Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > What books are you most excited about reading in 2016?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I'm looking forward to pretty much all of my 2016 books (this will change, I know), but I do have a few books that I'm particularly excited to read.

The Virgin Suicides - because I loved Middlesex, and I can't wait to read another of his novels.
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - because I've read really interesting things about the style that it's written in and I can't wait to find out what it's really like.
The Name of the Wind - because seriously, EVERYONE is talking about it and saying how incredible it is!

A lot of my others I'm looking forward to, mostly because I feel like I should have read them by now, and I'm anticipating feeling pretty chuffed at finally ticking them off my list.

What ones are you most excited about?

message 2: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 411 comments The Name of the Wind is amazing! The audiobook was really good if you are into those.

So many to choose! I guess the ones from my list that I'm most anxious to read are:

The Stranger~ Because I love this author

One Good Dragon Deserves Another~ because book one was so much fun!

Memoirs of a Geisha~ because I've been wanting to read it forever

Eater of Lives~ because Jordan L. Hawk is my all time favorite MM author and I can't wait to continue this series

Stiletto~ because the first book was amazing! It was so refreshing to read something from this genre that didn't have a stupid cliche love triangle. If you haven't read The Rook then I highly recommend it!

message 3: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Honestly, I'm excited about most of the books on my list. But I've also chosen books that was already on my TBR-list and for a long time I haven't added books to that list unless I really really wanted to read the book.

And now I just tried to pick out a few favorites but it's too difficult. I feel like I'm letting down all the other books!

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm really looking forward to The Fold, The Way of Kings, The Husband's Secret and reading more of Neil Gaiman's and Margaret Atwood's books.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I'm looking forward to so many of the books on my list for next year, but here are the ones that I'm the most excited about.

The Wise Man's Fear and The Slow Regard of Silent Things - because I loved The Name of the Wind

Carry On - because it seems like a fun read and its a Goodreads choice nominee

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Station Eleven and The Night Circus - because I've heard great things about them

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Rothfuss's books are amazing and I really liked The Night Circus! It looks like we're all going to have so much fun next year :)

message 7: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments My excitation is totally linked to the authors I like, so I'm pretty excited about anything written by Sullivan, Gaiman and Ness. I added mostly new authors in my plan so I'm more curious (and cautious) than excited, but I'm looking forward to discover new favorites.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm looking forward to the ones on my list, some are rereads and some are new to me like the Colleen Hoover book ,will there's 2 on my list that I have to finish.but I'm all so a little bit hesitative about some of them ,like will I actually like or love them.take for instance the Tarzan book,I'm only 38 years old but thinks to my dad ,while I was growing up introduce me to the old Tarzan movies,but for some reason I've never picked up the books.so my feels are a little bit mixed up about that one.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I feel like I'm out of the loop because I never heard of The Name of the Wind until I joined this group!

I'm excited about reading some of the books that have been on my TBR for ages. I want to get some of those cleared off!!

I plan to read The Virgin Suicides too because it's been on my TBR for awhile.

message 10: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad O'Brien (sinead89) I can't wait for 2016 to start so I can get to reading my list!!

I'm most excited about American Gods, Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street, Parable of the Sower and Never Let Me Go.

I can say though I am genuinely excited to get to every title on my list. How many days til 2016??

message 11: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments The Name of the Wind - only heard good things about it.

A Canticle for Leibowitz - seems like a great story written with a quirky sense of humor

The Blind Assassin - discovered Margaret Atwood this year and I can't wait to read more of her books.

Wolf Hall - comes highly recommended from a family member and I have read a lot of books about the Tudors

Carry On - loved Fangirl, and bought this one - seems deliciously fluffy and quirky

The Brothers Karamazov - love Dostoyevsky and have not read this one yet

Excited about many others, too, but these I am quite sure I will love.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Marta, I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov right now and it's been very enjoyable and thought-provoking so far. I hope you like it when you read it in 2016!

message 13: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Awesome, Michelle! I actually might read the The Brothers Karamazov before, if I finish my challenge early - I have four books left. I belong to a Goodreads group that is reading it now. Also, I got Carry On sitting on my bedstand and that one is very inviting :) I am glad to see you are reading it, too, should be fun to discuss!

message 14: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Sinéad wrote: "I can't wait for 2016 to start so I can get to reading my list!!

I'm most excited about American Gods, Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street, [book:Parable of the ..."

American Gods and Never Let Me Go are on my list, too! Looking forward to reading together :)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Marta, I just realized that we are in the same Goodreads group that is reading The Brothers Karamazov! LOL

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra | 374 comments I'm excited to read The Name of the Wind which has NYSE never heard of until I asked for a recommendation for "a new to you series".

Also looking forward to From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I remember reading this as a kid and loving it. I wondering if I will love it as an adult.

message 17: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments If I should divide my list somehow, I'll pick the owned and borrowed groups. I have a batch of stagnant-feeling, not yet read works of fiction and non-fiction, and I want to downsize my bookshelf to contain only keeper fiction and reference books, then mostly use OverDrive or (very seldom) buy ebooks.

So on my 52 list I'm particularly excited about the prospect of plowing through all owned, unread books, then sell or donate them. I used to feel like I have to own a book to have it mean something, but not anymore. What I have in my head is what matters.

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Aglaea wrote: "I used to feel like I have to own a book to have it mean something, but not anymore. What I have in my head is what matters. "

I was and am exactly the same way. Even books I didn't like, I somehow felt that I had to keep. Now, nope. If I know there's a snowball's chance that I'll read it again, it goes. It's very liberating!

message 19: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Jody and Aglaea - same here! I get most of my books now from the library or on my Kindle. It is indeed very liberating!

Michelle - just noticed that, too! Awesome :)

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I'm excited that so many people are planning on reading The Name of the Wind. It's so good! I cannot recommend it enough. I'm looking forward to the discussion about it!

message 21: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm excited to read most of them but the ones that I'm the most excited to read are:

Why Not Me? - I adore Mindy Kaling

The Blind Assassin and The Heart Goes Last - I had my first taste of Atwood's writing this year and am now starving for more.

Cinder - I'll be, hopefully, reading the whole Lunar Chronicles series next year which I'm looking forward to.

message 22: by Holly (new)

Holly | 58 comments Francesca, I have read Cinder and I will be honest I couldn't put it down. I actually stayed up till 1 am reading it and I rarely do that. you'll love it!

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly | 58 comments I'm really looking forward to reading my fraternity brother's new book Music City Macabre. He's a new author and has asked some of us brothers and sisters to review his latest. I'm so excited to be part of his new journey!

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brocmo1) | 28 comments I'm super excited to read 'The Devil In The White City'. I love all things true crime and serial killers.

Also excited to read 'Red Queen' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close'.

I'm stoked to be getting quite a few of my TBR off the to-read list!

message 25: by Michelle (last edited Dec 17, 2015 12:26AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments It seems like half the group is reading The Name of the Wind (myself included). It sounds odd, I'm sure, but I'm not at all excited to read it. I'm not repellent to the idea of reading it and, of course, I will be reading it as part of my challenge but... I don't know... I've had terrible luck with hyped up books in 2015 and I don't know if I could bear it if this one ends up being one of those books.

Debra, I read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler when I was a kid too and really enjoyed it.

Francesca, I read Cinder this year and I'd like to read out the rest of the series in 2016 That should give us lots to discuss.

message 26: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Emm, I'm the same with hyped books (I usually end up very ambivalent about them) but I figure this one is 7 (?) years old so there should be something to the hype. I hope!

message 27: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments Brittany I am excited about "The Devil in the White City" too. The mix of the serial killer, architecture and Chicago World's fair, perfect.
Most of the books I picked so far on my list are high on my want to read list. Currently I am finishing the 2015 challenge and trying to read books not on next year's list.

message 28: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments This will probably sound silly, but I'm most excited to read Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny, because it's SO drastically different from what I usually read. I normally don't stray from my comfort zone, so this will definitely be interesting. I'm also excited to read the books I was supposed to read in 2015 (and a little embarrassed I didn't get through them), like Inkheart and Stone Butch Blues. I did a lot of over-reaching this past year, but I narrowed the list down to books I genuinely want to read (not books I feel like I HAVE to read), so I think I'll do much better on my goal in 2016.