Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > The Gunslinger (closed)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice (I-see-clowns) | 7 comments I started the original edition of The Gunslinger. I am going to read the series. I have liked knowing The Dark Tower was on my bookshelf waiting...But I can't put it off any longer.

message 2: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments I was sooooo happy I didn't start this series before it was finished. When I found out there was an 18 year spread from one book to another I was horrified. Especially considering it ended on a cliff hanger.

message 3: by Shane (new)

Shane (TheMrE) Being one of those who read them as they were written I recall how it felt when I was about to finish each book knowing there was not "next book" to read. I often envy those who didn't start until the whole series was read.

It was weird all those years... even though he wasn't necessarily finishing the series, he was writing new books, so when I would finish one, I could pick up his next regular novel, or maybe the Bachman books, and by the time I'd have finished those he'd have the next one in the series started. The big scare came when he had his accident and was hurt so bad... there was a scary time when it seemed he may not ever finish. But he did, an how!

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I have to admit.....I had to read book 1 twice, before I could move on. I think it was that you are jumping into a story that is already moving. I had a hell of a time figuring out what was happening at first! It was definitely worth the time, though! Loved them all!

message 5: by Thee_ron_clark (new)

Thee_ron_clark | 17 comments I really can't help but wonder what the series would have ended like if King would have written the entire series in a shorter span of time.

Also, I purchased and read The Gunslinger Born graphic novel thinking it was going to provide additional information on King's Dark Tower universe. It didn't for the most part. There were only a few small details added. They changed a few parts of the story up, but mainly just told Roland's story from Wizard and Glass. I was disappointed.

message 6: by Shane (new)

Shane (TheMrE) Ron_clark - try purchasing and reading the individual comics (seven of them) as they contain much more info than the "graphic novel" which is nothing more than the picture pages from the comics collected and hard-bound, but missing lots of material supplied by the author/artists. Robin Firth, who wrote them, gives great insight into the series.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 241 comments Thee Ron Clark said: "I really can't help but wonder what the series would have ended like if King would have written the entire series in a shorter span of time."

Or if he hadn't got hit by that trucker. Not only did it provide a plot point, but it brought King's perspective on mortality into a whole new light.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.