Horror Aficionados discussion

Dracula
This topic is about Dracula
Buddy Listens > Dracula-Full Cast Performance

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (last edited Nov 25, 2015 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char  | 13729 comments Mod
Kate and I are going to listen to Dracula together. If anyone wants to join us, please feel free!

message 2: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments Yay, Char!! :)

Yay, Kate! :)

Terry | 4849 comments I've had this book on my TBR pile for a while. I'd like to join along, too.

message 5: by Char (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Welcome, Terry! I started listening a week or two ago, but then set it aside because two library audios came in.

Today, I'm going to start listening from the beginning again.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10692 comments Mod
I listened to this back in....October? whenever it was the group listen. it's really good. I hope y'all love it as much as I did.

Terry | 4849 comments Thanks, Latasha, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to be able to get started on it later today.

Thanks, Latasha!

I'm really enjoying this so far. The narrator/Dracula's voice is perfect. :)

Terry | 4849 comments I agree, Charlene, the narrator is very good, both with his voice and also a very good pacing. I'm about two hours in so far. It is sure a different thing to listen to the way this is written compared to more recent work.

It is different, but in my eyes, or is it my ears?, it's a good different.

Terry | 4849 comments I think its a good thing!

message 13: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments I've just started this today and listened to the first chapter. Who is the voice of Dracula? It doesn't say in the cast list.

message 14: by Char (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not sure and was wondering the same thing. ?? If it's the same deal as Locke & Key was, they will tell us at the very end.

I'm about 20% in and I'm enjoying the hell out of myself. I just finished the part which was a (view spoiler) What a blast!

Terry | 4849 comments I'm just now to the same point you are talking about, Charlene. I'm also liking the parts about Renfield.

Funny how they list all the voices except that of Dracula.

Yes! The Renfield bits are fun. :)

Terry | 4849 comments Really liked the captain's journal, too.

message 18: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike | 36 comments Re: the voice actor who plays Dracula...from what I can tell (based on a Google search), (view spoiler)

Somewhat off-topic, but since I'm already commenting...this does look like a great cast, but I just can't get into this story. I tried to read it for the first time a year or so ago, and I ended up abandoning it around the halfway point. It read more like a romance novel than a horror novel, and it was such a chore to get through. I read it on my Kindle, and it felt like it took ages to advance from one percentage mark to the next. I was extremely disappointed.

I don't listen to audiobooks, so I didn't know about this back then. If I had, perhaps I would have tried listening to it instead, but I doubt it would have made a difference either way. In any case, my attempt to read it left such a bad taste in my mouth that the story has kind of lost its appeal at this point. It's one of those cases where, for me, the legend is far better than the source material.

I hope you have a better experience with it than I did!

Oh no Mike! :(

That's too bad that you didn't enjoy it, Mike. :(

This will be my 4th time "reading" it, or at least the 3rd. Each time I read it I find something new to appreciate. I love books written in the epistolary form, (diary entries and letters), so that might be part of the reason I enjoy this story so much.

When I listened to this back in October, November? It would've been my ...3rd I think

Terry | 4849 comments I'm such a newbie! Only my first go around. I think the Martian is the only other book I can think of that I've read that is in the epistolary form. I'm liking it, too.

Terry | 4849 comments About 60% through now. (view spoiler)

Terry, that was good. (view spoiler)

I think Mina is a great character too. A strong and sensible woman of her day.

Terry | 4849 comments Yes (view spoiler)

I'm at about 79% and am hoping to finish it today.

Terry | 4849 comments I wrapped it up today, also. Very much the classic I expected it to be.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Terry!

I'm only up to about 89%. Things got busier that I anticipated. I hope to finish it tomorrow.

Terry | 4849 comments I had forgotten the ending went that way. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments I'm lagging behind at 20%.(view spoiler)

message 31: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments I'm at 48% now (would have been more but kept falling asleep whilst lying on the couch listening). (view spoiler)

Kate wrote: "I'm lagging behind at 20%.[spoilers removed]"

he was my favorite as well.

Terry | 4849 comments Yeah, I liked Alan and I liked Tim in his part, and you do get more of him as the story progresses. I wasn't as annoyed by Lucy as that, not sure why :)

Lucy didn't bother me either. I'm pretty easy going with audiobooks. I listen to a lot of Librivox recordings and those can get real rough.

Lol Latasha, that bad huh?

That can be.

message 37: by Char (last edited Dec 08, 2015 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy's voice did bother me a little bit...maybe it was just her character and not the voicing? (view spoiler)

Other than that I really loved this audio. I just finished it and I enjoyed myself with this one.

Terry | 4849 comments I agree, Charlene, I'll have to listen to this again close to Halloween next year.

I loved it too.

message 40: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments Charlene wrote: "Lucy's voice did bother me a little bit...maybe it was just her character and not the voicing? [spoilers removed]

Other than that I really loved this audio. I just finished it and I enjoyed myself..."

Yes, a thousand times yes. It maybe was her character but the narrator was still annoying.
I loved Alan Cumming in this, his parts were so well done as were Tim Currys although he wasn't in it nearly enough for my liking.

Kate wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Lucy's voice did bother me a little bit...maybe it was just her character and not the voicing? [spoilers removed]

Other than that I really loved this audio. I just finished it and..."

I totally agree about Curry. I was expecting him to be a more featured voice.

message 42: by jb (new) - rated it 5 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I listened to this some time ago and I absolutely loved Tim Curry's performance. The story was so good too. The ending happened very quick in my opinion.