THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Turning your book into *fill in blank*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 15 comments I wanted to engage some opinions. I am a new author and what I suspect to be fake offers have come towards my way.

When I first set out I never intended for my books to be turned into anything other than books. However I have seen many examples of how an author can have their work turned into a movie or graphic novel or even a game in Game of thrones case.

My instincts are telling me all these offers I got are fake because they are all too good to be true and I know my books are not that great, not too many people have read them.

One of these offer pretended to be someone from Goodreads (which I forwarded but that is a separate subject)

So I was hoping authors in this group could give me the basics on the Pitfalls on this subject.

So far I am making audio books and a Graphic novel which is all I really intended.

So I guess
Question 1: How do you tell a real offer from a fake?
Question 2: Is there some things a book should just never be turned into?

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Loofbourrow (pattyloof) I've seen books turned into everything from beer steins to underwear. I guess it depends on your book and what you want to do with it. Make sure you keep the merchandising rights. :)

A real offer is where money goes towards you. Others may be real but you may want to consult an attorney if you're doubtful.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 177 comments A couple of thoughts:

1. Remember a powerful truth: if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true.

2. Unless you have a lot of experience with contracts, particularly publishing contracts or merchandising agreements, talk to a lawyer before you sign anything. "Electronic signatures" can be just as binding as the old-fashioned pen and ink ones.

3. If you don't understand everything in any contract that's offered to you, don't sign it. Never trust someone on the other side who tells you "Oh, that part just means blah-blah-blah, it's...standard/customary/normal/not that big a deal/whatever." No matter what the other side tells you something means, if you don't read it and understand it precisely the same way, the odds are against it being a contract provision that's favorable to you.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

p.s. I agree with Patricia, there's no limit on what a book (or it's title/cover/logo/concept) can be turned into, except perhaps the boundaries of what you consider to be good taste.

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 15 comments thank you to both of you : just as a heads up the email i got offering me a movie deal was the one pretending to be from Goodreads pretended to be a talent scout that is on Goodreads even used the website logo but they miss-spelt goodreads in the email and the email address was @goodread.ca so i knew that one was fake

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 25, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Eric's 100% right about not agreeing or sgning to anything not clear to you.

You can easily license your book rights in many ways -- but, getting those rights back can be difficult. Many things -- like audiobooks and graphic novel adaptations -- should probably be done as services paid for without granting options, rights, etc. Respecting the artists involved where everyone gets credit so that you keep all rights to your words, the artist producing artwork keeps credit and rights while granting your exclusive use of their work for that particular book ...

Clearly the movie deal "from goodreads" (hah!) wasn't legitimate. Some more legitimate offers are still chancy. I've heard of things like productions that option all kinds of books as movies or tv series but never go into production for whatever reason, never go into production for years, wind up selling those options to someone else (or back to you) at a profit...

Know who you are doing business with; sure, if Touchstone, Disney, Steven Spielberg or some really well known reputable company approaches you -- time to jump in and pay that lawyer to make sure the business is who they say they are and that the deal is fair.

One of the advantages of being self-published is potentially being able to do it all on your own without having to worry about who you are trusting with your copyrights and reputation. Paying someone to do something (editing, covers, formatting...) and getting ripped off is bad and a costly error; but, losing that fee just loses that fee while licensing your intellectual property rights to a shady business ...

ETA: typos

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Lazarus (lizlazarus) | 9 comments A fellow author told me that he was recently contacted by a person claiming to be a movie producer, however this person seemed to be operating more like a film broker. He showed interest and enthusiasm for my friend's book, but then asked for a screenplay and ~$150,000 for starter money.
Just know a real producer would offer to buy the movie rights, not ask for backing money and a script.
Appreciate having this forum to share.

message 7: by Yen-Tzu (last edited Nov 29, 2015 11:41PM) (new)

Yen-Tzu | 22 comments Christopher wrote: "I wanted to engage some opinions. I am a new author and what I suspect to be fake offers have come towards my way."

Hi Christopher, I'm so sorry to hear about this situation! I've spoken to the team about this, and they'd like to look into the matter for you. If you'd like us to do so, please email us at support (at) goodreads (dot) com.

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 108 comments Yes, I agree with everyone else. If they are asking you for money upfront for a movie, I detect the smell of fakery. Run a mile in the opposite direction. And, for anything you think is genuine - definitely get that contract checked out. Better to take time out now to safeguard yourself than have to hire loads of lawyers after the event to regain your rights/money/etc.

message 9: by Gaby (new)

Gaby Pratt | 1 comments Good advice!

message 10: by د.ريمة (new)

د.ريمة (omferas) | 105 comments Hi
I wish I could be had fully understood what it means to (a fake), or incorrect? Because there are certain things other fakes, submit your book to become a film, and then stealing your idea, but I think in your case, I guess that things can be resolved.