Swan Song by Robert McCammon > Chapters 1 through 13

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graydon (new)

Graydon Panzica (graydon-panzica) | 29 comments Mod
So excited for this book ^^

message 2: by Graydon (new)

Wow, what a cast of characters! People you love, people you hate, others you're not yet entirely sure about (Roland, *cough, cough*).

I didn't expect it to be quite so violent/gruesome, and it's kind of making my skin crawl. I'm too squeamish. But I'm liking this story. It's really intense, and McCammon's writing is just so accessible, you know? I don't know about you, but I'm finding it so easy to read. Usually if I'm tired, I just can't read because the words just run together, but his writing is so easy to absorb.

I've been finding this story very disconcerting so far, though. It's really a scary book, especially given everything going on in the world today. We're on the brink of war, and I'm finding reading about a nuclear holocaust very disconcerting. It's ironic that we chose now to read this, ironic how prevalent McCammon's story is yet again. Swan Song was written during the Cold War, I believe, and was at that time an expression of the fear of that period. And now the world is full of violent attacks, and it seems war is coming once again.

What are you thinking of it so far, Greg? The characters, the story? The irony? The endless cycle humanity seems to find itself in: hate, peace, hate peace, hate, peace--when will the cycle end with hate?

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 25 comments I am so glad you're liking it, Jules! It's a very disconcerting story, but seeing as it is "an expression of fear" (great point, by the way,) I think this was definitely intentional. I'm also glad that you appreciate McCammon's writing. It flows almost seamlessly, doesn't it? Very accessible, indeed!

message 4: by Graydon (new)

Oh, that's right, you said you've read it, Dustin, right? It really is easy to read. I'm afraid I feel victim to the common mistake that, because it's such a thick book, it would be hard to get through, dense and incomprehensible. Not so. And I think a big part of that is how well he writes his characters. They're all so real, which most authors of books like this whom I've come across seem to have a hard time accomplishing.

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 25 comments Yes, I read it back in 2006 and it's been a favorite ever since. It really sticks with you. No, McCammon's prose is surprisingly simplistic and a breeze to get through. The pages fly by! Agreed, all of the characters possess a genuine realness and honesty about them that sadly, a lot of authors lack. I've read a couple of his other books, and the same goes for them. He's an incredibly gifted storyteller. I'm so glad you're enjoying it! You know what, I'm half tempted to join you guys.:)

message 6: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 25 comments Jules, Greg, how the heck are you guys? Long time no see, no?
Anyway, I found your comment above so compelling and it reminded me just how much I LOVE this book that I simply had to join you guys. I'm only seventy-one pages in, but I'll try my best to catch up. I am very much looking forward to discussing Swan Song in full!