Year-long NaNo discussion

Scorpio-of-Autumn > - Daily Word Count for My First Novel-

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Daily Word Quota: 350

I've been working steadily on this novel since my Junior year of High School (though not as steadily as I should at times). It's now my Freshman year of University and this is where I stand on the project:

Current Word Count: 51,552

Current Page Count: 104

Word Goal (When I Predict it Should Be Complete): 175,000

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Total Word Count: 651

Yeah! Doubled my daily quota, and did some editing to boot!

Let's see if I can do just as well with tonight's session.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Total Word Count: 3

Yeah, no real progress last night. My contact scratched my eye and I had to take it out. Can't write when you're blind in one eye. XD

Oh, well. Happy Thanksgiving!

message 4: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
We all have those three-word days!
Happy Thanksgiving!

message 5: by Scorpio-of-Autumn (last edited Nov 26, 2015 08:45PM) (new)

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Well, I suspect my eye doctor gave me the wrong size contact lens. So...yeah, that explains why they've been bothering me so much lately. :/

message 6: by Lena, Mage (new)

Oh dear! :/

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Total Word Count: 1,360

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Also, I'm getting my contact lens problem fixed soon. So, double yay!

message 9: by Lena, Mage (new)

Yay! ^_^

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments New Word Quota: 496

Last Night's Total Word Count: 722

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Total Word Count: 369

Current Page Count: 109

Current Word Count: 54,008

Fell a little short of my quota today, but look how much work I got done in a few days! :D My goal is to have it finished by the end of the summer months. *Crosses fingers until they crack*

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Total Word Count for the Last Two Days: 1,011

Yay. ^^"

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments FUN FACT: The total amount of work I've accomplished in the last six days is: 3,472

message 14: by Lena, Mage (new)

Nice! Keep it up!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Total Word Count for the Last Two Days: 142

Aw. :(

message 16: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Alyssa | 821 comments Mod
Keep writing!! :)

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Current Word Count For Total Work: 59, 964

I know I haven't been active on here for a while, but I'm still in the game! I just decided to undergo several major re-writes that set me back a little, but the good news is:

I'M OFFICIALLY AT THE HALFWAY MARK IN MY NOVEL!!!

message 18: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

Kaitlyn Deann (kaitlyn_deann) | 139 comments Mod
Congrats!!! :))

message 19: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

YAYAY!!! XD

message 20: by Lena, Mage (new)

Great job!! That's so exciting!!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Word Count For Last Night: 296

Is it possible for a child character to throw a tantrum or two in the story and still be likeable? XD

message 22: by Lena, Mage (new)

I would think so... As long as it fits with their character

message 23: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (last edited Jan 25, 2016 08:26AM) (new)

Yes, as long as it fits their developmental phase. (So, really, it depends on their age and how the tantrum is. I would recommend doing research on Freud and Erikson's theories on child development.)

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Late Night + Coffee + Writer's Block = #LETMEDIE!

message 25: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

Writer block cures: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives...

I hope that helps some!

message 26: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

By the way, do we call you Scorpio or do you have a name you'd like us to call you by? :))

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "By the way, do we call you Scorpio or do you have a name you'd like us to call you by? :))"

On here you can call me Bailey. :) That's my first name, though I don't want to reveal my full name until I'm published.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments ~~ Worries of a First-Time Novelist ~~

God, I have so many anxieties when it comes to my writing:

I always worry it won't ever sell (I want to be traditionally published).

I read so many awesome books that pluck my heartstrings, and I worry I'll be unable to produce the same reaction.

I worry my hard work will go to waste.

I worry I'm not as good as I think.

I worry my editing will miss some major flaws.

I worry all my worrying will stop me from reaching success.

message 29: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

Bailey, do you have a blog? If not quite yet, dang girl, get you one. This is some serious good blogging right there.

And don't worry so much. You do the best that you can do and leave the rest up to God. I admit, I have the same worries. But don't let those worries hinder you from achieving your dreams. Bailey, take a deep breath, step out of your comfort zone, and say to yourself that you are more than good enough. You are amazing. People will see that, in you, in your work. You will have bad days, but you will have amazing days too. You'll have to learn to roll with the punches. You will have to take those bad days with the good.

You stick to your dreams and your dreams will stick with you.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Word Count For Last Night: 476

Current Total Word Count: 60, 483

It's a looong, uphill climb, my friends.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Word Count For Last Night: 579

I decided to go hard tonight until I ran out of steam. It paid off. Probably going to need serious editing tomorrow, but at least the words are there.

message 32: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Yay! You did 579 more words then I did! ;)

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Well, no progress tonight or last night. Anyone got any good tips for self-motivation? Because, not gonna lie, I spent two hours trying to find the right motivation music. Then I looked at the clock and it read five-thirty. T^T

It's not like I'm bored with this story, I want to finish it (it's actually a duology) in its entirety. I want to see it done and there's no way on God's-Green-Earth I'm quitting 61K words in.

But...is it normal to write an important, revealing, plot-relevant scene and not be as excited as you thought you would be? It's not an action scene (I always get inspired when those pop up), but it's still a big moment. I'm just hoping I wrote it well enough...

(P.S - I usually write in the dining room, but from now on I think I'll stick to my bedroom. At least then I can beat my head on a pillow)

message 34: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what I can say. When I don't really feel into it, I'll write some kind of short story for my blog...

Good luck with inspiration!

message 35: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (last edited Jan 31, 2016 08:15AM) (new)

Scorpio-of-Autumn wrote: "Well, no progress tonight or last night. Anyone got any good tips for self-motivation? Because, not gonna lie, I spent two hours trying to find the right motivation music. Then I looked at the cloc..."

Bailey, rest assured it is normal to write an important scene and not be super excited. Once you finish the first draft and go back to the beginning to start your first revision, that's usually when the excitement hits--at least for me. Reading the book through and adding/subtracting parts is rejuvenating for me. When I come across those scenes that I drug myself through, I find a new passion for said scene, and sometimes I'll rewrite the whole thing. It may not happen this way for you, but it has happened to me. :) Chin up! You can do it!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Word Count for Last Night: 205

Plus some editing.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments My laptop is starting to act a tad wonky in its old age, so I transferred my novel files over to Google Drive. The formatting on there is a little different, so my novel just jumped from 127 pages to 140. :)

Anyone else ever use Google Drive for writing? I'm still trying to adjust to it.

message 38: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Wow. And no, I haven't used it.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Anyone want to check out my sneak-peak board on Pinterest? ;)

https://www.pinterest.com/scorpioautu...

message 40: by Lena, Mage (new)

Oooh!! Love the armor and all the corsets!! :)

message 41: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Oooh, I like it!! :D

message 42: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

I followed your board! Love it! Warning: I might end up stealing a few for my story boards ;) lol

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "I followed your board! Love it! Warning: I might end up stealing a few for my story boards ;) lol"

No problem! Share the love!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Word Count: 148

I'm having a real problem with inspiration, lately. I miss the early days when ideas would fly into my brain. Now I'm hurting for scene ideas, although I know where I want the plot to go.

message 45: by Kaitlyn, Huntress (new)

I feel ya. There are days that I'm on a roll, and others that I just can't seem to find the words.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Word Count: 639

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I could go longer, but I have school in the morning, so I better go to sleep.

message 47: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

That's GREAT!!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Total Words Written In Past Week or So (I'm Way Too Tired to Care): 2, 015

I refuse to let writer's block make me its prey again! ... Even though there's a whole crap-load of story/details I need to get out in the next two chapters (no more than two, it would be boring otherwise [trust me]) and I have no clue yet how imma do dat.

Dun cure. Rye now...sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Word Count: 405

So. Much. WIN!!!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 57 comments Last Night's Word Count: 1,207

I had to re-write the whole bloomin' chapter from yesterday; but I'm satisfied. :3

« previous 1