Hard SF discussion

BotM News > Booklist for BotM Poll for August 2009

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Username, SF Techgod (new)

Username (usernameiv) | 56 comments Mod
hey, Richard, thanks for posting that here! Any ideas to promote the group here in Goodreads?

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard (mrredwood) | 123 comments I've been thinking about that. You may have noticed my post over at Yahoo on the differences.

The problem is that a complete switch would lose too much. Specifically, the "chat room" aspect over at Yahoo Groups would clutter up these forums terribly, and it is a fun and useful aspect to that group.

My recommendation: shift the BotM part over here. Put identical polls on Yahoo and GR, but set up the forum to encourage reviews and discussion on the books over here. Ideally over time the Yahoo portion will remain no more than a chat room, with anything substantive coming over here.

If you don't mind, I'll try tweaking the structure of the discussion forums a bit.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) ®i¢ha®∂ wrote: "My recommendation: shift the BotM part over here. Put identical polls on Yahoo and GR, but set up the forum to encourage reviews and discussion on the books over here. Ideally over time the Yahoo portion will remain no more than a chat room, with anything substantive coming over here."

I really like this idea! I think if there's even a bit more BotM discussion here, we'll hit the percolation threshold, and things will pick up.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (mrredwood) | 123 comments Yeah, I've been holding off on my Beggars review because I think it explores deeper concepts than the Yahoo Group would explore very well. I've still got to get my notes together, but I'll be happier to do so now.