New Adult Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
124 views
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Penny Reid *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LeAnn (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

We are so very excited to have the fabulous Penny Reid joining us for the next two weeks for a Q&A! She's the author of several amazing series such as Knitting In The City, Elements Of Chemistry, and her newest series the Winston Brothers.

Please ask Penny your questions in the comments below!


message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Willis hi Penny! what's the best thing being an author?


message 3: by Crystal (last edited Nov 29, 2015 04:44AM) (new)

Crystal  | 145 comments Hi Penny,

Did you ever think you'd become an author when you were younger?


message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (es1977) | 14 comments Hi Penny what Author gave you inspiration to become a writer ?


message 5: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (brennaleigh) | 62 comments How has your life changed the most since you published your books?


message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Malaveci (mmalavec) | 22 comments Hi Penny,

What is your favorite book?


message 7: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Wang | 4 comments Hi Penny! Who is the character you do identify most with? <3


message 8: by Betül (new)

Betül (gemiinii) | 135 comments What was the craziest/weirdest thing you had to research for your book?


message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 73 comments How is collaborating on a book easier or harder than writing solo?


message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 109 comments Hi Penny, what is your favourite genre of book to read and do you read more or less since becoming an author?


message 11: by Shanny (new)

Shanny B (shannyb) | 31 comments What what the hardest obstacle you faced on the path to becoming a published writer?


message 12: by Lauren-marie (new)

Lauren-marie Who is your all time favourite book boyfriend and why?


message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 25 comments What are your can't miss television shows?


message 14: by Penny (last edited Nov 29, 2015 06:44PM) (new)

Penny Reid (reidromance) | 106 comments Audrey wrote: "hi Penny! what's the best thing being an author?"
Hi Audrey, Best thing about being an author is talking and thinking about fictional people as though they are real without being branded as "crazy".

Crystal wrote: "Hi Penny, Did you ever think you'd become an author when you were younger?"
Hi Crystal, No. I thought people became authors like people become princesses and mermaids (i.e. it doesn't happen to real people).

Esther wrote: "Hi Penny what Author gave you inspiration to become a writer ?"
Hi Esther, GAH! So many. JK Rowling, David Sedaris, Jane Austen, Isaac Asimov, Neil Gaiman. Of these, David Sedaris in particular. His funny, odd, conversational style resonated with me.

Brenna wrote: "How has your life changed the most since you published your books?"
Hi Brenna, I didn't have a facebook account (or Twitter, or Instagram, etc.) prior to publishing my first book. I'd say submersion in social media (for me) has been the biggest change.

Maria wrote: "Hi Penny, What is your favorite book?"
Hi Maria, Favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen. As a 16 year old, it changed my life and taught me to live for myself and not for other peoples' expectations. Plus, that letter!! Amiright?

StregaAvis wrote: "Hi Penny! Who is the character you do identify most with? <3"
Hi StregaAvis, So far... Cletus.

Betul wrote: "What was the craziest/weirdest thing you had to research for your book?"
Hi Betul, Recently I had to research the auto ignite temperature for acetone. I'm pretty sure the FBI thinks I'm a terrorist.

Michelle wrote: "How is collaborating on a book easier or harder than writing solo?"
Hi Michelle, I'd say easier, but it depends on who your writing partner is. Writing with LH Cosway feels like taking a vacation. She is so tremendously awesome and fun and cool. We get on so well, it doesn't feel like work at all.

Louise wrote: "Hi Penny, what is your favourite genre of book to read and do you read more or less since becoming an author?"
Hi Louise, My favorite genre to read is high fantasy and I read A LOT less since becoming an author. A lot less. :-\

Lauren-marie wrote: "Who is your all time favourite book boyfriend and why?"
Hi Lauren-marie, Ohhhh... tough question. Favourite book boyfriend right now has to be either Viv from 'Painted Faces' or Philip Wyndham from 'Edenbrooke'.

Anne wrote: "What are your can't miss television shows?"
Hi Anne, We binge watch 'Game of Thrones' every summer. Other than that, I enjoy Jon Oliver's Last Week Tonight. Admittedly, I don't watch much TV. If I have the free time, I'm either writing or knitting.

Thanks everyone for your questions! <3


message 15: by Tara (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:02AM) (new)

Tara Hi Penny!

My favourite book is Beauty and the Mustache <3 I have a couple of questions about Drew :)

What exactly was the deal with the ex-fiancee? You have to love someone enough to propose right? Did he love her like he loves Ashley? It's always kind of niggled at me not knowing much about his past (as much as I love him :))

I also have a couple of questions about the poems. I keep reading them over and over trying to place when and where he wrote them. It seems that the "you are not here" poem was written after Ashley left (and was in Chicago) but his last entry "I need you to stay with me" (my favourite by the way) seems to be written on the actual day she left. They seem to be out of order and it's hard to understand. Is there any way you could help me figure out when and where they were written and what order? I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks so much for writing the book, it's my favourite one. Tied with Jane Austen's Persuasion and Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard.

X Tara


message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Megan | 1 comments Hey Penny!!
While reading "Elements of Chemistry" I couldn't get over how much the two main characters reminded me of Rory and Logan from "Gilmore Girls". I was wondering if they were an inspiration for you? If not, you should check them out!

Can't wait for "Happily Ever Ninja"!

Laura


message 17: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginasanders) | 25 comments Hi Penny!
Who inspires you the most?


Bookphenomena (Micky)  (bookphenomena) Hi Penny
Do you ever foresee doing anything else with the Elements of
Chemistry gang? I love these guys!
Micky


message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (missbeavis1966) Hmmmm...I have no idea what to ask you...all the questions so far have been great. Let's see...do you knit or crochet?


message 20: by Cami (new)

Cami (teothem) | 38 comments Hi Penny! I love your books! I want to ask you what inspired you to create such a character as Cletus? He's so special and I think his book will blow my mind!


message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Jacobo (spiderwebb28) | 12 comments Favorite holiday?


message 22: by Moon Love (new)

Moon Love (chanpreet) | 59 comments Hi Penny.

Your personalized signatures in books are wonderful and amazing. Many of your readers including me love having our books signed. Whose signed books would you go gaga for if they were on your shelves?


message 23: by Marine (new)

Marine | 18 comments Hi Penny,
Do you imagine planning a signing event in France?
Thanks !


message 24: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Hi :) Does music inspires you while writing?


message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) I absolutely love Fiona and Greg, and I have a bit of a book hangover after Ninja at First Sight. I want more! What happens after Greg's surprise at the end of NaFS? I'm assuming it's a yes, but how do they get through their upcoming trials? I know I'm being greedy, but in addition to their upcoming book, I want more Fiona & Greg college years!


message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen Warner | 17 comments Hi! What is your writing process? What does a 'day in the life of' look like for you?


Aleksandra Reads  | 48 comments If you could spend one day with one of your characters, who would you pick and why? :)


message 28: by Peggy (new)

Peggy M (peggymo) | 113 comments Hi Penny, I love your books :)
My question to you, I always wonder when two writers write a book together how they write this. Does one writer do the woman and the other one the man? How did you and L.H. Cosway do this? And whose idea was it to read a book together?

Thanks!!


message 29: by Penny (last edited Dec 02, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

Penny Reid (reidromance) | 106 comments Tara wrote: "Hi Penny! My favourite book is Beauty and the Mustache <3 I have a couple of questions about Drew :) What exactly was the deal with the ex-fiancee? You have to love someone enough to propose righ..."
Hi Tara, :-)
Regarding your questions for Beauty and the Mustache:
1) What exactly was the deal with the ex-fiancee? You have to love someone enough to propose right? Did he love her like he loves Ashley?
ANSWER: Looking back at my notes on Drew's character, he fell for the (social climber) girl when he was very young (19-ish). He was mostly ignored by his father, and after his sister's death, he longed to "nurture" someone (he's a nurturer for sure, needs to feel needed). Therefore, he became infatuated with this girl who he felt like he needed to rescue/save. Once they were engaged, she used him to grow closer to his father, seduce the man, then break things off with Drew. Drew's family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc.) pressured Drew to campaign for his father after the fact, which was the driving force behind Drew leaving Texas.
No, he didn't love this girl/his ex-fiance like he loves Ashley. She (the girl) gave him a purpose, one which he was seeking at the time. Falling for Ashley happened quite against his will. ;-)

2) It seems that the "you are not here" poem was written after Ashley left (and was in Chicago) but his last entry "I need you to stay with me" (my favourite by the way) seems to be written on the actual day she left.
ANSWER: They are in order from Drew's perspective. Have you ever written poetry? Thoughts/feelings don't necessarily flow in a chronological order. The last poem was written right before he threw the journal in the fire.
Poem 1 (I expect a man) Written the night he met her
Poem 2 (Fire burns blue and hot) Started/written the night of the raccoon attack while she slept (before she woke up)
Poem 3 (Deeply you cut) Quick note written after she tells him in the hallway that she wants to be "friends"
Poem 4 (The taste of helplessness) Quick note written after he watches her cry after her mother goes to sleep (deleted scene)
Poem 5 (Your lips move) Written just before the shed scene, when he was avoiding her; Drew would watch her read in the comfy chair while Bethany slept throughout Ashley's time in TN.
Poem 6 (You are my sugar) Written while Ashley slept, after they made love for the first time.
Poem 7 (Sheets) Written right after she left TN for Chicago
Poem 8 (Distance) Written the week after she left
Poem 9 (ee cummings) Written the week after she left
Poem 10 (Silence sounds like a scream) written 1 week after she left
Poem 11 (All color is absent) Written 1.5 weeks after she left, right before the trek in NC
Poem 12 (Indifference) Written on the trek in NC
Poem 13 (Stay with me) Written the night he threw the journal into the fire.

I hope this helps!! <3 Penny


message 30: by Penny (new)

Penny Reid (reidromance) | 106 comments ARGRAHHH!!! Goodreads just lost my big answer post. :-(
I'll be back tomorrow to re-answer all the other questions. Sorry. Gah.


message 31: by Aliana (new)

Aliana Milano (aliana_k_milano) | 18 comments Hi Penny!

Huge fan of your work! I was wondering if you ever feel frustrated with the way a book is turning out or with your characters? And do you ever feel it's hard to say goodbye to them and end a book?

Thank-you,

Aliana :)


message 32: by Tara (last edited Dec 02, 2015 01:38PM) (new)

Tara Thanks so much for your answers Penny ❤ you've been an absolute angel!


message 33: by Rem (new)

Rem | 1 comments I finished Ninja at First Sight a few days ago and I can't wait to get my hands on Hapily Ever Ninja. Is there any chance that it will be released early or is Jan 19 the definite release date?


message 34: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenak84) | 65 comments what were your thoughts and reactions on your fist book signing?


message 35: by Penny (last edited Dec 04, 2015 05:49PM) (new)

Penny Reid (reidromance) | 106 comments Laura wrote: "Hey Penny!! While reading "Elements of Chemistry" I couldn't get over how much the two main characters reminded me of Rory and Logan from "Gilmore Girls". I was wondering if they were an inspirati..."
Hi Laura, Actually, no. I’ve never seen the Gilmore Girls…! I guess I need to get on that :-D

Gina wrote: "Hi Penny! Who inspires you the most?"
Hi Laura, Real, every day, normal people. (And by normal, I mean weird; because everyone is weird). I enjoy exploiting the human condition for entertainment purposes.

Micky wrote: "Hi Penny Do you ever foresee doing anything else with the Elements of Chemistry gang? I love these guys! Micky"
Hi Micky, YES! Abram is next. I’m still marinating in his story…

Kimberly wrote: "Hmmmm...I have no idea what to ask you...all the questions so far have been great. Let's see...do you knit or crochet?"
Hi Kimberly, I am an equal opportunity yarn fondler. I knit and crochet.

Cami wrote: "Hi Penny! I love your books! I want to ask you what inspired you to create such a character as Cletus? He's so special and I think his book will blow my mind!"
Hi Cami, Woooo! So happy you like Cletus. He is basically my attempt to write a character with exaggerated “negative” personality traits when—taken all together—actually make him quite wonderful: surly, judgmental, impatient, sinister, indifferent, single minded, plotting. I can’t wait to write his story!!

Jenn wrote: "Favorite holiday?"
Hi Jenn, My favorite holiday is May the 4th (Star Wars day)

Chanpreet wrote: "Hi Penny. Your personalized signatures in books are wonderful and amazing. Many of your readers including me love having our books signed. Whose signed books would you go gaga for if they were on..."
Hi Chanpreet, I lost my shit when I met Amy Harmon a few years ago at Bookbash and grabbed a signed book from her. Owning my first signed LH Cosway book was a big moment as well.

Marine wrote: "Hi Penny, Do you imagine planning a signing event in France? Thanks !"
Hi Marine, I would love to! I’ll be in the UK and Ireland next year. It would be good to try to arrange something in tandem. Regardless, even if it’s not this year, I will likely make it to France sometime in the next 5 years.

Irma wrote: "Hi :) Does music inspires you while writing?"
Hi Irma, ABSOLUTELY! I have a Spotify playlist for all my books.

Theresa wrote: "I absolutely love Fiona and Greg, and I have a bit of a book hangover after Ninja at First Sight. I want more! What happens after Greg's surprise at the end of NaFS? I'm assuming it's a yes, but ho..."
Hi Theresa, All will be revealed in ‘Happily Ever Ninja’ but perhaps not in the way you’re expecting… :-)

Jen wrote: "Hi! What is your writing process? What does a 'day in the life of' look like for you?"
Hi Jen, This is basically my creative process…. O.o


Aleksandra wrote: "If you could spend one day with one of your characters, who would you pick and why? :)"
Hi Aleksandra, If it were just one day, then definitely Drew. I would love to go on a hike, hang out in the woods, debate poetry and philosophy. But I think more than one day with him would be more energy than I can spare. But if I could bring one of my characters to life forever, it would definitely be Fiona. She is such a badass. I want her to be my best friend.

Peggy wrote: "Hi Penny, I love your books :)My question to you, I always wonder when two writers write a book together how they write this. Does one writer do the woman and the other one the man? How did you an..."
Hi Peggy, Initially, LH wrote Ronan and I wrote Annie. So, I would write a chapter then send it to her; she would edit my chapter then add another chapter and send it back. In the end it truly was a collaboration as we’d edited/re-written so much of the book/ each other’s chapters. I LOVE WRITING WITH LH COSWAY!!!


message 36: by Moon Love (new)

Moon Love (chanpreet) | 59 comments Penny what authors did you enjoy reading growing up? I know you started writing romance on a dare, but before then what did you like to read? Do you covet signed books like the rest of us? Whose book would you love to have signed that you don't already have?


message 37: by Penny (new)

Penny Reid (reidromance) | 106 comments Aliana wrote: "Hi Penny! Huge fan of your work! I was wondering if you ever feel frustrated with the way a book is turning out or with your characters? And do you ever feel it's hard to say goodbye to them and e..."
Dear Aliana, Re: frustrated with characters -- Yes! Absolutely. Something I’ve learned how to do (I’m still not quite proficient yet) is not force a character to do something for the sake of the story. Whenever I try to strong arm a character into uncharacteristic behavior, I find he/she rebels and makes every keystroke painful for me until I correct my error.
Re: Not wanting to let my characters go – all the time. I still think about writing a prequel for Nico and Elizabeth, when they were in high school. A real tear jerker as they watch Garret succumb to cancer, then turn to each other. I’ll probably have to do it someday…

Rem wrote: "I finished Ninja at First Sight a few days ago and I can't wait to get my hands on Hapily Ever Ninja. Is there any chance that it will be released early or is Jan 19 the definite release date?"
Hi Rem! I’m afraid there is no way I can release Happily Ever Ninja early. :-( I’ll be cutting it close as it is!

Elena wrote: "what were your thoughts and reactions on your fist book signing?"
Hi Elena, I was… a jumble of thoughts. I didn’t want to let down my readers by being too quiet or talking too much. I was excited to speak with people about my book characters because I am a voracious consumer of thoughts about my characters. In the end it was a great experience and made me realize how essential it is to put myself “out there” and be available to my readers.

Chanpreet wrote: "Penny what authors did you enjoy reading growing up? I know you started writing romance on a dare, but before then what did you like to read? Do you covet signed books like the rest of us? Whose bo..."
Hey Chanpreet, Ah! I see. Sorry I answered the wrong question before!
I grew up reading Dr. Seuss, CS Lewis, Harper Lee, Jane Austen, JRR Tolkien, and Jules Verne. In my teen years I devoured everything by Tolstoy, Isaac Asimov, Dumas, George Eliot, O Henry, Somerset Maugham, and the poetry of Keats, Byron, W. B. Yeats, T.S. Elliot, Frost, and e.e. cummings. A signed copy by any of these authors would be tremendously awesome… but unlikely. :-)


message 38: by Aliana (new)

Aliana Milano (aliana_k_milano) | 18 comments Penny wrote: "Aliana wrote: "Hi Penny! Huge fan of your work! I was wondering if you ever feel frustrated with the way a book is turning out or with your characters? And do you ever feel it's hard to say goodbye..."

Thank-you so much for answering! Looking forward to the prequel! :) <3


message 39: by Peggy (new)

Peggy M (peggymo) | 113 comments Thanks for your answer! :)


message 40: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why? :)


message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi Penny,

I love all of your novels but Love Hacked is my absolute favourite. Have you ever thought of writing more of Sandra and Alex's story?

Also, do you enjoy writing the male perspective? Getting inside Duane's head in the Truth or Beard, as well as the epilogues in each of the KitC books, was brilliant. Would you ever consider doing longer stories for the KitC boys?

Finally, and on a slightly unrelated note, how excited are you for the new Star Wars movie?


message 42: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 120 comments Hello Penny!

If you're going to collaborate with another author, who will it be and why?


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.