The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

2016 Reading Group Challenges > Reading group challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments I am joining this group challenge this year. I do the 12 + 4 challenge in another group and I enjoy that because I spread it out over the year. I am making this specific. I am doing 12+ 2 in historical mysteries. I have picked books from medieval times, Elizabethan times, regency ti mes, Victorian and Edwardian times and the 1930's.

Though the heavens may fall by EV Thompson (Victorian).
The Doublet Affair by Fiona Buckley (Elizabethan).
The Shifting tide by Anne Perry (Victorian).
The cross legged knight by Candace Robb (Medieval).
Half a Mind to murder by paula paul. (Edwardian).
A Plague on both your houses by Susan Gregory (medieval).
A Trust betrayed by Candace Robb (medieval).
The Mangle street murder by MRC Kasasian (Victorian).
Murder on the Brighton Express by Edward Marston (Victorian).
A fair maid of Bohemia by Edward Marston (Elizabethan).
The Vagabond clown by Edward Marston ( Elizabethan).
Recipe for treason by Andrea Penrose (regency).

Alternates
The tale of holly how by Susan Wittig Albert (Edwardian).
An incomplete revenge by Jacqueline Winspear (1930's).

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5390 comments Mod
Good luck, Alison. I've only read the first Jacqueline Winspear and enjoyed it very much. I do lik Anne Perry as well and should get back to her. Enjoy.

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8555 comments Mod
Very nice!

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments finished my first choice with the heavens may fall by EV Thompson. it was a good story he is normally a historical writer so it was a much a historical as a detective story, still though it was no secret who the villains were there was the story of how they were bought to justice.

message 5: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5390 comments Mod
Congrats on getting that first one under your belt. Not an author I'm familiar with. I'll have to check him out.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) Nice challenge. I'm interested in how you get on with these books as I've not any of them and I'm also interested in history. Good luck!

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments I just finished the vagabond clown by Edward Marston. I always enjoy his Elizabethan theatre mysteries, the charactors are colourful especially the actor manager Lawrence Firethorn. the story ia about the company's theatre tour in the country after a riot occurs at the theatre. Their tour is beset by ambushes and accidents murder and kidnapping. the reason for all this was that the perpetrator was a catholic spy who took out his revenge on the company for their anti Catholic plays.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Great challenge, Alison! I haven't read any of those titles, looking forward to your thoughts. Vagabond Clown sounds interesting, going to check it out. Happy reading & good luck with your challenge!