Sequel Addicted discussion

Reading > Catcher in the Rye discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments This is my favorite book and I would love to discuss it with all of you!

message 2: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments yeah it is really good. I'm really glad my english class discussed it though because its kind of hard to understand.

message 3: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments sure! when you read it let me know! oh i have another group too, you should join! its on my profile =)

message 4: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

Moody Claire (singurl) | 617 comments Mod
It's the book I'm reading now. lol

I didn't expecdt anyone to post a new topic.

Anyway, I'm loving the first chapters, I'm on ch5. I'm busy with other things lol. I wish I could finish it soon because my next book to read is little women.

message 5: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

and lol you're promoting you're group in this group???

;/

message 6: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments yeah it seems like your in control of everything around here so i figured i'd throw my group out there. "i hope" thats okay with you?

but if you do want to discuss the book, let me know. i'll be happy to

message 7: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

thanks Carly!

Anyway, tayler... what'd you feel if I promoted my group in your group, right?

The topic about the book is okay but promoting your group here is like not cool.

message 8: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

lol.

I'm on chapter 10. There's sense of humor in the story that kills my boredom.

Holden describes the boys he knows in a way that keeps me wondering, can boys be really like that? lol

message 9: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments i really wouldn't care if you promoted your group in mine. its not really a competition is it?

but anyway holden describes the boys like that because he is so confused about his own sexuality.

what do you think the red hunting hat is symbolic of?
also the ducks/fish in the pond in central park.

message 10: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

well, i care. But anyway, that issue is past.

Haven't got the symbols or meanings of the story yet but maybe if I read or finished all of it, I will realize it. lol

message 11: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

yeah you should also try adding it to your TBR...

message 12: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments yeah you probably will get it, but if you want me to help i can =)
just think about the conflicts Holden is dealing with in the book in relation to the fish/ducks
and what the hat would symbolize.

message 13: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

oıɔoɹ/rocio♥ (lalis26) | 909 comments Mod
SiNgUrL wrote: "It's the book I'm reading now. lol

I didn't expecdt anyone to post a new topic.

Anyway, I'm loving the first chapters, I'm on ch5. I'm busy with other things lol. I wish I could finish it soo..."

I was reading the book but then i saw the movie. lol. never finished the book.

message 14: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments theres a movie?? i didn't know that!

message 15: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

i think Rocio is talking abt a different movie??

Tayler, check out my review about this book. I finished at last.

I'm reading Little women now.

message 16: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments great, so did you get what the symbolism was?

message 17: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

Tayler wrote: "theres a movie?? i didn't know that!"

i meant little women

message 18: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments oh okay =)

message 19: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

[:

message 20: by Moody, I want to hug him tight and never let go! (new)

Not really the symbols. The thing that caught my attention was how I could relate with Holden. lol

message 21: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments yeah we discussed this book in my english class and the red hunting hat symbolizes that he is hunting for companionship, and the red of the hat symbolizes his brother Allie. Also the fact that he wears it backwards symbolizes that he is stuck in the past and cant move forward, ecspecially in school. He is comfortable in the past and is unsure of the future.
The pond symbolizes his home, and the fish stuck in the ice are holden. He is stuck and he is unconnected with people (the people are skating above him on the ice) and the ducks could also be holden because he is unsure how to go home and when he gets there will it be frozen over (with his parents mad at him because of getting kicked out of school), will someone come and take care of him (the man in the van he mentions) or will he have to fly (run) away.
okay now my wrist hurts from typing, i hope this is informative =) the book was better i thought after i got the symbolism =)

message 22: by Nada (last edited Aug 12, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Nada | 14 comments I loved the catcher in the rye! The ending kind of confused me though. (I'm not giving anything away but...) I think the ending means that he doesn't have to be selfish to be happy, because he finds happiness when he helps his sister and moves forward with her. Does anyone else have any idea what the ending means?

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo I read this book a couple of months ago. It was pretty good. I gave it 4 stars

message 24: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

:D

message 25: by Tayler (new)

Tayler | 12 comments the ending is him coming to peace about loosing allie, and learning to move forward like you said, instead of living in the past.

message 26: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

oh

message 27: by oıɔoɹ/rocio♥, want to read more of carly's writing! hey singurl haveu written? (new)

oh