What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for books about returning to an abandoned earth.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 129 comments I am looking for book that for whatever reason earth is abandoned, years later for whatever reason someone comes back/ is sent back/ forced back to earth where we find .........

This idea is stuck in my brain but I can't find any books that fit. Lots of end of the world stuff but nothing about resettlement.

Thank you for any ideas you might have.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Moving to "requests: for books in general."

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 129 comments Thank you I thought I must have stuck it in the wrong place because when I went back to find it I couldn't.

Oops sorry thank you for fixing it for me

Jess

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments The 100 there is a tv series based loosely on this series of books about people living in space who return to earth to try living on it after 100 or so years of abandoning it.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Valerie wrote: "The 100 there is a tv series based loosely on this series of books about people living in space who return to earth..."

I don't know about the books. I've never read it but the TV show is awesome!

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1339 comments Lol, I passed this heading and then sped back to it when I remembered, you guessed it... The 100. The tv show is awesome, and I remember in the special bonus bit they said they wrote the show from a book that hadn't been published yet. Now I'm just hanging out for season 2, but not quite sure how it's gunna work with them all on earth!

There's also the Will Smith & son movie about returning to earth, that may have come from a book. After Earth.

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) MJ wrote: "Lol, I passed this heading and then sped back to it when I remembered, you guessed it... The 100. The tv show is awesome, and I remember in the special bonus bit they said they wrote the show from ..."

Season two is just as great. We watched it within a few days only (on Netflix).

message 8: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 52 comments Dawn for a Distant Earth is the first book in the Forever Hero trilogy by L.E. Modesitt which deals with a mostly abandoned earth for ecological reasons and the effort by one man to reclaim it.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments The Space Prodigal by Carl Sherell definitely qualifies. Earth was abandoned centuries or even millennia ago, and humanity left the solar system and has lived in space and on other planets ever since. Something forces Our Hero to crash land on Earth, and instead of the barren wasteland he expects he finds himself living in what amounts to a fantasy novel.

Not a great book, but not bad. I frequent quite a few forums geared towards books and reading, especially science fiction and fantasy, but I have never encountered anyone else who read this book. It's weird.

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 129 comments Thank you for all your suggestions I have put "Dawn for a Distant Earth" on hold at the library.

The 100 is going to be a pass for me I have not heard good reviews for the book. I heard that the T.V. show is much changed from the books... but thankyou to all who stopped to help me :)

I also came across a book called "tarreforming earth" that i am going to check into.

Any other ideas?

message 11: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Nov 29, 2015 07:10AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1729 comments _The 100_ by Kass Morgan (basis of the show, also mentioned in this thread:)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

_Alien Earth_ by Megan Lindholm
_The Einstein Intersection_ (aliens, not humans)
_City_ by Simak (kinda)
_Time Salavager_
_A World Out of Time_ by Niven

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 261 comments The City of Ember is a book that also gave me the feeling of mankind returning to earth where they belong :-)

message 13: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Do they need to actually leave the planet, and come back, or can the characters go into hiding and then reemerge on post nuclear earth?
If the latter
Children of the Dust
Outside

message 14: by Lsophia (new)

Lsophia | 153 comments Breed to Come features humans returning to earth, only to find other sentient life forms have evolved.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 129 comments Thank you for the new suggestion... Off to check them out.

message 16: by Kaion (last edited Dec 08, 2015 02:08PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Lilith's Brood, from the iconic Octavia Butler

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Last Planet is another one where people return--entirely by accident--to an Earth in the far future. This was written by the same author as Lsophia's suggestion (message #14). Ms. Norton was a very interesting author, and many of the biggies in sci-fi and fantasy today were influenced by her work, and by the work of others who were influenced by her. She had a very long publishing live (her first published book was released in 1934, her last--um this year. . .) She died back in 2005, but between reprints and books that had been awaiting printing, well, they are still coming. Yes, I will admit to being a major fangirl, I even went into my local bookstore the day after she died and pointed out to them that they needed to do SOMETHING to honour her. When they asked who she was, I took the manager back to the sci-fi/fantasy section of the bookstore and pointed to the entire 2 shelves they had of her works. . . He put up some black ribbon around her shelves, along with the notice that she'd passed away. So, yes, just a tiny bit of a fan. :o) Check her out, you might turn into a fan too.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 129 comments Thanks you for the suggestion I will check it out.