Goodreads Ireland discussion

Continental Challenge 2016 > 2016 challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Serf (new)

Serf So last year we did the classics challenge. I have two left to do but am sure I'll have them complete before 1 jan 2016.(hopefully)
For next year I was thinking we could do a continental challenge. So participants would have to read a book from each continent, the 7 of which I will list:
Africa
Antartica
Europe
North America
South America
Asia
Australia/oceania
Anyone interested?

message 2: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn A book set in each continent or by an author from that continent?

message 3: by Serf (new)

Serf Either/or
Was going to leave it open so no specific genres. Would be interesting to see what different books people pick.

message 4: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn True. I do like the idea of a challenge, during the year when I was having trouble choosing a book it helped focus my reading and I ended up falling in love with E.M Forster's books.

message 5: by Serf (new)

Serf Ya and it's not a load of books, you can fit many of the books you'll read in the year into some of the categories

message 6: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I really like this idea. I think it would help me branch out a bit from what I normally read. Oddly enough, I was thinking that I'd like to read more about 19th c. New England because I haven't read novels written right down the street from where I live. So I could have two challenges--reading near and reading far :)

message 7: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Sounds like a plan Cathleen :-)

message 8: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Trelawn wrote: "Sounds like a plan Cathleen :-)"

Hope spring eternal! It's been such a hectic year for me that--fingers crossed--I'll be able to read more next year.

message 9: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn See how it goes, it's not how much you read but that you enjoy what you're reading x

message 10: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Trelawn wrote: "See how it goes, it's not how much you read but that you enjoy what you're reading x"

Trelawn, thanks for your kind and wise words. You're right. I've really enjoyed most of what I've read this year. I sometimes forget in the hustle bustle of life :)

message 11: by Serf (new)

Serf It's all about enjoying what you read as trelawn said

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Sounds like a good idea. It would have to be either/or just to take account of Antarctica. Not exactly a continent renowned for its writers. :-P. Challenges do help you branch out. I'm in.

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo Sounds interesting Seraphina. I'll give it a shot ☺

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) What other challenges are people planning for next year?

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Lost my post!

I depend on Winstonsdad blog for lots on translated fiction.
https://winstonsdad.wordpress.com/201...

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1535 comments Mod
I have challenged myself to read 81 books at least six of which will be for my ongoing UN and US state mystery challenge.

message 17: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Emma wrote: "What other challenges are people planning for next year?"

I want to read more 19thc. American writers. I've read some, but it's been awhile, and after reading American Bloomsbury: Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau: Their Lives, Their Loves, Their Work, I've been inspired to read more.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Thanks Barbara that blog should be helpful.

Apart from this challenge I'm going to continue my personal classics challenge to read a classic a month. I want to try extend the classics to beyond the 19th century to include some of the early 20th century stuff. Open to suggestions on that front.

message 19: by Serf (new)

Serf My other challenge will be again to get through books I own on my shelf and have been meaning to read for ages

message 20: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Like Emma, I am going to try fit more classics into my reading schedule. I did really well at the beginning of this year but then waned a bit. I have plenty on my shelves to get on with and I still have to read The Mill on the Floss for this year.

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I think you'll like The Mill on the Floss Trelawn. I've really gotten into George Eliot after reading it. I have Middlemarch sitting in my shelves. May be one for over Christmas.

message 22: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I tried Middlemarch before but gave up. I'll see how I get on with The Mill on the Floss and then see where to go from there.

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm challanging myself to read one book (print or kindle) per month. My reading is comng on well but I'm too fond of the audiobooks! Going to finish A Spool of Blue Thread today and I'm very pleased with myself :D

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Seraphina wrote: "My other challenge will be again to get through books I own on my shelf and have been meaning to read for ages"

Seraphina - this challenge appeals to me a lot! I really should aim to read 2 a month, but one I can definitely manage.

message 25: by Serf (new)

Serf That's good Barbara, I think we could compile a very interesting pile of books between us all

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) So anyone got any suggestions for books. I think for the European one we should try stick to a book in translation. We all read enough English and Irish authors. We never read the continental authors.

The only African authors I know are Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Chinua Achehe. Adichie I think would appeal more to the group.

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo Emma wrote: "So anyone got any suggestions for books. I think for the European one we should try stick to a book in translation. We all read enough English and Irish authors. We never read the continental autho..."

I'm sure there have been lots of books written anout asouth africa; cry freedom, invictis etc. Antartica and s.America as the problems for me. I do remember a dean kootz mystery set on a reseach station at the north pole.is that in antertica??

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I can tackle my "unread books" challenge and internatinal writers at the same time.
I have ordered The Polish Complex- which was on WinstonsDad's blog. Also The Time of the Doves and Out in the Open. Also several Jorge Amado novels - he's Brazilian.
I'm sure there are some less esoteric novels we can agree on.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Margo No the North Pole is in the Arctic and is not considered a continent. Antartica is the South Pole.

message 30: by Serf (new)

Serf Do people think we should pick a set of 7 books or let everyone set up there own list. You can put your list up here and if people are stuck then they can see other people's choices?

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Depends if people want to operate it as a buddy read, as we did with the classic challenge, or not? I don't mind.

message 32: by Paul (new)

Paul Margo, Jules Vernes set one of his books in Antartica, conveniently called An Antartic Mystery (Translated from French)

message 33: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn My own preference would be to choose our own list. People can then read across the continents but in whatever genre they choose. And as Seraphina said, if you get stuck you could look at other peoples suggestions for a given continent.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Ooh and Edgar Allan Poe has a book set there too.

message 35: by Marcia (last edited Nov 27, 2015 03:21AM) (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I like the idea of choosing our own books this time. As others have said it gives more focus to the books read. I like the idea of exploring books from other countries.

message 36: by Serf (new)

Serf Also I think if people do there own lists and within there own timeframe, the challenge won't then interfere in our monthly and quarterly reads.

message 37: by Serf (new)

Serf So this is my own list (which may change as the year goes on)
Australia/Oceania A Fortunate Life
North America Manhattan '45
Europe Blindness
Africa Invictus
Asia Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Antartica Worst Journey in the World: Antarctic 1910-1913
South America The House of the Spirits

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Fair enough. Do people want a dedicated folder/threads for the challenge?

message 39: by Margo (new)

Margo Emma wrote: "@Margo No the North Pole is in the Arctic and is not considered a continent. Antartica is the South Pole."

Emma thanks. Geography was never my best subject LOL

message 40: by Margo (new)

Margo Paul wrote: "Margo, Jules Vernes set one of his books in Antartica, conveniently called An Antartic Mystery (Translated from French)"

Thanks Paul - bit of a clue in the title there - even I couldn'tthat one confused with the north pole ;)

message 41: by Margo (new)

Margo Emma wrote: "Fair enough. Do people want a dedicated folder/threads for the challenge?"

Emma a dedicated thread would be great. Could get some ideas from other peoples lists ;) I'm very lazy!!

message 42: by Margo (new)

Margo I've just discovered that I have a book that mentions antartica in the blurb... It is The Atlantis Gene which my hubby bought and raved about. Don'tknow how much of it is actually set there though. Might listen to that next anyway to keep the man happy ;)

message 43: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1535 comments Mod
Speaking of geography, my grandson Pat recently said"I'm going to buy a horse and ride to Africa." His ten year old brother Donny said "You can't, because of the Panama Canal." Pat is eight.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I remembered this morning that there are different ideas of how many continents there are:
In Europe and other parts of the world, many students are taught of six continents, where North and South America are combined to form a single continent of America. Thus, these six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe. I am informed that in France, it is not taught that Antarctica is a continent and thus there are five continents for French students.

Many scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid geologic landmass) as Eurasia. Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America.
http://geography.about.com/od/learnab...

I prefer considering Europe and Asia separately, as well as North and South America. I do consider North, Central and South America as the Americas but when it comes to literature, it's more appealing to consider North and South America. If we include non-fiction, there's more to consider for Antactica. I"d put Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica by Sara Wheeler on my list. GR has a list:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I was always taught there were 7 continents

message 46: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm in for this challenge . I didn't do so well with this year. I have only finished The Chronicles of Narnia and Great Expectations. Hopefully I will better luck with this one.

message 47: by Margo (new)

Margo Emma wrote: "That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I was always taught there were 7 continents"

Seems to depend on when and where you went to school! 3 generations in my house and depending who I ask it is either, 5, 6 or 7.

I think if it was dependant on cultural diffenses it would not not only be america that would be further divided!

message 48: by Margo (new)

Margo Where'd You Go, Bernadette is on the GR list of Popular Antarctica Books. In terms of this challange is that acceptable? The blurb doesn't mention it. Anyone read it?

message 49: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Margo wrote: "Where'd You Go, Bernadette is on the GR list of Popular Antarctica Books. In terms of this challange is that acceptable? The blurb doesn't mention it. Anyone read it?"

I have and have a vague memory of a tour to Antarctica. I wouldn't consider it for the category Antarctica though.

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I've been thinking about my list for this. Part of my list shall be generated by books already on my shelf. They are as follows:

North America - Stoner by John Williams
Asia - Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Africa - Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

half-of-a-yellow-sun

That leaves me with South America, Europe, Australasia/Oceania, and the Antarctic to come up with

I have been meaning to explore the Russian and French classics, so they might be an option. However I would like to use this as an opportunity to learn about an author I've never even heard of so it might be more interesting to use this challenge as an opportunity to explore contemporary European literature of which I'm far less aware. For South America and Australasia I haven't any ideas. I'm very much open to suggestions.

« previous 1 3 4