Goodreads Secret Santa discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Secret Santa > RULES/HOW THIS WORKS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mel (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Mel (thatgirlbookworm) | 472 comments Mod
So this is definitely going to be a "beta stage" for this, to see if it works and how it ends up going. So everything here is going to be a test and lets just hope it all works out and everyone is happy!

The way it'll work:

You will send me a private message with your address (I will NOT be sharing your address with anyone except the person who has you as a secret santa. I hope you all will be respective with each other's addresses. If you are uncomfortable giving your address I completely understand, but I cannot envision any other way for this to work without it (I know that sometimes when you order off a wishlist there ARE ways to keep your address hidden so if you have any sort of special requests in this just let me know. I don't know if book depository wishlists have it so you don't need an address, if you know please let me know!!)).
In that same message you will also send me a list of books that I can provide to the other person. You can either be very specific (ex: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman), a bit vague (ex: any book by Neil Gaiman) or just simply give a genre (ex: something not well known, a YA contemporary, etc.). Please try to send me around 5+ choices so that you don't know what book to expect.
ALSO: there will be a 20$ USA currency limit for everyone (obviously you can spend less if the book is less than that, but please don't pick books that cost more than that). If you are not from the USA, then when you are on the website you choose, shop in USA currency so you can see prices.
I MUST receive these messages by December 2nd at midnight EST (so midnight in New York) if you want to be entered

Either that night very late, or sometime on December 3rd, I will send you back a message telling you who you have, their list of books and any other information that is relevant.

This is the most important thing and where I'll be a little nitpicky: I would like EVERYONE to send me confirmation that you ordered the book by DECEMBER 7th (yes I know it's a time crunch but I want to make sure things get there in time). I have done various secret santa's in the past where people do not hold up their end of the bargain and I don't think that is fair in this case. If you don't send me picture confirmation (email: crimexscene@live.ca, tweet me: @thatgrlbookworm, or if you can attach it to a Goodreads message that works too) by midnight on the 7th, I'll have to remove you from the secret santa.
This means: if your secret santa is not sending a gift to someone, then you may have to cancel your order and order to someone else. I realize this may be a bit of a hassle but if everyone orders and sends confirmation then this shouldn't be an issue (prayer circle please)

Other random tidbits:

The person you get (so the person you are sending a book to) will not necessary be the person who gets you (so who sends you a book). It may happen that way, but it is not a guarantee.

You have the choice of adding a message in the gift with your goodreads username and a little note to reveal yourself, or you can reveal yourself AFTER you send the book. That I will leave up to you. But I do recommend that you don't add the person as a friend until you've already shipped the gift so they don't know you have them. I will do my best to make sure that you have similar tastes to the person who you have.

The most ideal website to shop on is http://bookdepository.com because they have FREE shipping on any amount to almost every country in the world. If you live in the same country as the person you get and you want to use amazon/another local website that is up to you but if you get someone in a different country than I would definitely suggest BD.

** This is a disclaimer: I am going to do my absolute best to make sure that everyone sends and receives a gift through this. However, there is ALWAYS the risk that someone (person A) is going to flake out. Again, I will do my absolute best to try to make sure that you end up getting something (by getting the person who had Person A to cancel their order and send to you instead). There may be the case that I do everything and something happens and you don't end up getting anything and before you sign up I just want this to be a risk you consider. Again, this will likely be the absolute worst case scenario but please consider this! **

message 2: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments Hi Mel,

This is awesome! I like that you've put a time limit on it and book depository is really good and have cheap books. Can't wait to get started :)

message 3: by val (new)

val (highlylogical) | 6 comments This looks exciting. Thank you for pulling this together. Does this also include reading paraphernalia such as bookmarks etc?

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Veras (melissaverasr) I'm in! :) We can start sending the message now?

message 5: by Mel (new)

Yes you can send messages as soon as you see this and decide you want to do it! Just make sure you're committed :)

And yes Val you can send any sort of thing you'd like :) I recommended books because that's something we all obviously have in common but anything can work out :)

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineheneghan) Woah this is actually the cutest idea!!!! Books+christmas

message 7: by nathalia (new)

nathalia borghi (anathaliaborghi) I'm in!! Super excited for this :D

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (bitemelovely) I'm in, love the idea of giving and also making more book friends etc :D

message 9: by Mel (new)

You can all invite your friends if you want by the way!

message 10: by TL (new)

TL  | 97 comments sounds like fun:)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* (karly-thevampireninja) I'm sure you said it but I am assuming that you will send us the address/actual name of the person we get, correct? (thus making the shipment get to the person more efficiently than if someone actually sends mine to, say, "Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*" - which while hilarious could be a complete disaster.)

message 12: by Mel (new)

Oh yes of course!!
when you message me I am going to have your name and address and I will pass on ALL the information to the person who has you!

I'm actually in the process of checking prices at the moment. I am making sure that the things you all asked for fit in the price range before I send it :)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* (karly-thevampireninja) I will get on sending out that message, Mel... I just need to think on books for a few minutes first. LOL

message 14: by Mel (new)

All is going well so far from everyone I've received from!
As long as everyone upholds the commitment and sends something, this will be a success :)

message 15: by TL (new)

TL  | 97 comments Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: I'm sure you said it but I am assuming that you will send us the address/actual name of the person we get, correct? (thus making the shipment get to the person more efficiently than if someone actually sends mine to, say, "Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*" - which while hilarious could be a complete disaster.)

I can imagine my family's reactions if my GR name showed up in a package... I would probably take a picture of it too:)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* (karly-thevampireninja) I have received one once, from a GRs friend, that was just address to "karly" which seemed kind of scary :/ (in as much as there are MANY karlys in the world)

message 17: by Satsuki (new)

Satsuki |皐月| (satsukimay) Sounds awesome Mel :D. I have to admit :X, I was a little hesitant on sharing my address, but GR is like my second family- so why not :D/ Can't wait to start!

Can we send the information now?

message 18: by Mel (new)

I have family who works for the postal service: you don't need a name on a package. You actually realistically only need an address and a postal code. The name is actually meant for you so you can determine which mail is yours and which is your family members. So if it's addressed just to Karly then you can assume it'll never get lost in the mail :)

message 19: by Mel (new)

Abeer you can it to me any time in a private message :)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* (karly-thevampireninja) Mel wrote: "I have family who works for the postal service: you don't need a name on a package. You actually realistically only need an address and a postal code. The name is actually meant for you so you can ..."

Hmmmmmm, well since I've had mail get lost and not show up for like a month I like to dot my i's and cross my t's ;)

message 21: by TL (new)

TL  | 97 comments Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "I have received one once, from a GRs friend, that was just address to "karly" which seemed kind of scary :/ (in as much as there are MANY karlys in the world)"

*big hugs*

message 22: by Spandan (new)

Spandan Hi Mel,Can I buy a book from a local store and send it via normal post?I have sent books through this process before to my friends abroad and it works.
Though,I will try with book depository.I just wanted to know if we can do it in any alternative way

message 23: by Mel (new)

You can Spandan. That's an option, as long as you can figure out some way to show me that you sent it.
I only suggest book depository because it's the cheapest option (at least for people who live in the UK/Canada/USA). I am not sure about India though!

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria Casey (maria_casey) | 9 comments I'm so in. I'll send the message now :D

message 25: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 4 comments I'm in ^_^

message 26: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 55 comments Messaged you, Mel!

message 27: by TL (new)

TL  | 97 comments Can we email/forward a copy of the book order ? Not sure how to take screenshots on my phone (If not, I'll ask my cousin to help me with it)

message 28: by Mel (new)

Yes you can forward the confirmation email to me, that probably works best :)

message 29: by TL (new)

TL  | 97 comments Mel wrote: "Yes you can forward the confirmation email to me, that probably works best :)"

okie dokie:)

message 30: by book.to.frame (new)

book.to.frame (booktoframe) I just wanted to let everyone in the states know about thriftbooks.com . Its free shipping after you spend $10 and you can get Like New books for super cheap! I love shopping this site for when I want to buy a lot of books on a small budget.

message 31: by book.to.frame (new)

book.to.frame (booktoframe) Idk how to link it directly, so if someone could do that for me, that would be great. Thank you.

message 32: by Mel (new)

I would LOVE to use Thriftbooks but the shipping is astronomical outside of the USA :(

http://www.thriftbooks.com/

and yes Cherish I should have mentioned that one!! There were many from overseas but I will have a better list of websites for next year! I embarked on this with only one day to plan ahah

message 33: by book.to.frame (new)

book.to.frame (booktoframe) I actually had to buy 2 books to reach the $10 limit!

message 34: by Mel (new)

I do not remember if your person is in the USA but if so you are lucky!

message 35: by Mel (new)

Update: 12 people still to send
2 are going to send a couple days late
2 are for sure tomorrow
1 I have to remove because she has not been active on Goodreads in over 2 years (thankfully she has not been shipped to so that's easy)
the rest just have not replied!!
Should be successful!!

message 37: by Mel (new)

yes!!
I am a little concerned about one person specifically and the ones who have yet to get back to me, but they are all connected somehow (lucked out) so there may not be many cancellations to be done if things mess up!

message 38: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments Is the rule that you have to wait until
Christmas to open the book? I want to send my secret Santa a letter but because I'm in Australia I'm not sure if they will get the letter before or at the same time as the book

message 39: by Mel (new)

It is not a rule! I recommended it because I think it makes it more exciting but the decision is up to you!!
Sofie because of your situation I think you can still send it! The post is actually much quicker and more efficient in the holiday season so it will get there I am sure on time!

message 40: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments Okay :) I shall send it today

message 41: by Mel (new)

What time is it currently where you live in AUS Sofie?

message 42: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments 9:12am wbu

message 43: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments On Monday the 7th

message 44: by Mel (new)

13 hours ahead wow!!
it's 8:13pm
I am hoping at that time I am done this stupid paper and everyone has messaged me the confirmation lol

message 45: by Sofie (new)

Sofie | 34 comments I wish you luck haha and I hope they have as well! I'm glad that most of us have made this successful im so excited to do it again next year :)

message 46: by Mel (new)

Thank you!!
haha yes next year I will have more time to sign up (and in advance) and less time for sending (so cancellations can for sure be made)

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) I use Bookoutlet a lot, the shipping isn't that bad! but I didn't see the books she wanted :(

message 48: by Mel (new)

I can't use bookoutlet becuase I don't believe in paying more for shipping than the book costs! lol

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) Mel wrote: "I can't use bookoutlet becuase I don't believe in paying more for shipping than the book costs! lol"

but when you have a code, discount and buy a lot of books it's great :) I've got 12 books for less than $50 last week.

message 50: by Mel (new)

I will use it ONE DAY haha
I just want to find a day when it's free shipping :P
I have some weird problem with paying shipping for some reason lol

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.