Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Authors Blogs Spotlight! > What Do You Think Is Funny?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 130 comments New Post: What Do You Think Is Funny

at Find Your Funny

What tickles us can help us make decisions while we're writing.

message 2: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Wallis | 6 comments I am learning, late in life, that there are cultural differences between nations that define what is funny. I am a Brit living in France with many American friends. A joke to one group can bomb in another and mean nothing to the others.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 130 comments Douglas wrote: "I am learning, late in life, that there are cultural differences between nations that define what is funny. I am a Brit living in France with many American friends. A joke to one group can bomb in ..."

Very true. In many cases, our references and viewpoints are different meaning the humor will not cross borders. There is also cultural norms, for example, sarcasm is not considered funny in some cultures where they have a tendency to take everything literally.

However, there are some forms of humor that are universal. The classic example, every culture has some form of slapstick.

Thanks for stopping by, Douglas.

message 4: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Wallis | 6 comments Agreed but it is not really considered funny by the Brits whereas the French consider it a cultural sub genre. A classic example is Mr Bean, which makes the average Brit cringe but is considered by the French to be the epitome of British humour.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 130 comments Douglas wrote: "...makes the average Brit cringe but is considered by the French to be the epitome of British humour."

That, in itself, is hilarious!