ACIM: Listen, Learn and Act discussion

Error and the Ego

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
The course states, "You have every reason to feel afraid as you perceive yourself. This is why you cannot escape from fear until you realize that you did not and could not create yourself."

Does this refer to create as in formation into a human body, or creating the person you are at the present?

Any thoughts?

message 2: by Ramon, Co Moderator (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Does this refer to create as in formation into a human body, or creating the person you are at the present?

A Course in Miracles states: "The ego is the questioning aspect of the post-separation self, which was made rather than created. It is capable of asking questions but not of perceiving meaningful answers, because these would involve knowledge and cannot be perceived. The mind is therefore confused, because only One-mindedness can be without confusion. A separated or divided mind must be confused. It is necessarily uncertain about what it is. It has to be in conflict because it is out of accord with itself. This makes its aspects strangers to each other, and this is the essence of the fear-prone condition, in which attack is always possible. You have every reason to feel afraid as you perceive yourself. This is why you cannot escape from fear until you realize that you did not and could not create yourself. You can never make your misperceptions true, and your creation is beyond your own error. That is why you must eventually choose to heal the separation." T-3.IV.3.

In the subsection - Principles of Miracles – we should have learned that - “Miracles honor you because you are lovable. They dispel illusions about yourself and perceive the light in you. They thus atone for your errors by freeing you from your nightmares. By releasing your mind from the imprisonment of your illusions, they restore your sanity.” A Course in Miracles T-1.I.33.

This world, including our bodies, is the world of perception. From the view of ACIM, this is a fact. Therefore, the body is not really real – it is created in our own mind. And because the body isn't really real, the body doesn't really feel anything. The idea – to feel – therefore, is also created in our own mind. We have created fear too. As long as we continue to believe that we are really the body and that we really feel whatever we believe that the body feels, then we have reason to fear. Fear is just another thought that we created in our own mind and we believe that fear is real only because we believe the body is real and that our body can feel.

So, “a human body, or creating the person you are at the present” as your question is stated, is confusing. The “human body” and “the person you are creating at the present” are both the same thing – thoughts created in our own mind. Time is not real either. So, “at the present” is a time stamp of “the person you are creating now.” Remember – God created us. Anything that doesn't conform to the realities of God the Creator, is a product of our illusions. Our illusions imprison us until we dispel those illusions.

message 3: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
Thank you Ramon for clarifying that. I actually just read what you cited above today. I also read, "...you are perfectly stable as God created you." Here the emphasis is that God, not I, was my creator.