Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Phil's Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philina (last edited Apr 27, 2016 05:20AM) (new)

Philina | 1562 comments 12/12

1899 and earlier
1. Mansfield Park DONE
2. Heidi DONE
3. A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy DONE
1900-1999
4. The Hobbit DONE
5. Poirot Investigates DONE
6. The Reader DONE
My Wild Card Six
7. Fall of Giants DONE
8. Jurassic Park DONE
9. Whitethorn Woods DONE
10. Career of Evil DONE
11. Middlemarch DONE
12. Northanger Abbey

Alternates
A-1. Villette DONE
A-2. Cavalleria Rusticana

message 2: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I would really like to reread the Hobbit, since it´s years when I read it but LotR is probably my favorite book, which I read again and again.
I have 1, 2, 11 and 12 on my list too! And Reader I read this year and liked it.

message 3: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments I agree with Desertorum on The Hobbit. I read that as a child and would like to reread, as I love the LotR. And I also have Middlemarch on my list, it's a good thing that it's winning in the poll!

message 4: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I've actually never read the Hobbit.
As a child (around 7) I got an audio version of LoR for Christmas. My parents thought it was a classic, so it would benefit me, but I was far too young for it. Since it was a dramatized version I was even more afraid than with a normal audio book narration. My personal horrors were the black riders in the beginning and Gollum in the end. Yes, I actually made it through...
Ever since that day Tolkien was a no go area for me. Now, I think I'm old enough to face my childhood fears and tackle the whole thing. I thought starting with the Hobbit might make the whole process a little easier.

To be honest, Middlemarch is on my list BECAUSE it's winning the poll. Not that I don't want to read it; I nominated it for the poll. I also nominated the Hobbit. If they'd both win it would be amazing!

message 5: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Phil wrote: "To be honest, Middlemarch is on my list BECAUSE it's winning the poll. Not that I don't want to read it; I nominated it for the poll. I also nominated the Hobbit. If they'd both win it would be amazing! "

Yes, that's also the reason I put Middlemarch on my list. Thanks for nominating it!

message 6: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Desertorum wrote: "I have 1, 2, 11 and 12 on my list too!"

Regarding Northanger Abbey: the original one or the Austen Project one?
I've already read the original by Austen and on my list now is the Austen Project version by Val McDermid.

message 7: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Phil wrote: "Desertorum wrote: "I have 1, 2, 11 and 12 on my list too!"

Regarding Northanger Abbey: the original one or the Austen Project one?
I've already read the original by Austen and on my list now is th..."

The original one, I actually didn´t know about the other book. Sounds interesting! I look forward about your opinion about it :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Phil, I don't know if you know French, but Villette has long passages of dialog in French!

I don't know French at all, so I feel I missed a lot when I read it with another group.

message 9: by Teanka (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Phil, I don't know if you know French, but Villette has long passages of dialog in French!

I don't know French at all, so I feel I missed a lot when I read it with another group."

This sounds like a perfect book to read on a kindle or other e-reader with a dictionary, then!
EDIT: I mostly meant the translation feature :)

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4822 comments Mod
Phil you have put together a nice list. I agree with the other post, the Hobbit is a terrific story. Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey are also solid reads. I think I lean towards Mansfield as being a little better read. As for Fall of Giants, I thought it was great. I’m a big fan of Ken Follett’s books. Based on what I’ve seen on your other challenges wishing you luck is unnecessary, so I wish you enjoyment while reading all of your choices.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I still haven't read the Hobbit, though I'd like to.

I loved "Mansfield Park," though it is not a favorite with non-JA fanatics.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments "Middlemarch" is quite good too! I loved it.

message 13: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments About French:
THANK YOU for the info! I didn't know that.
Yes, I've studied the language for a bit and everyday dialog should be no problem. I wouldn't feel prepared to tackle a full classic in it, but I've read some Harry Potters and some crime stories in French.
However, I planned on "reading" Villette as an audio book. I hope the narrator has a good accent, otherwise it would be really difficult. I don't quite yet understand "massacred" French...

message 14: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments THANK YOU for the compliment, Bob (Is it supposed to be a compliment or do you think my list too easy for all the contemporary books?).
I'm listening to The Pillars of the Earth at the moment and totally fell in love with it. It's a book which satisfies me in a way most books do not (at least not after a Song of Ice and Fire). I've already bought A World Without End and will hopefully read that too this year, so next year I can start with the Century series.

message 15: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4822 comments Mod
Complement all the way, you read books that scare me.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9309 comments Mod
What a good variety of books.

message 17: by Desertorum (last edited Nov 27, 2015 09:44PM) (new)

Desertorum Pillars of the Earth and World without End were both great! So looking forward how they compare with Fall of Giants (aren´t they happening in different time periods?)

message 18: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Yes, I think so.
Pillars and World Without End take place in the Medieval times. The Century series starts around WWI I think, but I'm not sure.

message 19: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Then I'm relieved, Bob! ;)
But which books do I read that you're afraid of?
I'm myself rather afraid of Dostoyevsky and Virginia Woolf...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Century does start around WWI. I disliked that one but Pillar's is one of my favorite books. I have quite a few of his that I love and after reading Fall of Giants I was questioning my prior taste. I haven't had the courage to reread my favorites yet. I read Giants at a very slow pace (with a book group) and I think that made the flaws stand out a lot. If I had read it quickly I might have liked it more.

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Great list! You have a wonderful variety of choices. Jurassic Park and Career of Evil are both so much fun!

message 22: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Sarah wrote: "Century does start around WWI. I disliked that one but Pillar's is one of my favorite books. I have quite a few of his that I love and after reading Fall of Giants I was questioning my prior taste...."

Well, I hope I won't be disappointed then... I think I'll go through it quickly like I'm doing with Pillars right now. My first read is usually fast for the plot and then - if the book is worth it - I go back for a second or even third reread. One thing I did notice with Pillars, though. It's wonderful, but it's also quite predictable and follows the same pattern in a circular movement, so the concept is repeated only with a slightly different plot (Waleran and Hamleigh plan something sinister only to be outwitted by Philip in different varieties). Also, the end is crystal clear to me although I'm not finished reading the book...
That's a pity...otherwise it's a really good book.

message 23: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Nathan wrote: "Great list! You have a wonderful variety of choices. Jurassic Park and Career of Evil are both so much fun!"

Thank you, Nathan!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I haven't read Pillars in so many years!

message 25: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments 6/12 HALF TIME :-) !

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Phil wrote: "6/12 HALF TIME :-) !"

Wow, already! Good job Phil!

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9309 comments Mod
Excellent -- this will only take you two months at this rate! What will you do for the rest of the year?

message 28: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments THANK YOU, Emily and Kathy!

No, I don't think I'll be finished by March.
Most of those six books already read are part of my Bingo Challenge which is my first priority.

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4779 comments Mod
Wow, you are popping these off--and a number of them are pretty hefty. I'm tackling Middlemarch right now.

message 30: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Now I'm theoretically finished, but I do want to read the other two as well.

message 31: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Wow, Phil! Well done! You are soaring through these challenges :)

message 32: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4822 comments Mod
Congratulations, nice work!

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4779 comments Mod
Congrats!

message 34: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1844 comments Well Done!

prize for first 2016 O&N challenge to be completed!?

message 35: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Awesome job as usual Phil. Congratulations!!!

message 36: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments THANK YOU, guys!