Real Christian discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Hey y'all!! So we are going to be doing Acts for the next Bible Buddy Reads ((;
We will be starting Friday, November 27th, 2015. (Aka Black Friday)

MK checked innnnn ;D

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Checked in!!!!! :D

message 3: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!!!! :D

message 4: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Jr. (aejlafayette) | 32 comments k

message 5: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Checked in:)

message 6: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yeah!!! Arthur and Karis!!! (((:

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Levesque (robertlevesque) | 16 comments I'll be reading along, but might not have much time to comment. Acts is a great book!

message 8: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aw great :D Understandable! I've never read it through so it should be fun ((:

message 9: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Okay y'all!! (((((; Check in any time!!

message 10: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Friday, November 27th, 2015

Acts 1 ((:

message 11: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Signing in at last! :)

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ac 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Ac 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

1:9 (4) And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

(4) After Christ had promised the full power of the Holy Spirit, with whom he would govern his church (even though he would be absent in body), he took up his body from us into heavenly tabernacles to remain there until the latter day of judgment, as the angels witness.

message 13: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay Timothy!!!!! :D

Oh great (:

Okay y'all, November 28th, Saturday, 2015
Acts 2. ((:

message 14: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ac 2:1 ¶ And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Brethren NT Commentary:

Pentecost. (Gr. pentekoste, the fiftieth). The day of Pentecost was so called because it occurred fifty days from the day following the second day of the Jews' Passover. (See Le 23:15,16) As to the particular service of the feast of Pentecost, (See Le 23:17-21). Notice the following coincidental facts, viz., (1) That the resurrection of Christ occurred on the day from which Pentecost was reckoned, -- the fiftieth day after, which was on the first day of the week; wherefore Pentecost was also on the first day. (2) That the second day of the Passover was the day during which Christ lay in the tomb all day; and it was also the weekly Sabbath, because it was the seventh day. (3) That the day before the Sabbath was the day on which the Jewish paschal lamb should be slain, which was the time when Jesus died upon the cross. Hence Jesus died and was entombed on the sixth day of the week, and fourteenth day of Nisan. He lay in the tomb during the seventh day of the week -- the Jewish Sabbath and fifteenth of the month. He rose from the tomb on the first day of the week, the sixteenth day of Nisan; therefore Pentecost, fifty days after, coincides with all the special events of Christ's death and resurrection, the third day after, according to his own words. (See Lu 24:46.) Pentecost occurred on the sixteenth of Sivan, the third month of the Jewish year.

Ac 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Brethren NT Commentary:

A sound. Lit., blast; roaring. A noise really different from any other, but somewhat like a "rushing mighty wind".

-- From heaven, i.e., from on high. (Compare Lu 24:49).

-- Filled the house, i.e., the noise or sound filled the house; however, the Holy Spirit was as general in that house as the sound was, which miraculously notified them of the coming of the Holy Spirit. It was in fact, an overwhelming, or baptism of the Holy Spirit. (Compare Mt 3:11; Ac 1:5.)

-- Where they were sitting. It is not clear what house is here meant. If it had been in the temple, it would likely have been so stated.

Ac 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Brethren NT Commentary:

Cloven tongues, lit. divided; parted, or split. The appearance of tongues was a miraculous symbol of the power to speak the one Gospel to all nations. This required interpretations, so divided by languages that all nations of men might understand the conditions of salvation which God now offers to them. The tongue being the chief organ of speech, the symbol was appropriate, and readily met its design.

-- Like as of fire. Nothing attracts attention sooner than the appearance of fire, -- a very appropriate characteristic of a minister of the Gospel; for God maketh his angel ministers a flaming fire. (See Ps 104:4; Heb 1:7.)

-- It sat upon each of them, i.e., a cloven tongue sat upon each disciple. The apostles having already been commissioned to preach the Gospel to all nations (See Mt 28:19), they needed power from on high to do it; Jesus told them that they should receive it. (See Lu 24:49; Ac 1:8.) The symbol of a fiery, cloven tongue being seated upon them very much resembles the scene of the Holy Ghost descending in the bodily shape like a dove, and lighting upon Jesus at his baptism. (See Mt 3:16; Lu 3:22), and remaining upon him. (See Joh 1:32.) Hence this occurrence may appropriately be regarded as the fulfillment of (Mt 3:11), -- "the baptism of fire"; for the two most prominent features of this event are distinctly represented, viz., cloven tongues, like as of fire, and the Holy Ghost. (Ac 2:3,4.) Yet they are inseparably related to each other and must go together.

Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Brethren NT Commentary:

They were all filled, viz., all those who had previously submitted to the baptism of repentance, confessing their sins. (See Mt 3:11; Mr 1:4,5.) Those alone were entitled to the Holy Ghost baptism. Those who had not received water baptism were instructed in (Ac 2:38).

-- Other tongues, tongues of inspiration. Their speaking was as miraculous as the gifts they had received; hence by the power of the Spirit they were enabled to speak to the understanding of every nation.

message 15: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ac 2:5 ¶ And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Ac 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Brethren NT Commentary:

Were confounded, etc., They could not understand how those Galileans could speak to be understood in every man's own language. (Ac 1:8.)

Ac 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Ac 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Ac 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Brethren NT Commentary:

Parthians, -- inhabitants of Parthia, a country situated nearly between and a little east of the Caspian Sea and Persian Gulf. It anciently embraced the northern part of Persia.

-- Medes, -- inhabitants of Media; a country rather southwest of the Caspian Sea, bounded on the east by Parthia, on the south by Assyria, on the west by Mesopotamia.

-- Elamites, -- inhabitants of Elam; a country supposed to have been situated south of Assyria and east of Persia.

-- Mesopotamia (between rivers), the country between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates.

-- Judea. The south part of Palestine, of which Jerusalem is the metropolis. Some doubts have been entertained as to the proper rendering of the Greek by "Judea," but they are not well founded.

-- Cappadocia. A country in eastern Asia Minor; anciently lying between the range of Mount Taurus and the Black Sea.

-- Pontus. Anciently on the north part of Cappadocia, bounded on the north by the Euxine, or Black Sea, on the west by the river Halys.

-- Asia. Supposed to be Asia Minor and the part known as Natolia.

Ac 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Brethren NT Commentary:

Phrygia. A country lying between Asia and Cappadocia.

-- Pamphylia. A country lying between Lycia and Cilicia, on the north coast of the Mediterranean Sea.

-- Egypt. A very extensive country, bounded on the north by the Mediterranean Sea; on the east by the Red Sea and Isthmus of Suez; on the south by Ethiopia, and by Barca and Nubia on the west.

-- Libya. A district in the north part of Africa, west of Egypt.

-- Cyrene. A country on the Mediterranean Sea, southwest of the island of Crete.

-- Strangers of Rome, part of whom were of regular Jewish descent, and part Gentile converts to the Jews' religion. They are supposed to have spoken the Latin language.

Ac 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Brethren NT Commentary:

Cretes, -- natives of Crete; a large island, now called Candia, in the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea.

-- Arabians, -- natives of Arabia, a country lying between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf.

-- Wonderful works of God, i.e., the works of God as executed by the Emmanuel, and now declared by the apostles. (Compare Joh 9:4; 1Ti 3:16.)

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 5 comments Hi, Mary Kate and Bible Buddies,
I have read chapters 1 and 2 of Acts. Wow. It's a bit harder to follow than I remember.
What versions do you read? I am a die-hard King James reader but I have also read the NIV along with KJV. It helps a lot. Also I have a study Bible that has a lot of comments.
Happy November 28 to you all. God bless you!

message 17: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

@Timothy- Aw great work Timothy!!! (:

@Deborah- Yay! Great :D I am actually a little behind so I plan to catch up tonight (;
Oh yes, straight on King James Version ((; I have a study Bible that also add notes and it is a lot of help!! Sometimes it is not useful but confusing, but usually it can be a help ((:

message 18: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I've heard a lot of the stories in Acts many times but I'm really enjoying just reading it again for myself. Here are a couple of thoughts. The verses I shared are in NIV, in case you were wondering.

In Ch.3, Peter healed a man at the Temple's gate who had been crippled for over 40 years. Everyone was amazed and gathered around Peter expecting an explanation. This is what Peter said: (verses 12-23)

“Fellow Israelites, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate, though he had decided to let him go. 14 You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you. 15 You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.17 “Now, fellow Israelites, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders. 18 But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Messiah would suffer. 19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20 and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22 For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23 Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from their people.’
Naturally, the leaders and teachers were upset and had Peter arrested and held in custody. The next day they questioned him asking in what power or name did Peter heal and speaking in such a manner. Here I smile and wonder how well they were listing to what Peter said. Peter had made it very clear as to Whom he got his power from. But Peter told them :)
Ch. 4 verses 8-13
8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: “Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 Jesus is
“‘The stone you builders rejected,
which has become the cornerstone.’
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” 13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.
Verse 12 is so important because so many people believe all religions led to heaven and that you can just pick one of them that works the best for you. No, it doesn’t work that way! Because verse 12 says, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to man by which we might be saved.”

message 19: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Great work, Karis!! Those are such terrific verses!!

((: We are on Acts 4 today.

message 20: by gabi (new)

gabi Sorry I didn't check in earlier!

message 21: by Monna (new)

Monna (monna8) I'm late but checking in ☺

message 22: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!!! That's okay y'all! Welcome Monica and Gabriela (((:

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 5 comments A little late in pointing this out but the words I loved best from Chapter 1:24 was: Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us ... This is the NIV version but oh what a wonderful prayer. God, You know our hearts. Show us. Show us what You would have us do. Show us how to be good witnesses for You. Show us.

message 24: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aw that was beautiful!!!!!! :D :D

message 25: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments 1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

3:26 Unto you first God, having (k) raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

(k) Given to the world, or raised from the dead, and advanced to his kingdom.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

4:1 And (1) as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the (a) captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

(1) There are none more commonly diligent or bold enemies of the Church than those who profess themselves to be the chief builders of it, but the more they rage, the more steadfastly the faithful servants of God continue. (a) The Jews had certain troops for the guard and safety of the temple and holy things (see Mt 26:47). These garrisons had a captain, such as Eleazarus Ananias, the high Priest's son in the time of the war that was in Judea, being a very impudent and proud young man; Josephus, lib. 2, of the taking of Judea.

Ac 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Ac 4:3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

4:4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the (b) number of the men was about five thousand.

(b) While they thought to diminish the number, they actually increased it.

message 26: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Acts 5 begins with a story that is rather scary to someone not familiar with it. A couple a field and gave some the money to the disciples saying it was the full price for the field while secretly withholding some of the money.(Using the ICB version)

Acts 5:1-11

Peter said, “Ananias, why did you let Satan rule your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit. Why did you keep part of the money you received for the land for yourself? 4 Before you sold the land, it belonged to you. And even after you sold it, you could have used the money any way you wanted. Why did you think of doing this? You lied to God, not to men!” 5-6 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. Some young men came in, wrapped up his body, carried it out, and buried it. And everyone who heard about this was filled with fear.

7 About three hours later his wife came in. She did not know what had happened. 8 Peter said to her, “Tell me how much money you got for your field. Was it this much?”

Sapphira answered, “Yes, that was the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “Why did you and your husband agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The men who buried your husband are at the door! They will carry you out.” 10 At that moment Sapphira fell down by his feet and died. The young men came in and saw that she was dead. They carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 The whole church and all the others who heard about these things were filled with fear.

The rest of chapter is great too, but I don't have time to post anything on it right now.

message 27: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ac 4:32 ¶ And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

Ac 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

(( The two references that Hutterites use for the basis of communal living. ))

Ac 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

Ac 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

Ac 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Ac 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,

Ac 4:37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Ac 5:12 ¶ And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

Ac 5:13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.

Ac 5:14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)

Ac 5:15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.

message 28: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay Sophie ((:

Great work y'all!!!!

December 1st, 2015- Acts 5 ((:

message 29: by Timothy (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:56AM) (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ac 6:1 ¶ And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

6:1 And (1) in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the (a) Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the (b) daily ministration.

(1) When Satan has assailed the Church on the outside, and with little result and in vain, he assails it on the inside, with civil dissension and strife between themselves: but the apostles take occasion by this to set order in the Church. (a) From among their own members, who became religious Jews from among the Greeks. (b) In the bestowing of alms according to their need.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

6:2 (2) Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not (c) reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve (d) tables.

(2) The office of preaching the word, and dispensing the goods of the Church, are different from one another, and not rashly to be joined together, as the apostles institute here. And the deacons must seek the consent of the Church more than the apostles. (c) It is such a matter that we may in no way accept it. (d) Banquets: though by the name of tables other offices are also meant, which are added to it, such as those which pertain to the care of the poor.

Ac 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

Ac 6:4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Ac 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

6:6 (4) Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they (e) laid their hands on them.

(4) The ancient Church, with the laying on of hands, as it were consecrated to the Lord those who were lawfully elected. (e) This ceremony of the laying on of hands came from the Jews, who used this ceremony both in public affairs, and in the offering of sacrifices, and also in private prayers and blessings, as appears in Ge 48:13-22; and the Church also observed this ceremony, as is evident from 1Ti 5:22; Ac 8:17. However, there is no mention made here either of cream, or shaving, or razing, or crossing, etc.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

6:7 (5) And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the (f) faith.

(5) A happy result of temptation. (f) This is the figure of speech metonymy, meaning by "faith" the doctrine of the Gospel which brings about faith.

message 30: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

December 2nd, 2015, Wednesday
Acts 6

message 31: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Since I just caught up on all these chapters last night I'm gonna have to rewind ((;

Luke is believed to have write this (: Although Peter and Paul's works are the mostly highlighted.

1:14 Shows how we all should be in one accord praising the Lord, no matter what race or sex we are.

Chapter 2 is very deep and very meaningful!!

Chapter 3 is amazing!!! I love the story of the lame man and his healing! Verse 6: I love how Peter said how he could not give him money, but yet he gave him the greatest gift he could <3
Verse 11: The lame man was following after Peter and John, still leaping and dancing and holding on to them! Haha, pretty cool (((:

Chapter 4 verse 8: Then Peter filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them,
If we are filled with the Holy Spirit and let him lead out words we will say what needs to be said!
4:12 Neither is there any salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Only Jesus is the way to eternal life <3

4:13 I thought it was just so cool how it mentions the Sadducees though how bold these disciples was then figured they had been with Jesus. If we walk with the Lord we will boldly state his name!

4:16 These Sadducees knew this was a miracle, yet they were too consumed by their flesh and love of money and title rather than believe on Jesus, the one whom they knew were behind these miracles.

4:34-37
These people gave up all for the Lord. They were all taken care of financially because of this. The Lord was more important to them then their possessions!

The end part of chapter 5 is amazing! Some of the apostles were thrown in jail, yet an angel came and released them. They Sadducees and others didn't even notice they were gone, until some person came and told them these apostles were preaching in one of the most known places of the city!! The apostles were not scared, they obeyed the Lord and they were protected because of this!

5:38-39 And now I say unto you, refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to naught:
But if it be of God, ye can not overthrow it;lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Haha, what an amazing thing this is. We are still here following after Jesus after 2,000 years! This is of God! Let us continue to follow Him <<33

message 32: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Acts 7, one of the greatest messages ever deliver'd, in which it cover'd the time from Abraham to Christ. Stephen witness'd heaven open and beheld and saw Christ, and the madness of the people grew the worse with one force they attack'd him.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

7:55 (9) But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus (z) standing on the right hand of God,

(9) The nearer that martyrs approach to death, the nearer that they rise up, even into heaven, as they behold Christ. (z) Ready to affirm him in the confession of the truth, and to receive him unto himself.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

7:57 (10) Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and (a) ran upon him with one accord,

(10) The zeal of hypocrites and superstitious people eventually breaks out into a most open madness. (a) This was done in a rage and fury, for at that time the Jews could put no man to death by law, as they confessed before Pilate saying that it was no lawful for them to put any man to death, and therefore it is reported by Josephus that Ananus, a Sadducee, slew James the brother of the Lord, and for so doing was accused before Albinus, the president of the country; lib. 20.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the (b) witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

(b) It was appointed by the Law that the witnesses should cast the first stones; De 17:7.

Ac 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

7:60 (11) And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, (c) lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he (d) fell asleep.

(11) Faith and charity never forsake the true servants of God, even to the last breath. (c) The word which he uses here refers to a type of imputing or laying to one's charge that remains firm and steady forever, never to be remitted. (d) See 1Th 4:13.

message 33: by Timothy (new)

8:37 (13) And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, (n) I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

(13) Profession of faith is required of those being baptized, and therefore it is evident that we are not first ingrafted into Christ when we are baptized, but are already ingrafted, and then are baptized. (Ed.) (n) The sum of the confession which is necessary for baptism.

Ac 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Ac 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Ac 8:40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

9:1 And (1) Saul, yet (a) breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

(1) Saul (who is also Paul), persecuting Christ most cruelly, who did as it were flee before him, falls into Christ's hands, and is overcome: and with a singular example of the goodness of God, in place of punishment which he justly deserved for his cruelty, is not only kindly received, but is also even by the mouth of God appointed an apostle, and is confirmed by the ministry and witness of Ananias. (a) This is a sign that Saul's stomach boiled and cast out great threats to murder the disciples.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this (b) way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

(b) Any trade of life which a man take upon himself the Jews call a "way".

Ac 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Ac 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is (c) hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

(c) This is a proverb which is spoken of those who through their stubbornness hurt themselves.

Ac 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

message 34: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

December 8th- Chapter 12

How y'all doing? ((:

message 35: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Sorry, MK :( We've kinda been silent here. I just caught up right now *guilty face* It's a little hard for me to concentrate right now. I'm listening to "Doughnuts for Benny." LOL

Alright, I'll focus now :)It's over.

Acts ten was a huge turning point for the Christian faith at the time. Peter has a dream where a tent full of unclean animals is lowered from the sky. He's told to by a voice to kill and eat it. Peter gives what would seem to be the correct response, that he would never eat what he had been taught was unclean. It was sinning. However the voice says, " God has made these things clean. Don't call them unholy." These happens two more times and as Peter is thinking these things over, he has a few visitors. They were Cornelius' two servants and friend. Cornelius was a centurion, but a God fearing man who served God. He had been told in a vision where Peter was and to fetch Peter. So Peter went to Cornelius' house. It is more of a big deal then it sounds like because for a Jew to go into a Gentile's house would make him unclean. Anyway, Peter went and explained to the people of Cornelius' household of the Good news of Christ. The Holy Spirit came down one those listening that believed and later they were baptized.

*deep breath* Ch. 11:1-4 (NIV)

The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him 3 and said, “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.”
4 Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story.

verses 19-26
19 Now those who had been scattered by the persecution that broke out when Stephen was killed traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, spreading the word only among Jews. 20 Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus. 21 The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord. 22 News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. 24 He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.
25 Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

Ch. 12:1-5
It was about this time that King Herod arrested some who belonged to the church, intending to persecute them. 2 He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword. 3 When he saw that this met with approval among the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Festival of Unleavened Bread. 4 After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each. Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover. 5 So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.

God certainly answered the church's prayer. Anyhow, hope you all our enjoying Acts.

message 36: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

*cracking up* xD xP xO xD Donuts for Benny!!! *cheers* That's just hilarious right? I almost got choked yesterday when that came on and I liked to fell out xP xD

Okay, Haha, back to the subject at hand (; no worries!! I got a bit behind with this too! I'll post my thoughts soon ;) That was great work girl!!!! All those you posted were excellent!!! Acts is very deep and I love the story telling :D

message 37: by Timothy (new)

10:34 (6) Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that (n) God is no respecter of persons:

(6) Distinction of nations is taken away by the coming of Christ: and it is evidently seen by their faith and righteousness, which ones are agreeable to him and which ones he accepts. (n) That God does not judge according to the outward appearance.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:35 But in every nation he that (o) feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

(o) By the "fear of God" the Hebrews understood the whole service of God, by which we perceive that Cornelius was not void of faith, no more than they were who lived before Christ's time: and therefore they deal incorrectly who deduce meritorious works and free will from this passage.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:36 The (p) word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

(p) God showed the Israelites that whoever lives godly is acceptable to God, no matter what nation he comes from, for he preached peace to men through Jesus Christ, who is Lord not only of one nation, that is, of the Jews, but of all.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:37 (7) That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

(7) The sum of the Gospel (which will be made manifest at the latter day, when Christ himself will sit as judge both of the living and the dead), is this, that Christ promised to the fathers and exhibited in his time with the mighty power of God (which was demonstrated by all means) and at length crucified to reconcile us to God, did rise again the third day, so that whoever believes in him should be saved through the remission of sins.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:38 How God (q) anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

(q) This manner of speaking is taken from an old custom of the Jews, who used to anoint their kings and priests, because of which it came to pass to call those anointed upon whom God bestowed gifts and virtues.

Ac 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

Ac 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses (r) chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

(r) This choosing of the apostles is properly given to God: for though God is president in the lawful election of ministers, yet there is in this place a secret opposition and setting of God's choosing and men's voices against one another, for the apostles are appointed directly by God, and the Church ministers indirectly.

Ac 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Ac 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:44 (8) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

(8) The Spirit of God seals that in the heart of the hearers which the minister of the word speaks by the commandment of God, as is evident by the results.

Ac 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ac 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

10:47 (9) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

(9) Baptism does not sanctify or make those holy who receive it, but is an outward sign to the world of the profession of faith. (Ed.)

Ac 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Ac 11:27 ¶ And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

Ac 11:28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.

Ac 11:29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:

Ac 11:30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

Ac 12:12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

12:13 (6) And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel (d) came to hearken, named Rhoda.

(6) We obtain more from God than we dare well hope for. (d) Out of the place where they were assembled, but not out of the house.

Ac 12:14 And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate.

Ac 12:15 And they said unto her, Thou art mad. But she constantly affirmed that it was even so. Then said they, It is his angel.

Ac 12:16 But Peter continued knocking: and when they had opened the door, and saw him, they were astonished.

Ac 12:17 But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.

Ac 12:18 Now as soon as it was day, there was no small stir among the soldiers, what was become of Peter.

Ac 12:19 And when Herod had sought for him, and found him not, he examined the keepers, and commanded that they should be put to death. And he went down from Judaea to Caesarea, and there abode.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

12:20 (9) And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king's chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king's country.

(9) A miserable and shameful example of what happens to the enemies of the Church.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:
12:22 (10) And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.

(10) The flattery of people makes fools glad.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

12:23 (11) And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he (e) gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

(11) God resists the proud. (e) Josephus records that this king did not repress the flatterer's tongues, and therefore at his death he complained and cried out about their empty praise.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

12:24 (12) But the (s) word of God grew and multiplied.

(12) Tyrants build up the Church by destroying it. (s) Those that heard the word of God.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

13:1 Now (1) there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with (a) Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

(1) Paul with Barnabas is again the second time appointed apostle of the Gentiles, not of man, neither by man, but by an extraordinary commandment of the Holy Spirit. (a) This was the same Antipas who put John the Baptist to death.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

13:2 As they (b) ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have (c) called them.

(b) While they were busy doing their office, that is, as Chrysostom expounds it, while they were preaching. (c) The Lord is said to call, from which this word "called" comes from, which is common in the Church, when he causes that to be which was not, whether you refer it to the matter itself, or to any quality or thing about the matter: and the use of the word "call" has come about because when things begin to be, then they have some name: and furthermore this also declares God's mighty power, in that he spoke the word, and things were made.

1599 Geneva Bible Notes:

13:3 (2) And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

(2) Fasting and solemn prayers were used before the laying on of hands.

message 38: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Hey y'all!!! Chapter 20 today :D
What y'all thinking?

message 39: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I haven't been keeping up with this. Where are we now? Or are we done already? I'm really behind...

message 40: by gabi (new)

gabi I think that we are supposed to be done, but I am behind...

message 41: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Hm, okay ;)

message 42: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha yeah. We are done with it, but I'm behind as well xO xP

message 43: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments I read the book, but fail'd to keep up here. . .

message 44: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha. I agree! No worries, its been busy ;P

message 45: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Great book, great work, and now it's time to close it out :D
God bless!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.