Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Book Queries & Answers...Maybe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Can't remember the title or author of a certain book? Wonder if a book has more than one cover or a different edition? Aren't sure about a historic term or phrase in a book? Or...any question related to Austen's books and those inspired by her or her books. Challengers feel free to offer up questions and field each other's answers.

message 2: by Therasa (new)

Therasa | 5 comments New to Jane Austen fandom, but not fandoms in general - can you describe the difference between the terms JAFF and Austenesque?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) | 57 comments I think of JAFF as involving her characters, settings and books directly and by name. They are written by authors who want to explore unanswered questions or certain characters, etc.
Austenesque books take place around the same time period and will contain similar elements: romance, family and social issues, class relations, friendships. They can be written by Austen's contemporaries or current authors. They are in a similar style/spirit with Austen's works.

message 4: by Sophia (new)

That is a good answer, Amanda. Thanks! I never thought it it that way, but your answer gives me another possibility that hadn't occurred to me.

I honestly have never seen a comprehensive, definitive answer. In my mind, the difference was always was it published or unpublished with JAFF being the unpublished stories like what are written for sites like The Meryton Assembly or Republic of Pemberley while Austenesque were stories that are published and for sale. I've seen it be both.

Good question, Therasa. Maybe others will weigh in on it, too.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) So many possible interpretations! I always thought of Austenesque as being fiction that makes an effort to provide an experience similar to that of reading Jane Austen, and Jane Austen Fan Fiction as being less of an homage, using JA as more of a jumping-off point. Basically the opposite of Amanda’s answer! We’re not being very helpful, Therasa, are we? Perhaps the terms can be used interchangeably!

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Super question! After reading the other answers, I can honestly say that I don't really know. Ha ha ha. I think I am now overthinking it. I was never sure what the actual difference, if any, was. When I think of fan fiction, I usually think of unpublished works by fans, because that is how Harry Potter fan fiction is usually labeled on sites. But I have never come across the term Potteresque, and I don't think there is any other author besides Jane Austen who has inspired such a legion of spinoffs and inspired works. Whatever they are correctly called, I am glad they exist!

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 14 comments I always thought of JAFF as stories (whether published or not) directly containing Austen's characters, where as Austenesque were more adaptations of her work that both change the setting, time period and names. That being said, I'm not sure which books containing Austen as a character fall into.

Fanfiction does tend to make one think of unpublished work in general, but I think, for me, this might be due to the enormous amount of HP fanfic out there. (I know this is contrary to the definition I just gave, but...)

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Love seeing Therasa's question get so many perspectives. I appreciate everyone for chiming in with an opinion. Obviously, its a nice discussion question with no easy answer. Good one, Therasa! :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) | 57 comments I think the best thing we can say is that there is a lot of crossover between JAFF and Austenesque writings. In the end, we all want to enjoy what we read, so if what you read is determined by how you think of Austenesque writing, then go for it!

message 10: by Therasa (new)

Therasa | 5 comments Thank you all for your responses! I have read each one and am relieved that it is not so clear. I noted, while reading different responses and lists, that I did not understand the difference or that my understanding was different from others. But, it sounds like they are amorphous terms that many do not quibble over. We are much too interested in reading the works to worry about it overly much. I thought of them along similar lines as Amanda and Chelsea, although I never considered their publishing status. I didn't want to be using the terms incorrectly in a review or recommendation. Thanks again.

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments goodreads question. how come when I updated my reading progress for a book it went from 29% to 28% after reading ten more pages?

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Now, that is odd, Trish! Was GR acting slow or oddly about that time? I notice things act up when they are tweaking something internally in their system. Hopefully, it will fix itself. Any better yet?

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) It can also depend on the edition of the book, especially with classics that come in many different editions. If you changed from one cover icon to another, you might have changed from an edition with a lower page count to one with a higher page count, the percentage could go down.

message 14: by Patricia (last edited Jan 18, 2016 10:04PM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Abigail wrote: "It can also depend on the edition of the book, especially with classics that come in many different editions. If you changed from one cover icon to another, you might have changed from an edition w..."
didnt think about that Thank you so much!

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments anyone know where I can read The Jane Austen Code? not available as regular book or kindle and thought it was being released this year? so disappointed was looking forward to this!

message 16: by Sophia (new)

You'll probably have to put a 'watch' on it at Amazon, eBay, and other places like Alibris. Looks like it's out of print. If you just want to read it and not own it, maybe you can see if it is available through inter-library loan to your library.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments never heard of alibis before. what is it?

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments goodreads question. I have Jane by the sea counting towards my reading challenge two Times. how did that happen? anything I can do to change it?

message 19: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Trish, I have The Jane Austen Code on Kindle, am trying to see if I can loan it. But it doesn't look like I can. I'm sorry.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Trish wrote: "goodreads question. I have Jane by the sea counting towards my reading challenge two Times. how did that happen? anything I can do to change it?"

You'll have to go to the list they are on and off to the right click the 'x' to delete or you can go up to 'My Books' and the hit 'batch edit' on that page and inside 'batch edit' you can search for all duplicates and deal with it and any others you have that aren't on purpose that way.

Usually you get a duplicate when you have more than one format for a book (like a paperback and an ebook) on your list.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Thank you both so much!

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Oh, and Alibris is a store- several indie bookstores working together. They carry lots of books and many are the harder to find ones.

message 23: by Lenora (new)

Lenora Robinson | 173 comments I know that these books aren't jane austons but if anyone is looking for a good murder mystery l have 2 by same authur J. Michael Weihrauch. They are misdirected, an ann thesbon novel and destinations an ann thesbon novel. Both are good and surprizing. The authur is married to my cousin and did not start writing till he retired from work. He iz currantly writing the third installment. I don't thi k you will be disappointed.

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Thanks for sharing about them, Lenora. I love mysteries.

message 25: by Nicole Marie (new)

Nicole Marie (bartonsasser) | 134 comments Okay. Found this question posted on Listopia and would like to help the girl out...

"HELP! I have been searching everywhere for a P&P variation where Caroline Bingley kidnaps Elizabeth, but ends up getting caught and put into an asylum where she has to look at the coach she used to kidnap Elizabeth. Lousia was involved also by using Wickham to lure Elizabeth. Wickham loves Lydia in this version, and the only reason he helps is because Lydia has been kidnapped, but instead of harming Elizabeth he goes straight to Darcy to help save both sisters. Please! If anyone has read this and knows what it is called please reply. I have read so many variations that I am afraid that I might be describing two different books! I am going on my third week of searching all sites I can. I read it on Amazon originally and now it is no where to be found! Thank you to anyone who knows what I am looking for!"

Anyone recognize this plot???

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Sorry Nicole. I've no idea of what that story could be.

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 277 comments Never heard of it Nicole. Sorry. Doesn't ring any bells at all.

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Nicole wrote: "Okay. Found this question posted on Listopia and would like to help the girl out...

"HELP! I have been searching everywhere for a P&P variation where Caroline Bingley kidnaps Elizabeth, but ends ..."

I've read about 700 different pieces of JAFF, mostly based on P&P, and I don't recognize this storyline at all. Sorry I can't help either.

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Wow! That does sound really different, but no, don't know it.

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Would definitely be memorable, but I haven’t read it either.

message 31: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments No. Sorry Nicole.

message 32: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 176 comments That sounds like such a train wreck...and yet I'm kind of intrigued. Heh.

message 33: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicap) | 14 comments I asked on A Happy Assembly about that "looking for a story" question. They're usually pretty amazing at finding answers.

I remember in Diana Oaks's One Thread Pulled, Caroline is pretty deranged and is sent to someplace on the Isle of Wight but I can't recall if it was an actual asylum.

message 34: by Don (new)

Don Jacobson | 30 comments Monica wrote: "I asked on A Happy Assembly about that "looking for a story" question. They're usually pretty amazing at finding answers.

I remember in Diana Oaks's One Thread Pulled, Caroline is pretty deranged..."

Not sure if that is the correct book. I read it. Think there was the thread that Elizabeth was royalty and had been adopted by Thomas Bennet. The penalty for the kidnapping was exile to an Island for all of the plotters.

message 35: by Lenora (new)

Lenora Robinson | 173 comments Nicole wrote: "Okay. Found this question posted on Listopia and would like to help the girl out...

"HELP! I have been searching everywhere for a P&P variation where Caroline Bingley kidnaps Elizabeth, but ends ..."

I believe the story is miss bingley's revenge by wendy solomon sorry it took so long to send this i just spent a month in rehab and no internet

message 36: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Hope you're feeling better Lenora!!

message 37: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Nicole wrote: "Okay. Found this question posted on Listopia and would like to help the girl out...

Okay Nicole, I posted the question about the story that someone is looking for on http://www.jaffrecs.com, and saw they posted the question on FB. Someone on FB said it was Disguise of Any Form by Denise Adams. She said it remembered it because of the carriage angle. I hope this helps you.

message 38: by Lenora (new)

Lenora Robinson | 173 comments thank you I am slowly getting better

message 39: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments I've recently re-read The Watsons and, as always, was just getting into the story (again) when it ended. Currently I'm reading Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal and really enjoying it. It's been on my TBR pile of physical books since not long after it was published and I'm really kicking myself for not reading it earlier.

My first question is: what other continuations of The Watsons can anyone in the group recommend?

My current audiobook listen is Sanditon and I expect to finish it on my next commute. I intend to get a copy of Ann Mychal's Brinshore very soon.

My second question is: what other Sanidtion inspired/continuations can you also recommend?

message 40: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I wish I could recommend either a Watsons completion or a Sanditon one, but none of them has ever satisfied me. The Ann Mychal one departs from the tradition of what the ending was supposed to be, but for interesting reasons so I didn’t blame her for that.

The first Watsons completion I ever read was the John Coates one; it was reissued in a nice hardcover edition just as I was shopping around my own (as yet unfinished) version! So I abandoned the project and never returned to it. It has been so many decades since I read the Coates that I can’t remember it, but at the time I thought it was not too bad. Don’t trust my judgment, though, after 40 years.

message 41: by Kirk (last edited Jul 25, 2016 11:19PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments As I've ranted before....please don't....ever....read....Joan Aiken's completion of The Watsons!! She does something that should NEVER EVER occur in a completion/adaption!!!! I picture Jane Austen wanting "a word" with her in the great "beyond"...and not a happy one.

On a brighter note, I loved Emma and Elizabeth and hope to get around to Brinshore soon too.

Also, I enjoyed this Sanditon completion https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
I'm also very happy to say that some of my favorite JAFFers liked it too(Ceri, Meredith, Sophia etc)!

message 42: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Abigail wrote: "I wish I could recommend either a Watsons completion or a Sanditon one, but none of them has ever satisfied me. The Ann Mychal one departs from the tradition of what the ending was supposed to be, ..."

Thanks Abigail. Yes, I realise that Ann Mychal's expansion and completion of The Watson veers quite a bit from what Jane Austen is supposed to have intended but I'm finding it an enjoyable read nonetheless.

I've come across the John Coates completion and may have a look at that later. It still looks quite short though, according to the page count in Amazon.

message 43: by Anji (last edited Jul 26, 2016 01:23AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Kirk wrote: "As I've ranted before....please don't....ever....read....Joan Aiken's completion of The Watsons!! She does something that should NEVER EVER occur in a completion/adaption!!!! I picture Jane Austen ..."

Oo, Kirk, I guess you don't like the Joan Aiken book! I haven't come across it in my research yet so I'll make sure to take care if I ever do.

I've nearly finished Emma and Elizabeth and still really enjoying it. I can see where the story is going to end up now. Brinshore is now at the top of my Wish List for new purchases.

That completion of Sanditon looks very promising. If Ceri, Meredith and Sophia think very highly of it (I've just looked up their ratings) then it must be pretty good. I think it's in a tie for first place on my Wish List!

Thanks for the info.

message 44: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 277 comments Loved Ann Mychal's books. Very well done.

message 45: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments has anyone else read w.e. Dashwood
s books? according to Mr. Knightley's Secret (The Men of Jane Austen, #2) by W.E. Dashwood she has 3 other books that's released in October, but I am not finding them. - mr. tilney's choice, colonel Brandon's sacrifice and captain wentworth faithfulness

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Hey, Tricia.

My guess is there is a delayed release on these others. There was a new release in October from the Men of Austen series with Darcy and Lizzy instead.

message 47: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Patricia wrote: "has anyone else read w.e. Dashwood
s books? according to Mr. Knightley's Secret (The Men of Jane Austen, #2) by W.E. Dashwood she has 3 other books that's released in October, but I am not finding them. - mr. tilney's choi..."

I enjoyed the one's I've tried. Look forward to the Colonel Brandon one.

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I'm looking forward to captain Wentworth! ☺

message 49: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 277 comments Just looked up W E Dashwood. Like the sound of Mr Knightley's secret. And as I just got lovely amazon vouchers for my birthday I think I'll be purchasing!!

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I enjoyed mr Knightley's secret Teresa.

« previous 1