometime this year. However it is hard to do that when I've got homework and papers to write for classes. Anyways, hope to get to know everyone that is in this group and who joins this group.

message 3: by Mary-Celeste (new)

Mary-Celeste | 4 comments Mod
Hey there, Krostern! This is a cool site. It reminds me of the bookshelf application on Facebook, except on an enormous scale! :) It's way cool. Kudos for finding it.

Anyway, about me? I'm 18, living in Utah (right near Krostern) and I've written about ... a novel and a half. I haven't gotten either published, but I have a dummy printed and am in the "criticism" stage. Then I'll tear it apart and make it up new before I try to find an agent. It's great to be here! oh, and hello, Ashley.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) wow, i'm feeling a tad ancient here! no, actually, really ancient! anyhoo, i'm not exactly a beginning author ~ i've been writing since i was about 11 or 12 years old, over 20 years now! (yikes!) i'm not published, so i'm a beginner in that sense!

i live in nj, on the coast, with my husband and i'm currently a stay at home wife (not mom!) due to health troubles! feel free to take a look at my goodreads profile to find out more if you're interested!!!

message 5: by Kristen (new)

It's really cool to meet you all. I really hope this group will help everyone who joins. I was a member of a really cool writing support website, Absynthe Muse, before the hosting costs got too high and the moderator shut it down. I just really like knowing that there are other people who see the world through a page. So, I'd like to post a short story that I'm considering submitting to a magazine. Would all be so kind in ripping it apart for me? (Mary, rip the grammar apart. I know you're good at that! :) )

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone.

message 7: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda (adnaloy) | 4 comments hi! i'm up there with jo in the ancient department. i'm (gasp!) 30. no novel written, currently just a blog. debating on what to write about... truth? fiction? me? someone else?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiction is fun. :D =D =D =D gosh I'm hyper. lol. :D.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) 30?! now i feel really old here! :)

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Hi! I also live in Utah and I am a budding author (8th grade) hoping to get some props in the future. I just have underdeveloped books right now that will get developed! I promise! What I think is interesting, though, is when I was really little like 5 or 6 I thought that being an author was the most boring thing in the world. That is hardly my thought now!

message 11: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 1 comments Hello Kristen,I am probably the oldest member 50 this year omg... anyway I am going to try my hand at writing this year,I always wanted to write and have always felt I have a book in me somewhere lol and I just love to read.well heres a little info on me,i,m married 32yrs and have 5 children and 1 grandchild, I live in northern ireland,kids all grown up or growing so some time on my hands for 1st time in a long time ha ha anyway thats enough for now,looking forward to hearing from every1 soon.

message 12: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I guess I'm on the bottom end of the scale. I'm only thirteen. But I do have some writing that I hope to publish in the near future. Oh, and I'm Kenzie!

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Hi. I'm Brigid. I'm fifteen. I have written one book--after tons of failures--and am currently working on another one. I just joined this group, so hi everyone! If someone would read some of my writing on this site I would really appreciate your feedback. My stories are called "Destiny" and "The Chosen One".

message 14: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Hi, I'm Sella. I'm almost fourteen (*cough, cough*- I turn fourteen in a few months) Right now, I am working on writing a fantasy novel, Tulip's Cozy Tea. The first chapter of the book is on this site. Like Brigid, I would like some feedback. My dream is to publish a book young.

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yah. sella's a really good writer. and so is kenzie. and kristen too. i've read their writing and it's really good so read it if you haven't! :)

message 16: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Thanks!

message 17: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Wow! I didn't realize that so many people would enjoy my writing. I can hardly get anyone to read it in my family. I finally got a copy of a book to my dad. He hasn't finished yet. Every time I read to my sister she tells me to be quiet.

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah. i can totally relate to you, kenzie. it isn't that my parents don't support my writing, but when i ask them to read it, they're like, "uh...i'll get to it eventually." I finally finished editing my first novel last september, and almost no one has read it--only my nine-year-old sister, and my grandpa. haha.

message 19: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie My grandparents and my aunt are the first people to read my entire first book. They're helping me edit.

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ that's cool. i should probably get my mom to help me edit my book, since she used to be an editor or something...she really helps me with my essays for school and stuff...but she's always really busy, 'cause i have five younger siblings--one of which was just born a week ago. :)

message 21: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I'm exactly the opposite. My mom think's I'm some kind of protegy or something. It's frustrating, because she always thinks I can do better than anyone else! I wish she could understand that I'm not perfect!

message 22: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie My parents are like yours Brigid, they don't have the time. And my mother expects a lot out of me to, Sella, it's like I always have to do better than anyone else. If my siblings get A's it's, 'great job, so proud of you.' If I do I get, 'nice.'

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ wow. well, my parents don't really expect that much from me--i mean, it's not like they think i'm a failure, since i'm a pretty good student and everything. they're proud of me, but i don't really get rewarded or praised that much for getting good grades. i don't even talk about grades that much with my parents. they just kind of expect me to do a good job and handle any of my own problems. my parents are proud of my achievements, of course, they just have so many children that i guess they don't have time to pay attention to us individually as much, you know?

message 24: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Well, maybe my parents are more like yours Brigid, but I just wish that when I did well it wasn't like it was expected of me, you know? When I do well I feel great, but when I get home and let them know, they don't seem to care - or at least outwardly express that care - that I did well. I'm tired of having my siblings always take first priority for my parents. I mean, I am older so I've had them longer, but I don't really feel like I belong sometimes. It's really sad. They do have four other children besides me, but I'm usually reading or writing, and they can't relate to that. It makes me feel like an outsider. I don't know where I get my love of books from, my mom LIKES to read, but she doesn't do it often. And my dad doesn't normally read because he's busy, or the thing he's reading doesn't hold his attention. I just wish that I could share my love of books with someone. I don't have anyone, so I don't always get along with my family, 'cause when I want to read, they want to watch a family movie. It's just hard.

message 25: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ well, kenzie, you have us goodreads pals, right? :) lol. i mean, you don't actually know me, but i sympathize for you. i know what you mean: whenever i start talking about my writing, my sisters are like, "shut up!" they don't care at all. and when i talk about it with my parents, they're patient about it, but they're probably not as enthusiastic about it as I am. that's why i like this site so much... i feel like the other people here understand what it's like to be unappreciated writers. But someday, we'll all get our chance to shine. Someday, we'll all be published authors with best-selling books. :) Besides, I'm sure that your parents are really proud of you (if they've read your writing they should be; it's fantastic) and maybe they just don't show it as much. But I, for one, think you are a really good writer and I know that you'll go far someday. :)

message 26: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I really relate to you guys on here. When one is an aspiring author it helps to get support from others who have either gone down that path, or are going down it themself. I'm sure you're right about everyone getting their day to shine, with writing like yours you will definitely go far. The only problem for people like us is getting our writing into a book. When it does get published it will most likely be taken more seriously. And thanks again for your support. :)

message 27: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin No problem, Kenzie. I feel the same way as both of you. My parents never seem to understand why I'm writing. I'll be working on a book, and they come up to me and ask, "What are you doing?" when I tell them I'm writing, they say, "What are you writing?" They don't seem to understand.

message 28: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie My aunt was over the other day and she asked what I was working on. At that time I had been working on my first-person narrative, so I explained the whole story to her. I love writing! It's so much freedom. You can put just about anything you want in your writing. I love making characters, with their own personalities and opinions...no one else seems to understand. It's such a rush to write. I just feel so...I don't know...free when I write. I wish more people understood this love between me and writing, and books. Writing is the only way to express myself...

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i actually kind of have trouble explaining my writing to people. when people ask me what my stories are about, i don't know how to explain them without making them sound stupid... or confusing. it's hard to explain your stories to people who don't write, you know? when you're talking to someone else who writes, you know that they have the same love of stories that you do, so it's easier to explain. for example, i have a friend who loves writing just as much as i do, and i find it easier to explain my ideas to her than to my own family.

message 30: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Same here! I'll have to think carefully about it before I can tell people about my writing without making it sound stupid or uninteresting. And I agree, the people it is best to tell about your writing is other writers, because they will understand.

message 31: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I always make my writing sound stupid when I try to explain it. I mean, how stupid does it sound when I say, "I'm writing a story about a guy who was brainwashed." or "I'm writing my story about a princess who runs away from home and knocks out a guard while doing it." It's awful. My ideas are so random that I can't do them justice talking about it.

message 32: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I try to make is sound interesting, at least, even if it's not. Like, "I'm writing a story about this girl who is a human but finds out she's an elf, and find out she's the daughter of the elven queen" doesn't sound so good, but maybe "I'm writing a story about an elven world" sounds a bit better.

message 33: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie You're right Sella. And that is a really good story you're writing. I read it and it's fantastic!

message 34: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Thanks! I'm actually quite proud of it. :)

message 35: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah sella, it's really good. :) i always make The Chosen One sound really stupid when i explain it to people, too. i'm always like, "um...you know, there are these gods and they give powers to people and stuff." Except one time, i gave this one girl this really long speech about it, where i talked about every single detail and then i kept leaving stuff out by accident and having to go back and explain it all over. and when i finished after like twenty minutes, she's like, "It sounds confusing." and i was like, "It isn't really. I'm just making it sound that way." lol. I think the simpler you keep your explanation the better your story sounds. that way you don't leave room for too much criticism. haha.

message 36: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah, also if you give too much away, then it's not fun to read!

message 37: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Reading's always fun. But it does take away from the story when you already know most of what's happened. BTW, I added a whole bunch of chapters to one of my stories. If you'd like to read it.

message 38: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin That's what I meant. Oh, cool! I'll read it! Yay!

message 39: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Let me know what you think. My writing is always open to criticism.

message 40: by Kris (new)

Kris Hey everybody!

My name is Kris and I live in Philadelphia, PA. I am 15 years old and have been writing for about 4 years. I wrote my first 'book' where I was 11 and I'm in the middle of writing about six different ones right now. I also have a few short stories posted on my profile, so check them out and let me know what you think!

message 41: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Hey, Kris. I tried to read some of your writing, but your profile is set to private. Do you think you can post a link?

message 42: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i just realized i never attached a link to my writing. haha. that would probably be useful to people. i have a few poems, and some excerpts from novels i'm working on. (i recommend the stories more than the poems, btw. lol)

http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/8...

message 43: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie At least you can write poetry Brigid, mine doesn't sound good, at all. Did I already post a link? Oh, well, here's one anyway:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/6...

message 44: by Cuinn (new)

Cuinn  (cuinnwolf) | 3 comments Hi, My name is Cuinn, I am temporarily living as an expatriate in Asia, but will so be moving back to my home in Utah. I can't wait to be back on US soil. I have loved reading since I was like 10, specifically science fiction and fantasy. I began a few years ago to develope a series of books. I mentioned to my friend what I was doing and we started writing a joint series. It is such a blast to write stories, sometimes I get in this writing mood and go for 5 hours straight. It is way fun and feels really productive to write so much. I hope to write as an author some time in my life, that will probably be after I retire. Until then I don't see why not to write on the side, it is loads of fun.

message 45: by Kristen (new)

Hey everybody. Can someone give me some feedback on the two stories I posted? (I don't mind if it's negative feedback, I just want some!)

message 46: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 1 comments Hello! I'm Dylan, I'm 16 years old and have a passion for writing. I've been writing for a long time, and just recently learned how to write a little more effectively. I wrote a story about a kid going back in time when I was 9 years old. It was more like a lenghy paragraph rather than a story. It was also poorly written, but everyone has to start somewhere right? I'd really like advise on writing to further my education on becoming a published author. Thanks for making this group! :D

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2009 09:53PM) (new)

Hi, my name is Adrienne and I live in West Linn, Oregon. I guess I'm pretty young here, because I'm thirteen, but I LOVE writing. I have a 9-year-old brother who gets bothered that I never spend time with him. My parents respect the fact that I love to write, and they support me. But when I'm on all the time, they don't really get it. They ask, "What are you writing?" and I go in this deep enthusiastic description of my writing, and they make an effort to look interested. oh well, i like writing, and that's all that matters, doesn't it?

message 48: by Laura (last edited Aug 09, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Laura | 5 comments Hey, y'all! I'm Raven and I just stumbled upon this group while I was looking at reviews of a book here on GR - I noticed this group on the side of the screen in the ads or whatever.

I've loved reading and writing for years, and I guess you could say I'm a beginning author since I never had anything published. I've written stuff for years but I actually got serious in 2008 (where I started a fantasy novel that turned out to be over four hundred pages long - and one that now needs so much editing I'd rather not think about it :D). I'm not sure if any of you have experienced this, but for me I can see stories in just about anything. One time I looked at a sunset and a story came to me. The other day I chatted to my friend on gmail (when they weren't online :) ) and a story was born. It's rather ridiculous how many stories I have that are unfinished (I've only gotten that one fantasy novel totally finished) but my dream is to one day be an author :)

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 5 comments Hiiiiiiii! I'm Sandy, and Raven just invited me to join this group. I'm also a beginning author, only I haven't written nearly as much as Raven :D

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily McIllwain (emcillwain) | 1 comments Hey Raven (and everyone else!):
Raven, I totally know what you mean. I find a story in everything. I have so many ideas, titles, characters, etc., that it's overwhelming at times. My problem lies in actually putting pen to paper. It's like if I don't start writing it that second, it is gone. Does anyone use voice recorders or something high tech for those instances when you need to get the idea out quickly?
Nice to meet you all!

« previous 1