Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > December shared book read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments The discussion about the November shared read will soon open. To keep the process going it's time to think about the book for December. Please make your suggestions in this thread and we'll choose by poll early in December.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "The discussion about the November shared read will soon open. To keep the process going it's time to think about the book for December. Please make your suggestions in this thread and we'll choose ..."

Looking forward to the discusion about The Secret Life of Bees. I'll have a think about another choice for discussion in January.

message 3: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Ah - good point, Ian. For some reason I had it in mind that this would be a monthly event, but I have no idea why I formed that impression - nobody said as much. I suppose that because I'm retired, and read a lot of books each month, the thought that one would be a shared read didn't bother me. I can see that others may well not want the commitment and have their own extensive to-be-read lists to get through.
Maybe we should see how the chatting about the November choice goes before pressing on with another.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "Ah - good point, Ian. For some reason I had it in mind that this would be a monthly event, but I have no idea why I formed that impression - nobody said as much. I suppose that because I'm retired,..."

Sorry - I didn't mean you shouldn't oragnise it monthly - I just meant I'll have to think of a book to nominate. I am happy for this to be monthly if enough people are interested - I wouldn't want to stifle enthusiasm. People can choose hwo often to join in and it wouldn't matter even if it were different people every month. I dont think there is any pressure to commit to a book a month. Plough on and take it where you will. I am delighted at the idea and looking forward to discussing this months book.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Hi BJ - when does the Bees discussion start?

message 6: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Ist December, Angela.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments B J wrote: "Ist December, Angela."

Thanks BJ, I must have a concentrated reading effort tomorrow!

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Looking forward to it

message 9: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Anyone fancy another shared book read? If so, please put forward your suggestion(s). If we can settle on one before Christmas we can be reading it over the holiday period.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "Anyone fancy another shared book read? If so, please put forward your suggestion(s). If we can settle on one before Christmas we can be reading it over the holiday period."

I'm up for that BJ. How about Carol Birch Jamrach’s menagerie - been on my list for a while

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments I have just heard Cecilia Aherne interviewed about her new book The Marble Collectoron the Simon Mayo book club. Not an author I would normally veer towards, but this one sounded interesting - a number of the reviewers also said that they really enjoyed the story even though they would not normally be tempted by this author.Apparently it represents quite a departure from her previous novels. Maybe worth a punt?

message 12: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments I'll suggest Merzougaville, Baby the new release by Stuart Ayris. He's a prolific Indy author. I've read most of his books. They provide an extraordinary reading experience: bizarre, but appealing, flights of fantasy - quite poetic at times.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "I'll suggest Merzougaville, Baby the new release by Stuart Ayris. He's a prolific Indy author. I've read most of his books. They provide an extraordinary reading experience: bizarre..."

A strange but interesting book! Will you do a vote again?

message 14: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Yes - how about I wait until Thursday evening for any further suggestions and put up a poll on Friday?

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
sounds like a plan

message 16: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments No more suggestions have been made, so we have three from which to choose: Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch; The Marble Collector by Cecelia Ahern; Merzougaville, Baby by Stuart Ayris.
I've put up a poll. If we can vote by the evening of Monday 21st it will give us a chance to get hold of the selected book before Christmas and start the discussion on, say, Saturday 9th January - if that feels a long enough period for everyone.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "No more suggestions have been made, so we have three from which to choose: Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch; The Marble Collector by Cecelia Ahern; [book:Merzougavi..."

Thanks BJ. I think I might prefer a little longer as I have a reading group book to read as well as those that are already near the top of my pile!

message 18: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments No problem, Ian. I'm sure that with you having to read one-handed we can allow you an extra 5 minutes, or so.
How about Saturday 23rd?

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "No problem, Ian. I'm sure that with you having to read one-handed we can allow you an extra 5 minutes, or so.
How about Saturday 23rd?"

23rd sounds good to me!

message 20: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments So far only three members have voted - and each book has received one vote!
The poll is open until midnight so there's still time for someone to cast a decisive vote - please.

message 21: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Sorry, what with finishing the decorating, my daughter's birthday on the 23rd and Christmas, I've rather neglected this thread.
Personally, all three books look interesting and I'll be reading all of them. I'll start with Merzougaville, Baby as it's an inexpensive ebook that I've already bought, and I'll order the other two from our local library.
It will take a little while, but perhaps we can have a somewhat drawn-out chat about the books in this thread?

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
B J wrote: "Sorry, what with finishing the decorating, my daughter's birthday on the 23rd and Christmas, I've rather neglected this thread.
Personally, all three books look interesting and I'll be reading all ..."

Are you suggesting reading all three and then discussing them all? I'm up for that

message 23: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments I'm happy doing that. It shouldn't take too long to get through all three. I'll be starting Merzougaville, Baby this evening.