This topic is about Swan Song
Swan Song by Robert McCammon > Chapters 14 through 33

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graydon (new)

Graydon Panzica (graydon-panzica) | 29 comments Mod

message 2: by Graydon (new)

I was a little bothered at first by the clumsy treatment of Sister's mental instability--it's not exactly something you just snap out of like that, is it? But I'm sensing a lot of moral/religious themes, and I'm wondering if Sister's miraculous healing might be some sort of divine intervention.

As soon as the man in the theater stole Sister's crucifix and set it aflame with his palm, I wondered if he might represent the Devil, and later when, while reading Swan's cards, Leona flipped over the card of The Devil, a man with a scarlet eye set in his forehead, that belief was solidified in my mind. After all, the man with the flaming hand did, in fact, sprout an eye somewhere in his forehead on at least one occasion.

There's also the matter of the card swan flipped depicting a beautiful woman surrounded in plant-life, with a lion and a lamb asleep at her feet and a crown of stars atop her head. This card is wrought with Biblical imagery. The lion and the lamb is one of the most famous images from the Bible, in which the lion and the lamb lay down together in peace--or, as Twilight so inaccurately suggests, one falls in love with the other. The original Bible passage, however, is discussing a time of peace on Earth, an end of war, and as Leona says during her reading, peace is one thing Swan desires most. Revelation 12:1 mentions the star-crowned figure: "A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head." This Bible scene alludes to war with Satan, and God's "promise of dominion" ( http://www.discoverrevelation.com/Rev... )and, as I read it in Swan Song, alludes to Swan's future leading the human race to overcoming and conquering the Devil that's destroyed their world.

I also wondered, on a slightly less in-depth note, whether the hope-inducing crown of glass and gemstones that Sister found in the gutted remains of her "magic place" might have been the remnants of the angel sculpture she'd always found solace in before. The glass crown being part of an angel would bring back the religious theme, and also perhaps explain why the glass crown seems to be trying to lead Sister (the Sister, a nun?) to Swan, an angel guiding everyone together.

I've also been stuck on the fact that, back in the gymnasium, Roland murdered his own father, and possibly his mother as well. I was shocked at the idea, but the only Biblical reference I could think of was Cane and Abel--brother killing brother. So I did my research and found Mark 13:12: "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death." I'm also anticipating Roland killing Macklin, his new father-figure, a reiteration, I suspect, of this verse.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing. Thoughts?

And on a non-Biblical-theory note: Roland a sociopath?

message 3: by Graydon (new)

Also, I apologize for the essay-ish-ness.

message 4: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 25 comments No apologies needed.☺

I dont know if I'd call Sister's healing miraculous or not (mental or physical?) I think that her mentall illness is something she'll always deal with, on some level or another. We're not always in her head, so I'm sure there are times through the novel that she struggles; we might not see it, is all. I love that you brought up the recurring moral/religious theme. You see it more and more, especially later when the mark of Caine and Job's mask become very real and common instances.

I have a theory on the "mark," which can also, I beieve, be found in the book of Revelations.

Jules, I don't think you're over-analyzing at all. In fact, Swan Song seems to be layered with Biblical references/themes.

I never thought of the glass ring coming from the angel statue and, in turn, alluding to Swan being an anglic force to unite her people, but she is mighty powerful (view spoiler) She is awesome!!

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 25 comments Julanne wrote: "I was a little bothered at first by the clumsy treatment of Sister's mental instability--it's not exactly something you just snap out of like that, is it? But I'm sensing a lot of moral/religious t..."

And oh yes, Roland must be a sociopath, for sure!