♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Group Reads > Ready Player One

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Love love love (did I mention I love it?) this book! So creative and really makes you cheer for the main character.

message 3: by D (new)

D (d_thelarue) | 4 comments This is one of my favorites! I know it isn't the most literary book (as people will remind you on various online sites *coughcoughr/bookscough*... But I thought it was a fun journey filled with awesome action, cool characters I was cheering on, and it felt like another nerd was telling me a story.

Aech is probably my favorite character. I listened to the audiobook, read by Wil Wheaton, and it really enhanced my appreciation of this title.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) I read this back in 2012. Here's what I thought:

It took me longer than I expected to read this book. I thought that I'd read this book in a day because of how fun the plot was. But all of those 80s references kinda slowed me down. Maybe because I'm a 90s baby. But once it was all about the game, I really took to the story and enjoyed it a lot.

message 5: by Desirai (new)

Desirai | 3 comments D wrote: "This is one of my favorites! I know it isn't the most literary book (as people will remind you on various online sites *coughcoughr/bookscough*... But I thought it was a fun journey filled with awe..."

I just started getting into audio books. I wish I had been into them back when I read Ready Player One. I imagine Wil Wheaton's narration was great!

message 6: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Yay! Glad you all liked it as much as me! NEED the movie for this one :)

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mellowknee) OMG I freaking love this book. Oh and I started playing JOUST because of it too haha

message 8: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments LOL! I loved that I'd played some of the games before, but also that I learned about some new ones :) Joust is awesome!!

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 125 comments This is my favorite! Love this book.

I think the fact that I grew up in the 80's and knew all games and movies almost by heart just brought me back to a great time in my life. Plus the book is just amazing.

message 10: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) I didn't like this book all that much, which sucked because I really thought I would. It was just too much info and explaining but not much actually happening. I think if they made this into a movie where all that boring stuff was cut out I would like it a lot more.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Bell | 3 comments This was a great book! I read through it so quickly and was so entertained by it. It was the perfect combo of old school mixed with new school that really had you on your toes for the outcome.

message 12: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Well said, Ashley! I agree, it was PURE ENTERTAINMENT from start to finish. Can't wait for the movie!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin OMG! There is going to be a movie! I must live under a rock! I can't wait to see it :-)

message 14: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Yes! Last I heard I think it was supposed to come out in 2017. Fingers (and toes) crossed!