Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Emily's First Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Apr 07, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments I'm excited to start this list out, I'm so glad I found this group a few weeks ago!

Old School

1. Persuasion (02/10/2016) ***
2. The Monk
3. The Picture of Dorian Gray

New School

4. The Metamorphosis (04/5/2016) ****
5. The Master and Margarita
6. Brave New World

Fun Stuff

7. Atonement (01/29/2016) ****
8. Year of Wonders (01/08/2016) ****
9. Stardust (02/17/2016) *****
10. All the Pretty Horses
11. Schindler's List
12. The Fall of Arthur

Old School Alternative: Virgin Soil
New School Alternative: The Satanic Verses

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9332 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Emily! So excited for your first one.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Thanks Kathy! Hopefully I'll be able to finish.

message 4: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Have fun! It's my first Old & New Challenge as well ;)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Emily, I'm really interested in " The Monk." It's been nominated for some of our polls but I think I'd like to read it even though it hasn't won.

I'll watch to see what your impressions are.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Phil wrote: "Have fun! It's my first Old & New Challenge as well ;)"

Thanks Phil, and thanks for nominating "The Hobbit" which looks to be the winner! I can't wait to reread it again!

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Emily, I'm really interested in " The Monk." It's been nominated for some of our polls but I think I'd like to read it even though it hasn't won.

I'll watch to see what your impressions are."

This one really interested me because my favorite novel is "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and the lead character in "The Monk" appears to be similar to Claude Frollo by what little scratching of the surface I've done. I'm planning on nominating it again for a group read, but otherwise, I'll post my opinions of it on here.

message 8: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nice list! As a huge Tolkien fan, I really like to read The Fall of Arthur, it´s one of the few I haven´t read. And All the Pretty Horses are waiting for me in my bookshelf :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Emily, I read Hugo's "Les Miserbles" for the quarterly long read (listened to audio). I just loved it! I plan to read "Hunchback of Notre Dame" at some point.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
We're glad you found the group too, enjoy your challenge.

message 11: by Emily (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:52PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Desertorum wrote: "Nice list! As a huge Tolkien fan, I really like to read The Fall of Arthur, it´s one of the few I haven´t read. And All the Pretty Horses are waiting for me in my bookshelf :)"

I'm a big fan of Tolkein as well and I grew up on the legends of King Arthur, I'm really excited for that one!

"All the Pretty Horses", and Cormac McCarthy in general, has been on my TBR list for far too long, I've heard nothing but great things about his writing.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Emily, I read Hugo's "Les Miserbles" for the quarterly long read (listened to audio). I just loved it! I plan to read "Hunchback of Notre Dame" at some point."

I've been planning on nominating "Hunchback" for the next few quarterly read elections (until it wins or I give up), I'd love to reread it with a group.

And thanks Bob and Stephanie!

message 13: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Emily wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Emily, I read Hugo's "Les Miserbles" for the quarterly long read (listened to audio). I just loved it! I plan to read "Hunchback of Notr..."

You should nominate it! I have it in my challenge so I would be in :)

message 14: by Emily (last edited Jan 08, 2016 08:55PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Finished Year of Wonders today. A very good historical novel that pays a fictional tribute to the real plague town of Eyam in Derbyshire, England, where the villagers voluntarily quarantined themselves, so not to infect the neighboring villages, under the lead of their charismatic rector. It was definitely on the depressing side, but all in all a good read. Four stars, I'm glad to cross that one off of my list.

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1605 comments I have Year of Wonders on my TBR. Good to see that you liked it.

message 16: by Emily (last edited Jan 29, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Just completed Atonement. I have not seen the movie, so I did not know what to expect. This book has been on my tbr list for years due to its acclaim from both the critics and trusted friends. I admittedly had a difficult time getting through the middle of the book because the circumstances of the crime committed reminded me of a few ugly instances that I've personally seen in my own life which I didn't want to think about, though I do believe that it was the author's intention to make you look inwardly and be uncomfortable what was transpiring on an intimate level. A lot of the reviewers who were negative toward this story said that they did not like the ending - I honestly thought that the ending was perfect. Four stars. I definitely recommend it.

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Atonement is a book I've planned to read simply because it is a past group read. I have no expectations about the book either positive or negative, but glad to know you thought it a good read.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Finished Persuasion, Jane Austen's classic story of Anne Elliot's second chance at love and marriage, moments ago. Three stars may be a bit harsh as I did enjoy this work overall, but Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Northanger Abbey are just more of my cup of tea. It is Jane Austen, so of course it's worth a read.

message 19: by Emily (last edited Feb 17, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Finished Stardust last night and I absolutely loved it. This is my second work by Neil Gaiman, the other book I've read of his was a collection of short stories titled Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders which for me was a mixed bag of fabulous and "meh" . Stardust is a very whimsical fairy tale with an old fashioned feel to it. This is a book that I'd feel comfortable recommending to readers who don't typically like fantasy. Found out recently that there is a film production of this work starring Claire Danes, I think a movie night is in order!

message 20: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments I took Stardust as a free Kindle choice, having not read any Gaiman before, and really liked it
I will be reading American Gods soon
I caught part of the film on TV and wasn't overly impressed, but maybe I need to see the whole thing...?